New York Giants Cutdown Day (53-Man) Scorecard

August 30th, 2014 at 8:00 AM

The NFL's final cutdown day of 2014 has officially arrived! And while it may be an exciting time for fans, it's an unfortunate day for hundreds of athlete's. That will be no different for the New York Giants, who need to make 22 total transactions in order to get down to a 53-man roster by 4:00 PM EST.

Because information on departing players comes in drips and drabs, we here at Giants 101 offer you the following "scorecard" (of sorts) to better help you keep track of all of Big Blue's moves throughout the day. But please keep in mind that some players listed as waived/released may actually have been given a different designation — at least that has happened in the past. So until the team makes it official, don't be too quick to say goodbye to a player you were rooting for.

Waived/Released/Cut:

• Guard Mark Asper

Waived/Injured:

• Offensive lineman Roger Gaines

Reserve/Injured:

Reserve/Suspended:

Physically Unable to Perform List:

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Bennett Jackson, Dan Fox, Eric Herman, Football, Israel Idonije, Jayron Hosley, John Conner, Jon Beason, Kelcy Quarles, Kellen Davis, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Trindon Holliday

Short URL:

78 Responses to “New York Giants Cutdown Day (53-Man) Scorecard”

1 2 3
  1.  James Stoll says:

James Stoll says:
    August 30, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    Just watched the Shannon Sharpe/ Skip Bayless interview. Yikes. Lots of hate. The one point they made over and over is that Eli led the league and INTs last season, 3x in his career, and thus he stinks and the Giants will stink this year.
    For all the objective criticism I am willing to entertain regarding Eli’s recent play, his age and contract, one at least ought to get their facts semi-straight.
    Joining Eli as INT leaders are the following QBs: Brett Favre (4x), Kenny Stabler (2x 33 INTs in 1978 when they went to the supe), Fran Tarkenton (in a Super Bowl year), Joe Namath (3x), George Blanda (2x), John Hadle.
    Pretty good company.
    So looking at the INT stat alone is more than a tad misleading.

•  Dirt says:

Yes. And by that logic I suppose they’re willing to concede that Nick Foles is the greatest quarterback who ever lived.

2.  Dirt says:

FF55 comes here and says the readers here generally know more about this team than anyone in the media and often gets laughed at.

I’m pretty sure during the broadcast on Thursday, one of the commentators – a homer, mind you – was saying how Coughlin loves Idonije.

First man down: Idonije.

3.  G-MenFan says:

Corey Washington officially makes the team.

Kellen Davis cut.

4.  skinnydoogan says:

Curious about Idonije, guy still has something to add, but I guess the sample is kind of “tainted” since he was beasting scrubs.

5.  James Stoll says:

Aarghhhh

No more Painter

Well, I hope they can get Jackson and Quarles to the practice team because I think each could contribute next season.

And I sure hope another team needs a fullback because John Conner is a class act who is plenty good enough to still play in this league.

They cut the right tight end, but probably are looking closely at the waiver wire to see if someone is better than Donnell or Fells (I’d keep the latter but would not hesitate to trade in the former).

Tough day for Idonije. This may be the end for him. It’s those veterans who have done well in camp but have a younger, cheaper, alternative that teams can use for whom you have to feel a little sympathy (almost as much as for the kids who are seeing their lifelong dreams of an NFL career shattered today).

I’ve said it before. I would NOT want to be Tom Coughlin today. Those meetings must be brutal.

7.  turkish says:

Pete Damilatis ?@PFF_Pete 1m
    Glad to see Corey Washington make the Giants 53-man roster. +3.1 @PFF receiving grade was 8th-best of any WR in preseason.

For all of the PFF haters under this bridge.

Huh??? No one who even watched a bit of the preseason needed PFF to tell him that Washington was making the roster. You just had to believe your eyes.

I am not one to say that PFF is useless, but football statistics are definitely of limited use. There is simply no reasonable way to measure the results of each play when the outcome depends upon 22 moving pieces and the various possibilities and probabilities therein. It’s the ultimate team sport. So my advice to anyone would be to take a look at the PFF stuff if you like, and then discount it’s value to be equal to something on the order of the opinion of a friend of yours who is pretty knowledgeable about the NFL: clearly worth considering but far from definitive.

•  turkish says:

Sorry sir, you are way off on PFF and its grading system. also, you should follow/read what Pete has to say about the Giants. He’s a fan of the team.

Would probably be a good idea for you to check out the PFF grading system.

•  skinnydoogan says:

+1000 Turk

•  Krow says:

They certainly give it a good effort … and they put in the work. Definitely worth a read. BUT … as FF55 points out, there are too many inter-dependencies to claim any real validity. Plus they don’t perform any regression analysis. So when … for instance … Will Beatty gets rated as the 4th best LOT in the NFL no one goes back and figures out what went wrong after it becomes quite obvious that he isn’t. They behave as if they’re right even in the face of refuting evidence. Frankly they’re not scientific in their approach. They measure … but there’s no way to PROVE that what they measure means anything. And there’s a good deal of plain old subjectivity in their numbers. Deciding if someone carried out their assignment is just that … a DECISION. Not a measurement. Not a fact.

