August 29th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin is absolutely fed up with the ongoing issues between quarterback Eli Manning and wide receiver Rueben Randle — so much so that he's absolutely and completely done listening to excuses. And like any successful General, he no longer cares who's at fault or how they fix the problem, so long as it gets done. Any further attempts to assign blame or point fingers is going to be disregarded.

"I thought the worst play of the night was, again, the misconnection between Rueben Randle and Eli [Manning]," Coughlin said. "The 'I thought, he thought' – one of those kinds of things. We’re all – everyone in this room – is tired of hearing that stuff. There’s no place for that."

The play Coughlin referenced occurred relatively early in the first quarter when Manning looked to hit Randle along sideline, but as the ball was released, Randle made a third cut and stopped short of where Manning thought he would be.

For the Giants, this has become a bit of an Achilles' heel. A broken record. A picture frozen in time — Manning starring blankly at Randle, who stares back with a similar blank expression. It's not as if they're on different pages so much as different planets, and it's a problem Randle admitted caused 80% of Manning's turnovers a year ago. Yet, he still doesn't think it's all that big of a deal.

"The timing. We just didn't communicate on the sideline, so the next time we communicate we’ll be able to connect on it," Randle said. "We just have to make sure we communicate and make sure we’re on the same page with the timing and all the concepts, wrapping my head around when the quarterback is ready to throw."

It's hard to tell exactly who is at fault for these ongoing issues, but given that Manning has never had such an extensive timing/communication problems with any other wide receiver throughout his NFL career, it would seem to imply that things just aren't clicking for Randle. And while that was blamed on Kevin Gilbride's complex system a season ago, the same can not be said for Ben McAdoo's infinitely more basic system here in 2014.

Whatever the case may be, Manning and Randle need to get it together within the next few days or risk serious potential consequences against the Detroit Lions in Week 1. The other thing Randle needs to do is find a cure for the dropsies — he added one more drop to his tally on Thursday night.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rueben Randle, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

48 Responses to “Giants’ Tom Coughlin Frustrated by Continued Disconnect Between Eli Manning, Rueben Randle”

1.  James Stoll says:

So cut Randal

2.  James Stoll says:

Dan,

Let’s start a cut Randal petition
    Get 10,000 signatures today and get them over to Coughlin tonight

3.  rlhjr says:

We all know its Randle. And regardless of how talented he may be, his ability to link up with his QB is a limiting factor. The good news is everybody knows.

So it’s put up or shut up and sit down time for Randle. Coughlin for his part is playing it soundly. You can’t just out one player on a team. But we again, all know that Eli ain’t getting benched. Anyone still think Washington is going to get cut next week?

Reuben Randle so stupid that he got fired from the M&M factory for throwing away all the W’s.

It was the 4th preseason game and the starters knew it. Last night game was played for the guys on the bubble and really meant little to anyone else. The energy in the building and the starters was non existent. I’m one for playing the starters to get in sync but when the focus isn’t there that’s when guys could get hurt. I’m glad TC realized he needed to take the starters out.

The starters played 2 series, let’s get serious folks. If that happened in a real game you would just play on. Of course TC is going to complain because that’s what coaches do. I just think last night mattered. If you were worried then you still should be worried. If you felt pretty good you still should feel pretty good. The 4th (5th) preseason game doesn’t tell you anything. The key is it seems we avoided injuries.

6.  James Stoll says:

My fantasy WR unit

Beckham, Cruz, Washington, Parker, Talley and a player waived by another team

•  Krow says:

I think that guys who are obviously coasting need to go … we can start with the Rube. He’s into his 3rd year and is still clueless. I know we usually let these busts run out their rookie deal, but in this case I’d like to make an exception.

And yes, he has potential. But who here really thinks it will ever be realized? He’s not bright enough or motivated enough. I’ll take a hungry UDFA over this entitled turd any day of the week.

7.  jahmyrr says:

I can see RR and company being like the initial first team from Wildcats with Eli playing Woody Harrelsons role….

In the huddle Eli giving the plays as RR turns and says “Speak EngIish. Nobody understands that code ISHT except you!”…. So Eli starts drawing RRs routes out on his hand so he understands.

•  Krow says:

We should go all Pavlovian on him. You know … when he runs the right route he gets a tasty snack. Wrong route an electrical shock.

Tomorrows headline: Reuben Randle electrocuted.

I’m going to throw this out there … and you can all say I’m crazy … but I think there’s something physically wrong with Eli. He’s not throwing the same ball that he used to throw. It’s weaker … less accurate. I say he’s got an issue.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I don’t know if it’s Physical, but the regression is extremely worrisome.

•  jahmyrr says:

Id agree with that. He def looks like hes lost a bit on his down field throwing. It started right after talks of his shoulder from a year or two ago.

I also think at this point its more mental. I think he spent most of his career behind a stellar OL. Now that hes taken a few hits, hes gone instant David Carr and now has little to no faith in whats in front of him. So hes still out there playing skittish.

This is why Nassib has imo looked much better. Hes still young and confident he can hang in the pocket, take the hit, and still make the pass. That and Nassib can actually move out of the pocket at a decent pace.

I love Eli, but I have to admit, he appears to have lost a step both physically and mentally.

I think it’s that he neither fully trusts the scheme, his receivers, nor his offensive line so he’s throwing early and probably holding the ball a touch too tightly (without realizing the last). I’m only a very-long-ago high school quarterback but I can say from experience that a very good quarterback one season can turn into a shadow of that quarterback the next when surrounded by excellent reasons for failure. It is a continuing myth among the fans of the NFL that simply because the quarterback is the most important member of the team that a quarterback can excel regardless of the circumstances around him.

I don’t think Eli is physically hurt. I think he is shell-shocked at this point, and with good reason. Too many moving parts, too many players failing to do their jobs, a “rookie” Offensive Coordinator still feeling his way into the job, and quite possibly too little talent among the receivers. I’ve been saying for months that it could easily take until November, or even next season, for things to start clicking. I’m starting to fear that I was right, and that 2015 is looking more likely than not.

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

JPP looked a bit better to me last night in his reps. However, Still can’t get to the QB.

He’s got his bullrush, and that’s about it.

Agreed, but a “bit” better ain’t good enough. He has to dominate or it will be a long, long, season. As good as the secondary will be, with these new rules if you give the quarterback time no one can cover even mediocre receivers.