There has been talk about Mike Vick and the New York Jets being a match since the end of the regular season, with the Jets quarterback situation in a state of flux and Mike Vick being a free agent. Some thought that with the hiring of Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator after being with the Philadelphia Eagles, the chances of Mike Vick in a Jets uniform would be even higher. On the contrary, Mike Vick and Marty Mornhinweg are not the best match.
Mike Vick in a New York Jets uniform? Don't count on it. The Jets were thrown around as a possible destination for the left handed, polarizing quarterback (sound like somebody currently on the roster?), given the state of their quarterback situation with Mark Sanchez having completely imploded over the course of the 2012 season. Money being an issue, and with a report from Adam Schefter that Mike Vick and new Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg didn't finish the season on good terms, it's safe to say that Mike Vick won't be trading in his Eagles garb for Jets green.
Is that something to be disappointed about? Not really, unless you were looking forward to another season with a quarterback whose career completion percentage rests well below 60 percent. Plus, Mike Vick hasn't played a full, 16-game season since 2006, which was before he spent time in prison on dog fighting charges. Having suffered a concussion this season, and with his ability to run being vital for a quarterback with a low completion percentage, Mike Vick probably wasn't going to be a great choice no matter who the offensive coordinator was.
There have been whispers about Tarvaris Jackson, as John Idzik is a noted supporter of the current Buffalo Bills backup from his time with the Seattle Seahawks. While Tarvaris Jackson will come cheap, there are better options that should be higher on the list. Matt Moore and Jason Campbell seem to be better options that can come in and make this team competitive right away.
The Jets are going to be targeting a relatively cheap quarterback that can come in and compete with Mark Sanchez. It won't be Mike Vick. It might be Tarvaris Jackson, but is that really the quarterback this team needs? There are others available that have shown the ability to win with less talent than the Jets currently have, and adding someone like Matt Moore makes this team instantly better.
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Marty Mornhinweg Hired as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Marty Mornhinweg and Tim Tebow: Connection for New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- New York Jets Quarterback Circus: Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, Mike Vick?
- Mike Pettine: New York Jets Grant Buffalo Bills Permission to Interview Defensive Coordinator
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/p17