The New York Jets will take the next step in hiring process on Friday as they begin interviewing several potential general managers. The Jets have reached out to a few candidates, including Marc Ross of the New York Giants and Tom Heckert of the Cleveland Browns. Woody Johnson enlisted the help of search firm Korn/Ferry International, which helped the NFL hire commissioner Roger Goodell. So far the candidates mentioned have all been very popular, contacted by multiple teams looking for general managers.
The New York Jets are moving quickly to replace fired general manager Mike Tannenbaum, ready to move on from a 6-10 season in 2012 and fill the holes on the roster and the coaching staff. Whoever does accept the job will have to then hire a new offensive coordinator, then start thinking about ways to improve the roster. Who are the Jets expected to interview?
Tom Heckert: Recently fired by the Cleveland Browns, and one of the hottest names out there for open positions in NFL front offices. Andy Reid supposedly wants him to tag along with him if he accepts the Arizona Cardinals job, though Arizona is said to be against that package deal.
Tom Gamble: Director of player personnel for the San Francisco 49ers, a team loaded with young talent. The 49ers have made some great personnel decisions the past few years, which is why Tom Gamble is such a popular candidate. Where he lands could be an indication of the general perception of the Jets as a franchise right now, as just about every team looking for a general manager is interested.
Marc Ross: Another popular candidate, and one that might end up seeing the Jets as a good fit. Marc Ross wouldn't have to go anywhere and it would be a step up in responsibility for the New York Giants; current director of college scouting. This is another interesting dynamic with the back-and-forth between the Jets and Giants.
Tom Heckert, Tom Gamble and Marc Ross are the three leading candidates to be the next Jets general manager. Can one of these three help turn the team around?
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- New York Jets Fire Mike Tannebaum, Tony Sparano Will not Return
- New York Jets’ Rex Ryan: Lots of Change Coming but Head Coach Should Stay
- Tailgate 4 the Tri-State to Unite New York Jets and New York Giants Fans to Benefit Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts