New York Giants Power Rankings Roundup: Week 1

September 3rd, 2014 at 3:00 PM

The NFL regular season officially gets underway tomorrow night when the Green Bay Packers take on the Seattle Seahawks, and that signifies a number of things including the start of NFL Power Rankings. And while some companies and newspapers have been running them since the onset of training camps, most have waited for Week 1.

Well, Week 1 is finally here and so to are the multiple versions of NFL Power Rankings. Now the question becomes: Where do the New York Giants stack up?

Let's take a look, shall we?

Week 1 NFL Power Rankings
This WeekLast WeekChangeNotes
ESPN2019-1N/A
Daily News24N/AN/A
NFL.com2419-5N/A
CBS Sports21N/AN/A
Yahoo! Sports2321-2N/A
Newsday24N/AN/A
Washington Post19N/AN/A
Bleacher Report2020No ChangeN/A
Chicago Tribune21N/AN/A

So no real major surprise, the Giants are poorly rated across the board. Their highest ranking game via Bleacher Report (No. 19), while their stock rose in a grand total of zero Internet-wide Power Rankings. They average in the mid- to low-20's and given their first-team preseason performance(s), that seems to be a fitting placement.

Expect to see drastic changes across the board following the conclusion of Week 1 when we get to see what each team really has to bring to the table.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks

Short URL:

21 Responses to “New York Giants Power Rankings Roundup: Week 1”

So the expert consensus is that we’re a low level mediocre team. What’s that translate to … 6 or 7 wins?

I guess according to most of you it means I should just scout college football games instead of watching the Giants this year? It’s not like the Giants ever surprise.

•  Krow says:

Course not. I watch our boys through thick and thin. And even lousy seasons have some outstanding moments. But why do we have to always delude ourselves that we’re better than we are?

Last year we were a weak 7-9. We’re not substantially different. Things could change and change rapidly. But until they do all we can go by is what we see in front of us.

3.  James Stoll says:

so much hate
    gonna make for a great phoenix from the ashes story if they can surprise

starts with a Week 1 beatdown of Detroit

34-17

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

There’s no way you actually believe that. However, I had the same thought: if the Giants somehow surprise and run the tables again, it’s another one of those 2007-like scenarios (although nothing will ever compare) where they came from nowhere.

•  Krow says:

That’s the big hope … start slow, but then get healthy and hot as the season winds to a conclusion. To me it’s the best scenario. But we still can’t get ourselves in a deep hole early.

Those are probably fair estimates based upon what people saw in preseason. But as I frequently say, we on this site know this team far better than do most of the so-called experts. They don’t know about the young talent, and most have concluded, very wrongly in my opinion, that Eli is on a downward curve.

Let’s wait-and-see. The NFL defies expectations almost every year.

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

Look, i’m just being realistic about this season. I don’t see us winning many games at all. Cap it at 6. 7 TOPS. I dont think this team is that good, and i think we’re a few years away from being back on top.

Look I can’t say you’re not being realistic in your view saying you see 6 wins at most. But you also cannot say that I’m not doing the same if I think we can win the division. I view the other teams especially Philly way different than you. I said the same about Washington last year. They are overrated for catching the NFL by surprise. But surprises happen, this is the NFL. I remember saying last year the only team I couldn’t see winning the division is Philly. This year that team is Dallas. We think we know but sometimes we don’t always and also injuries and surprise players become huge factors.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

ya, I can. And the difference is that I just don’t see what you seem to see in this team?

I see a bad group of WR, a DL that can’t get to the QB, a QB who can’t seem to throw to his own team and has regressed in the past few seasons… and a tough schedule.

Also, you need to realize that PHILLY has a VERY good team. And so does Washington.

BBG – What does Philly have besides a great RB a very good OL. There’s a bunch of nice players but no one special and some player like their WRs that aren’t even average. Their TEs are nice but not going to beat you alone. They let go their other special offensive player. On defense Cole use to be that but now they have some good players but no one special. I don’t think they have an average defense. They have more pass rush questions than us and below average CBs. There’s nothing special about that team. And now everyone knows what they do. We have seen maybe times it recent years offensives and QBs that come out of nowhere struggle the next year. And that team doesn’t have great talent like SF did a few years ago. Their talent is anymore than ours or the skins. And if Dallas ever found a way to just be like 20th bad on defense they would be dangerous too. I definitely take both Washington and Dallas skill wise. And I take Washington’s defense over Philly’s. I don’t see the superior talent. I get the questions about us and Washington make Philly the favorite but I just don’t see a great team or even a team in the same league as GB or NO.

