The New York Jets are set to have a press conference at 11 AM today, but there are reports that offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh have been told that they will be fired. These aren't earth-shattering revelations, but previously it had been reported that coaching staff decisions wouldn't be made until there was a new general manager in place. Either way, these are two firings that were expected to happen.
Things will be changing on the offensive side of the ball for the New York Jets. Matt Cavanaugh has been a marked man since last season and Tony Sparano put together an offense this season that could be described as anything but impressive. One would assume that change in these spots can only be for the better, but the Jets need a lot of help on offense. It will be critical that the organization find two good coaches that fit with the team's overall philosophy.
Names like Norv Turner and Cam Cameron have been thrown around for the offensive coordinator role. Of the two Cam Cameron seems to be more likely given his relationship with Rex Ryan from their time together with the Baltimore Ravens. The Jets will have to wait until they hire a general manager before beginning their search in earnest.
It will be interesting to see where the Jets turn to find a new quarterbacks coach. Mark Sanchez doesn't seem to have improved in many areas under Matt Cavanaugh, and the position isn't a strength at this point. Anyone interested in a reclamation project?
Today's press conference should be interesting. We will get you the important notes as soon as possible.
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- New York Jets Fire Mike Tannebaum, Tony Sparano Will not Return
- New York Jets: Why Does Everyone Want to Fire Rex Ryan?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/olu