The New York Jets are interested in cheap options at quarterback, but is former Oakland Raiders bust Jamarcus Russell really on their radar? Well, yes, according to a recent report. The Jets have had some preliminary discussions about Jamarcus Russell. They will likely be one of the (few?) teams monitoring his progress as he attempts to lose weight and get back to a point where he can compete at quarterback in the NFL. Apparently there is a possibility of the Jets signing a former No. 1 overall pick that flamed out in three seasons, finishing with 18 touchdowns and 23 interceptions.
Mind you, Jamarcus Russell was listed at about 260 pounds when he was playing for the Oakland Raiders. There might have been some pounds taken off the top for posterity, but Jamarcus Russell had since ballooned up to 320 pounds before getting the comeback attempt started. He's working with former LSU wide receiver Mark Clayton as well as Jeff Garcia and Marshall Faulk. He's working out at TEST Football Academy, famous for getting prospects prepared for the NFL Combine.
Jamarcus Russell has said that he doesn't want to be remembered as a bust. As the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, he became just that. Not only did he perform horribly on the field, but he was perhaps an even bigger bust off of it. It was pretty easy to identify him as a possible bust heading into the draft. There was talk about his struggles with the LSU playbook and he wasn't a very polished quarterback. The Raiders fell in love with his big arm, and Jamarcus Russell became a microcosm of the recent struggles for that franchise.
We would be remiss if we failed to mention Jamarcus Russell and "purple drank." Back in 2010, Jamarcus Russell was charged with felony possession of a controlled substance as police officers found a drink containing codeine syrup in his house. He was not indicted, but after all that had happened, it was the purple cherry on top.
"And now, starting quarterback for your New York Jets…"
Please don't, John Idzik.
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Alex Smith Release: New York Jets Quarterback Options
- Greg McElroy and Mark Sanchez: New York Jets Quarterback Controversy
- New York Jets’ Tim Tebow: Teammates Anonymously Rip Backup Quarterback
- New York Jets Quarterback Circus: Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, Mike Vick?
- Tim Tebow in Arizona: New York Jets Quarterback Working Out, Arizona Cardinals Connection?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pdg