The Year of Eli Bashing continued on Wednesday as former Dallas Cowboys quarterback and current FOX Sports analyst, Troy Aikman, took aim at quarterback Eli Manning and essentially blamed him for all of the New York Giants' offensive woes throughout training camp and the preseason.
"I share that concern, from what I've seen," Aikman told Newsday. "From what I saw, I saw a quarterback really struggle within this offense.
"I don't think the notion that, well, it's a new offense, that that is the entire reason."
Aikman drew from his own experience and compared his adjustment to a new offense to that of Eli's adjustment and, as you might expect, essentially patted himself on the back for being able to succeed where Eli has, thus far, failed — in Aikman's optinion, anyway.
"Everything was dramatically different from what I had been doing and what I believed as an offensive guy, so it was challenging," Aikman said. "We still had success, but I understand how difficult that can be," Aikman said. "From what I've seen of Eli in the preseason, he just does not seem to be as comfortable with what he's being asked to do in that offense."
Given Manning's extremely limited reps and the ongoing issues between he and Rueben Randle — not to mention the questionable pass protection — it's hard to point the finger at him and blame him for the majority of their preseason woes. And while he's not entirely without blame — as was the case during the 2013 season — it's hardly his fault entirely.
Between Aikman and Boomer Esiason, the Manning/Giants bashing has become almost comical.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Troy Aikman
- Rich Gannon: New York Giants Taking a “Risk” by Changing Offensive System with Eli Manning
- New York Giants’ Eli Manning: Peyton is the Better Quarterback, but I’m Better in the Sack
- Eliot Shorr-Parks: Eagles’ Nick Foles a Better Quarterback than New York Giants’ Eli Manning
- Retired New York Giants QB Phil Simms on Eli Manning: Offensive Change Won’t Be Tough for Him