Last season, Randle's miscommunication and not on the same page with Manning was the result of seven interceptions; two of which were during the team's Week 6 loss to the Chicago Bears and one of those two were a pick-six returned for a touchdown. In the preseason, the timing issues have continued as Randle still seems like he isn't on the same page as Manning and it has people wondering if Randle will simply ever get it, especially after he was drafted three years ago as "one of the most ready receivers in the league."
There was some reported divide between the Giants on Randle and if the team thinks he can take the next step forward from being the third or fourth receiver into one of the top two receivers and thus far, the summer and preseason hasn't exactly given anyone the confidence that Randle will take that next step and be the kind of deep threat Manning needs on the field.
One person though on the team still believes in the Manning-to-Randle connection and them getting it right, as Giants leading receiver Victor Cruz offered his support and optimism for the duo this coming season.
“I haven’t yet (talked to Randle), because I don’t think they’re necessarily struggling,” Cruz told the Daily News. “There are a couple of instances where we just haven’t gotten the timing down with him (Manning) and Rueb. But there are ways we can do things in practice to figure that out.”
Manning and Randle were able to connect on a touchdown this preseason; a 15-yard score in the second quarter of the Giants victory two weeks ago over the New York Jets, but with that step forward, Randle went two steps back as he again looked lost in the team's preseason finale against the New England Patriots last week.
With Hakeem Nicks now on the Indianapolis Colts and Mario Manningham on season-ending injured reserve, the Giants are really hoping that Randle will finally get it, get on the same page with the two-time Super Bowl winning MVP and be the receiver the Giants expected when they drafted him a couple of years ago.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rueben Randle, Victor Cruz
- Retired Giants OC Kevin Gilbride Feels Eli Manning, Tom Coughlin Lack Trust in Rueben Randle
- Giants’ Tom Coughlin Frustrated by Continued Disconnect Between Eli Manning, Rueben Randle
- New York Giants’ Rueben Randle Making Significant Progress; May See Some Time at Slot Receiver
- New York Giants WRs Mario Manningham, Victor Cruz Working with QB Eli Manning at Duke University
- New York Giants’ Rueben Randle Launches New Charity, L.I.F.E. Foundation