6.  BBWC says:

The lower they rank us the better we’ll be. It always seems when they expect us to be good we stink and visa versa. I hope they drop us down even further. The players will feel disrespected and actually show up to play? imagine that!

7.  James Stoll says:

I for one want to see this defense with Beason plugged into the middle, McClain at his natural position, Prince back, and a well-conceived (fingers crossed) game plan from Fewell

I also want to see if MacAdoo really has been holding back, if he can “re-develop” his game plan as the game goes on, if Eli can master this offense, and if Jernigan and Randal can really step up.

I have convinced myself that sheer lack of numbers will require TC to play Washington at least a little. I’m believing he will pleasantly surprise.

Giants 34 Lions 17.

I’ve said this before but will again. IF they can stop the run cold, and can get just enough passing to keep the safeties honest and thereby successfully run the ball, then the quality of our defensive secondary and our punter could get us 3-4 more wins than any current analysis would suggest.

We’d have to win big on turnover comparison and keep pinning opposing offenses deep in their territory so we win the field position game. That isn’t an absurd expectation, and IF (a very big “if”) they manage to do all of those things then the season could surprise a lot of people. Given the lack of depth at a number of positions, though, we also have to be a lot luckier in regard to injuries than we’ve been for years, and as we have so far this season.

A lot would have to go right. But that’s why they play the games. Just think back and consider what you thought the odds were in 2007 that they would make the playoffs after that fiasco against the Vikes. If you’re honest, you saw less reason for optimism then than you do now. So you just never know.

•  James Stoll says:

even before the Vikings game. coming off of ’06 I was sure ’07 would be a disaster. I wanted Coughlin’s head .. Remember? of course, I still do.
      Remember you were hating on Michael Strahan for holding out all summer.
      Had no idea who Spags was.
      Had no expectations for Tuck.
      and then the Vikes, the Skins in the rain, and the first half in Buffalo
      then Bradshaw made it snow; Tom played to win against the Patriots in Week 17 and off they went

the problem of course, is for every one of those years we have to choke down 3, 4, 5 of the dismal ones

we’ve now missed the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years and we’ve turned in a lot (an awful lot) of stinky football along the way

amazes me that Tommy and Jerry still have jobs

but with a 34-17 win over Detroit on Monday night, we could be off

Ah, the good old days! Yeah, I was so mad at Strahan I think I suggested trading him for two #2 picks (in 2008 and 2009) if we could get them. But, on the other hand, I did say I really liked the team and thought they would win a championship by 2008 (sort of like I’m saying this team may be able to compete for one in 2015 after another good draft….maybe they’ll be a year early again?).

I wanted to kill the coaches after that Minnesota game because I thought it was the worst game plan I’d ever seen….until the plan against the Eagles in the playoffs the next season, which was the worst I have ever seen from a coaching staff in all my days as a fan. I also wanted Shockey dropped from the team immediately because I thought a good number of those picks were his fault and he had the lack of class to first run wrong routes and then publicly make it seem it was his young quarterback’s fault.

One of my favorite days as a Giants fan was when it became clear that they would not keep that gutter-dweller even if he had some talent. Of course, the general run of fans love him. He’ll be cheered someday at Met Life. I will be the one you hear booing as loud as I can.

9.  LAFgoesON says:

I agree. Most teams win whenever they win the turnover battle. With the way our secondary has been consistantly placing themselves in position for interceptions, and the way we’ve been shutting down the run (dating back to last season), I believe our defense could conceivably carry us through at least 4 wins on their own.

This reminds me of 2011 because we are starting the season without some players who will return an can make an impact. We haven’t played together at full strength yet and might not until for at least a month. If we can survive these OL injuries early we really can build depth on the OL and we still can add Herman back in 4 weeks.

Beason will add a presence and so will Moore actually getting snaps with the starting group. I wish we played tomorrow I just want to go ahead and play the game.

Also we don’t know what we have in McAdoo. Some assume he will struggle at first but he might be the one that causes defenses to adjust to him. He was very highly thought of and we could have a young offensive innovator on our side. If we execute simple blocking and throws we should be able to hit with some stuff they are not ready for yet. I look for an aggressive passing game to start to get Detroit on their heels.