With Mike Westhoff retiring, New York Jets assistant special teams coordinator Ben Kotwica has moved into the role of special teams coordinator. To fill his spot, the Jets have hired former NFL punter Louie Aguiar. Louie Aguiar punted for the Jets, Kansas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears over the course of a 10-year career in the NFL.
The New York Jets have hired Louie Aguiar to assist Ben Kotwica with the special teams this season, according to a post by Aguiar on Facebook. With Mike Westhoff gone, the Jets special teams will be under the microscope, with the performance of the units under Ben Kotwica and Louie Aguiar held to a high standard.
Louie Aguiar began his NFL career with the Jets, punting for New York during the 1991-1993 seasons. After topping a 40-yard average just once in three seasons, Louie Aguiar moved on to join the Kansas City Chiefs, where he found his stroke. Aguiar averaged over 41.7 yards per punt in each of his five seasons with the Chiefs. He finished his career by spending one season with the Green Bay Packers. His final season was with the Chicago Bears, where he failed to reach the 40-yard average mark with both teams. Louie Aguiar finished his NFL career with 758 punts, a 41.2-yard average and just one punt blocked.
After retirement, Louie Aguiar started up the Aguiar Kicking Academy, tutoring aspiring punters and kickers. Jets longsnapper Tanner Purdum used the Pro Camp offered through the Aguiar Kicking Academy to gain exposure and hopefully land a tryout. After he was released by the Chiefs, Louie Aguiar helped Tanner Purdum get a tryout with the Jets.
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Marty Mornhinweg Hired as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano: Former New York Jets Offensive Coordinator Hired by Oakland Raiders
- Bob Sutton Hired by Kansas City Chiefs as Defensive Coordinator
- Mike Pettine Hired by Buffalo Bills to Be Defensive Coordinator
- Tim McDonald Hired as New York Jets Secondary Coach
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pn9