Mark Sanchez played turnover-free football, Bilal Powell provided a little spark on offense and the New York Jets left St. Louis with a 27-13 win over the St. Louis Rams. Historically under Rex Ryan the Jets have played their best football when their backs are against the wall, with some kind of turmoil surrounding the team. That was true again yesterday, as the Jets overcame the controversy about the anonymous comments concerning Tim Tebow and grabbed a much-needed win.
The New York Jets did exactly what they needed to do: they didn't turn the ball over, they rushed effectively and the defense squeezed the life out of Brian Schottenheimer and the St. Louis Rams after surrendering an early touchdown. That's the formula that has worked for the Jets under Rex Ryan, and Mark Sanchez was able to execute it well by not beating himself. Mark Sanchez was in control, didn't force anything and allowed the Jets offense to run its course.
Mark Sanchez finished the day 178 yards passing and a 25-yard touchdown pass to Chaz Schilens. Nothing spectacular but again, he didn't do anything to hurt the team. Bilal Powell rushed for 42 yards on 11 carries, including two touchdowns. Shonn Greene was able to grind out 62 yards on 17 carries.
The Jets forced three turnovers on defense, with Eric Smith intercepting Sam Bradford and Bart Scott and Garrett McIntyre recovering fumbles. Nick Folk made two of his four field goal attempts on the day.
The win pushes the Jets up to 4-6 in the season. It might seem ridiculous to talk about at this point, but the Jets are two games out of a Wild Card spot. With a short week before a Thanksgiving night game against the New England Patriots this Thursday, the Jets have a chance to make a real push with a win this week.
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- New York Jets: What to Make of Sunday’s Game Versus St. Louis Rams
- New York Jets Versus St. Louis Rams Week 11 Injury Report: Inactives
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/myr