Okay, I looked at it and they ARE more sophisticated than I assumed. But that still can never allow them to take into consideration everything that goes on during any given play because the possibilities are almost limitless. It appears to me that their system is very useful as a first cut (and much more accurate than simple stats like how many sacks a player has, or how many interceptions a quarterback throws) but it still cannot take into account how a coordinator’s game plan and a middle linebackers key reads and calls did or did not change the play’s outcome. They admittedly only assess the actual outcome of each play and grade the players involved accordingly. But if there are, let’s say, four players involved in a play directly, and another four they assess as indirectly involved, there are still fourteen who may or may not have affected that play by things as simple as whether an offensive lineman leaned one way or another in his stance (and whether the MLB noticed), what call a safety made to his teammates, whether a receiver was passed off at just the right moment from one defender to another. Hell, whether a player ate enough carbs two hours before the game or not can affect a play’s outcome.

You simply cannot measure all of the factors that go into the success or failure of a football team. There are too many variables. I agree that PFF looks like a very good way of STARTING to look at things beyond what you see, but unlike baseball and basketball where Moneyball-like advanced statistical analysis is clearly useful because of the number of one-on-one matchups, football has too many moving parts that are interconnected. It really is the ultimate team sport. Statistics are of some. limited, value. But they can never really tell the story. In the end about all we can really know is who won and who lost. The scoreboard is accurate. Why it got that way is impossible to clearly measure.

•  Dirt says:

If PFF knew the playbooks and what play was called on each play, they could have a more valid claim about whether someone did well on a given play.

With that being said, the New York Football Giants are a paying client of PFF’s, so there’s some validity to their product.

•  Dirt says:

Also, to Krow’s beef every time PFF comes up, and in light of their services provided to the Giants, we have a nugget of insight into why Will Beatty was handed a ton of undeserved money by the Giants.

•  Krow says:

To be honest we all thought Will Beatty was at least a decent LOT. I know I did. I never said he stunk … just that he was a B guy asking for A money. In the end he got a B contract. Not the A deal PFF said he was worth.

I’ve been skeptical about him. But even I thought he was a C+ (slightly better than average, but just slightly) player, and I’ve said that I do not blame Reese. He had no better alternative and he didn’t break the bank on Beatty.

I’m just worried after last season that he isn’t even a C- guy. We need him to be no worse than that.

•  Krow says:

It’s probably cheap and it can’t hurt. They pay several draft analysis firms too. It’s good to have information. But you have to take it for what it is.

The only way Hosley escaped the Turk is that he was suspended. The guy looked totally lost out there and seriously regressed. The only way he makes it to the team after his suspension is if someone gets hurt.

I’m surprised that some are concerned about Fox. I was not impressed. Looked to me like the kind of linebacker whom you can always get with a 7th pick or out of UDFA any year you want one.

9.  Dirt says:

Dan,

Might I make a small suggestion: as part of the scorecard, can you add a tally of remaining players on the roster so we can look quickly at a number and see how many cuts are left?

•  James Stoll says:

13 I think

•  skinnydoogan says:

Dirt, doesn’t matter how long I am on here, your avatar still makes me laugh, every time I take the time to look at it.

•  Dirt says:

I have plans to make it better someday when I get some time. But I need to install Photoshop on my new PC and do it, and with a 15 month old… Yeah hasn’t happened.

But like Ramses Barden, I will shock the world.

•  skinnydoogan says:

if there is ever an avatar HOF, that one is a shoe in.

I cannot help myself. I am rooting against all logic for Manningham to make the roster. Two reasons. First, the kid’s life story is so bad that he is one of those guys who I really hope finds a way to get some security for his family and he still has never managed that second contract that allows that to happen (yes, he got a second contract, but it wasn’t for the serious NFL money). He needs to somehow last another 3-4 years even if at veteran minimums to accumulate some after-tax cash. Second, unless he’s one of the unfortunates who cannot come back from an ACL injury (and those numbers have seriously dwindled over the past decade), once he gets fully healthy he could really help a team like the Giants that is short on wide receiver talent with any real experience.

I am really not happy about going through the season with a #1 receiver who is great in the slot but has never been impressive outside; an X-receiver who still cannot seem to figure out the correct routes after two years of supposed work on communicating with Eli; a very talented rookie who may be slowed by a hamstring injury the entire year; a potentially talented kid with height and guts who still doesn’t really know what he’s doing because he came from a small football program and has had zero experience against #1 and #2 corners in the NFL except in practices where he knows exactly what they’re going to try to do; another slot receiver who appears to have talent but has had a hard time showing it except at the end of last season (and whom the coaches appeared to want to waive); and someone else who would not be on most NFL rosters and may be there simply because he can return punts.

If Manningham is only a month away from getting to close to 100% I’d really like to see him kept. I don’t think it will happen and I cannot blame anyone for cutting him. I just think it could be viewed as a mistake down the road and a current personal setback for a kid who needs a break.

1 2 3