The New York Jets have hired Tim McDonald as their new defensive backs coach, paving the way for Dennis Thurman to take on the role of defensive coordinator. Dennis Thurman has been rumored to be the new defensive coordinator since it was learned that Mike Pettine would not be coming back to the Jets in 2013, and the hiring of Tim McDonald facilitates that move. Tim McDonald was previously the defensive backs coach for Fresno State.
Tim McDonald is the new secondary coach for the New York Jets, moving up from Fresno State to the NFL. His accomplishments in just two seasons at Fresno State are impressive, as he was part of a drastic improvement in the team's pass defense during his first season. While the Jets are already one of the best defenses in the league against the pass, Tim McDonald will be counted on to keep them on top.
In 2012, Tim McDonald was named the Football Scoop defensive backs coach of the year for the dramatic turnaround at Fresno State. In 2011, Fresno State ranked 106th in the nation in pass defense, shooting all the way up to fifth nationally under the tutelage of Tim McDonald. The team went from five interceptions in 2011 to 20 in 2012, including six returned for touchdowns. Those are the kind of improvements that get you noticed as a coach.
While the changes certainly won't be as drastic, getting a new perspective from a coach with experience solving a secondary's problems should be a benefit to an already very strong unit. The Jets will likely be losing LaRon Landry, so some of the younger safeties that could possibly fill in (Josh Bush and Antonio Allen) should benefit from Tim McDonald. Beyond that, Dennis Thurman will surely still keep an eye on the secondary from time to time, offering an extra pair of discerning eyes.
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Mike Pettine Hired by Buffalo Bills to Be Defensive Coordinator
- Rex Ryan: New York Jets Head Coach Voted Most Overrated Coach in NFL
- New York Jets to Promote Dennis Thurman to Defensive Coordinator
- Bob Sutton Hired by Kansas City Chiefs as Defensive Coordinator
- New York Jets’ Rex Ryan: Lots of Change Coming but Head Coach Should Stay
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/p51