New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin has long been considered one of the top tier coaches in the NFL, and one would have expected that trend to continue earlier this week when NFL Insiders polled 30 league insiders in an effort to create a new rankings system. But for the Big Blue head coach, he failed to cracked the top tier, instead being ranked in the second tier at No. 5 overall.
And it comes with an additional catch. Not only does Coughlin fall below New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll and New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Peyton, but he also falls below Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, who was ranked No. 4 overall.
5. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants (1.73 average) Having two Super Bowl titles in the bank bought some insurance for Coughlin coming off a 7-9 season featuring an 0-6 start. There was some thinking that Coughlin, the NFL's oldest coach (he'll turn 68 on Sunday), had slipped from a 1 to a 2 in recent years, but that is difficult to know from afar. Coughlin drew high marks for taking Jacksonville to the AFC title game, then adjusting his old-school approach to help the Giants win two Super Bowls, one of them against an 18-0 New England team.
"He is every bit as solid as Belichick," said a former GM who placed Coughlin in the top tier. "He has done it over time and been very consistent. You can say he is old-school, but I think he appeals to young guys. He is very sound. Nothing falls through the cracks. These guys at the top, if I were with them, I would spend not a single minute worried about whether we were coached right or had everything covered."
It's possible to justify Belichick, Carroll and even Peyton ahead of Coughlin (although we, admittedly, wouldn't agree with that), but it's seems like an illogical argument to suggest Reid is an superior coach to Coughlin. If nothing else, at least the other three have Super Bowl rings. Ried, meanwhile, has a whole lot of nothing.
What say you, Giants fans? Where would you rank Tom Coughlin?
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pete Carroll, Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Ranked No. 3 Head Coach in NFL by Sporting News
- Chiefs’ Andy Reid on Geoff Schwartz: New York Giants Got a Great Player Who Will Help Them
- NFL Network Lists New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin No. 5 Overall in “Head Coach Power Rankings”
- Bills Fans Heckle, Ruthlessly Boo Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin Following Hall of Fame Game
- Struggling Ryan Nassib Gets Some Support from New York Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin