August 29th, 2014 at 4:30 PM
By Doug Rush

It really amazes how much grief and negative criticism a two-time Super Bowl MVP and winning quarterback can get, yet over the last year or so that's exactly what has happened to Eli Manning.

The onslaught on Manning has been more fierce over the summer during training camp and in the preseason while Manning learns a new offense under new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo, but that hasn't stopped members of the media who were once NFL players themselves from getting a few shots in on the 33-year-old.

On Friday, it was former Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens tight end and current CBS Sports studio analyst Shannon Sharpe who decided to take a public jab at Manning.

While Sharpe was a tremendous football player, he's been well-known for being outspoken throughout his professional life; whether it be as an athlete or as a media member. Sharpe wasn't the only studio analyst from CBS to go after Manning; former New York Jets quarterback Boomer Esiason also took a jab at the Giants quarterback by saying he looks lost in the new offense.

Now while Esiason may get looked at as a former bitter player who never won the Super Bowl during his career; that's not the case with Sharpe, who won three while as an active player, so the envy isn't there.

But what Sharpe might have forgotten is that over the last couple of years, Manning has gotten poor production from his offensive line, his running game and inconsistencies from his wide receivers; plus injuries to top it all off.

It's also a bit harsh to criticize Manning after his preseason display, especially since some of his wide receivers weren't on the same page as him, plus his offensive line has continued to struggle; more signs that Manning could be in for another long year. But none of those entered Sharpe's analysis of Manning and quite frankly, it's a poor job from someone who is paid to be fair, objective and to look at all the facts.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Baltimore, Baltimore Ravens, Ben McAdoo, Boomer Esiason, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Shannon Sharpe

Short URL:

35 Responses to “Shannon Sharpe on New York Giants’ Eli Manning: ‘He’s not Elite and Never Has Been’”

1.  NC Giant says:

REPOST:

NC Giant says:
    August 29, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    agree about the TE talk but just to add another log to the smoldering fire…I agree that you start the guy with the highest ceiling (albeit perhaps a ceiling in a midget’s home…hat tip Krow) which in my estimation is Robinson.

Other topics:

1. Redo this past April’s Draft Rounds 1-3 who would you have taken?

2. Best FA signing this offseason so far

3. More 2014 catches: Randle, Washington, or ODB?

My answers:
    1. Zack Martin (T, G, C), Richburg (C), either Gabe Jackson (G) or Moncreif (WR)
    2. Jennings
    3. Randle (but it may be very close)

NC Giant says:
    August 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    Who could shake loose off another roster that we could find of value/interest? Anyone have some insight?

Also…where is Smardjza (I know I did not spell that right)

•  Since 1963 says:

I’d agree with you about Martin for Round 1, but I’d have been tempted to fix the TE mess in Round 2 by taking Troy Niklas, then a WR at #3. But I wouldn’t have objected to Martin followed by Richburg (whom I was hoping they’d take at two, especially since they passed on Martin at one). But #3 would have had to be a pass-catcher, in that case.

•  Kettles78 says:

I think he is on the Oakland A’s now

•  Dirt says:

He’s refering to the G101 poster from across the pond

•  Dirt says:

And to answer the question, he’s getting amped to see Chelsea clean up all the trophies this year and probably not spending much time thinking about this team.

2.  randy boehm says:

Shannon Sharpe is not even a minimally competent sports announcer and never has been…..

Until Eli and the offense play well for a sustained time these type of comments will persist. Eli is not liked by many for I guess his last name. He won’t be give then benefit of the doubt by most.

4.  Kettles78 says:

Hopefully Eli could care less about these type of comments.

5.  Kettles78 says:

I think the better quote from Sharpe was “Either he gets to the playoffs and wins you the superbowl or they totally miss the superbowl”

•  Kettles78 says:

Also elite QBs do not lead the league in Interceptions: Well Brett Favre was kind of Elite no?
      Brett Favre*, 2005 (29)
      Brett Favre*, 2008 (22)

Shannon Sharpe is the dullest knife in the drawer. Always has been, always will be. He’s an entirely amateurish commentator whom no one in his right mind takes seriously. Was a great player. Looks good in a suit. But an abject moron. Eli can sleep well knowing this idiot doesn’t think much of his game.

Just in case GOAT is feeling lonely in his fight to say something rational, let me repeat what I’ve said previously. I’d start Adrien Robinson at tight end. Why not? He could develop, and we don’t have anyone really better at the moment. Right this minute Daniel Fells MIGHT be better, but probably not by much. Not by enough to make a difference in game outcomes. And perhaps by playing continuously in the offense Robinson will stop making silly mistakes and start to use his athletic skills more consistently.

No one has to educate me in the deficiencies of our tight ends, including those of Mr. Robinson. But this is what we have. Someone needs to start. Robinson is my nominee and I think for good reason. He does have real upside, and his ceiling is higher than any of the others. He may never grow into the job, but since we have no great choices anyway we might as well see if he can.

Thanks!

•  HopLax says:

Amen….given our TE situation you start the player with the most upside. Not sure why some of our “knowledgeable” posters on here can’t grasp this but instead continue to wet their panties daily/hourly over our TE dilemma. I must admit although, reading their obsessively incessant posts on TEs provides much amusement

The ONLY way I could see short-term IR for Schwartz is if they are absolutely committed to his playing on the left side (which seems bizarre to me), because I’m actually not worried much about Richburg, who will make some rookie mistakes but already impresses me as the second best offensive lineman on the Giants (and on his way to being the best of them). Even then, I’d be nervous because of the possibility of injuries, but if Richburg doesn’t get hurt and Schwartz is going to be restricted to LG, then I think we can live without him for a few months. Otherwise, the decision to go that IR route is completely insane.

•  Krow says:

Then again it’s not like they haven’t had their share of head scratchers.

Agreed. There are times I have to suspend disbelief with this crowd. But, in general, they’ve been right about how to handle stuff like this.

Right now they are saying 3-4 weeks. Even if you say 6 weeks that means he misses 5 games. Those 3 games he would play are worth keeping him on the active roster. It reminds me of the Osi surgery a few years ago. You don’t waste the short term IR on a key player that could be ready much earlier.

Coughlin says that the preseason plan was to focus on the running game. He says things will look better once there’s an all encompassing game plan.

Hynoski just has a shoulder contusion.

Beason expected to come off PUP on monday and begin practicing.

I’ve been wondering about Reuben Randle. The cleanest way might be to just get him to board the E train. He’d probably be so confused that we’d never see him again.