August 29th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Earlier this week, the New York Giants felt they had received some good news in regards to offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz, who avoided the need for surgery on his dislocated toe. Rather, Schwartz was placed in a walking boot for 7-10 days and then was to proceed with a week-to-week rehab. Early expectations were that he'd be able to return sometime in the first three weeks of the regular season.

Unfortunately, with injuries piling up across the board — to such an extent that the team had to release Charles James II so that they could carry extra linemen — the Giants are running out of roster spots before the second cutdown day even arrives. As such, General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. are now faced with an exceptionally difficult decision about how many injured players they can afford to carry headed into Week 1 against the Detroit Lions.

With Odell Beckham Jr. (hamstring) likely sidelined until at least Week 2, Henry Hynoski having suffered a shoulder injury on Thursday night, and other issues with Brandon Mosley (back) and James Brewer (back), Big Blue appears backed into a corner. And with precious few options remaining, Kim Jones reports the Giants will "likely" — albeit reluctantly — place Schwartz on temporary Injured Reserve (IR), sidelining him until at least Week 9.

Initially, Schwartz called the injury only a "minor setback."

“This is just a minor setback,” said Schwartz. “I plan on attacking the rehab program so I can get back on the field as soon as possible with my teammates and help us win games.”

Although the injury itself and the timeline for a return to health haven't changed, other outside circumstances have. Accordingly, this situation has gone from "minor" to major overnight. And now the Giants will likely have to rely on at least one backup through the first eight weeks of the season.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Brandon Mosley, Charles James, Football, Geoff Schwartz, Henry Hynoski, James Brewer, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr.

Short URL:

21 Responses to “New York Giants “Likely” to Place Geoff Schwartz on Temporary Injured Reserve: Report”

This doesn’t make sense to me. If one of our best OL is ready to play after lets say 4 weeks that’s worth keep him on the active roster. Putting him our for 8 weeks is seems extreme. We only dress 46 guys. And now we can keep an extra PS player too.

If it’s Brewer against Brown before preseason I would have said Brown easy but now I think it’s Brewer. Brewer is more versatile and Brown played so badly at LT that Brewer isn’t any worse. Both played to a level that now Pugh is our backup LT. With that being the case I like brewer at RT more than Brown because at least brewer seems like a natural RT to me.

I do wonder if this Hynoski injury is serious and how that changes our roster. In what was suppose to be an extremely close battle, Hynoski was clearly better for this offense.

I hope that we make Robinson, Moore and Kinnard starters. McBride should be our 5th CB. Bowman has very clearly shown he’s better this preseason.

The Harris loss hurts because if Cruz is inside and ODB isn’t ready then it’s probably Jernigan on the outside. I like Washington but on an everydown basis I’m not sure he can beat first team CBs. He can clearly help in the redzone.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Robinson? Which Robinson? I REALLY hope you’re not suggesting Adrian Robinson start. lol.

Defensively, i’d like to see up front: JPP, Hankins, Jenkins/Patterson/Bromley (rotate them FREQUENTLY and often), And Moore

LB- Kennard, Beason, McClain

CB- Prince, DRC and Thurmond/ Bowman Nickle and dimers.

Safety- Rolle and Hill
      —-

Offensive

Eli
      RB -Williams
      FB- Connor
      WR Washington, Cruz, Randle ( until ODJ gets healthy)
      TE- Davis

•  BigBlueGiant says:

LT Beatty,
        LG Mosley
        C Richburg
        RG Jerry
        RT Pugh

This is all taking Schwartz injury into consideration.

•  skinnydoogan says:

BBG, thank you for being the “fart in Church” and LOL’ing about Robinson, I am tired of being the bad guy. Our starting TE is not yet on this roster.

Name a single time we ever grab another player off their roster to start? Now we could add a TE from another team but they won’t start. That’s fantasy talk. For the good or bad at least to start the year one of this current group of TEs will be our starter. Sorry for ruining your day but that’s being real.

•  skinnydoogan says:

We can agree to disagree GOAT. Not going to waste anymore time on this issue, Robinson is making the team because of his draft status. Nuff said.

•  skinnydoogan says:

and I am entitled to my opinion, as you are yours.

You’re not even reading what I’m saying. If we were going with a TE from outside as a starter that player would be here. We are not going to grab someone off the street and then start him game one. That’s all I’m saying. I’m just trying to make you realize love them or hate them this is basically of group. We could definitely add someone but they will take time to get up to speed. At this point really no team is adding a player they expect to start unless it’s special teams.

Yes I am for the same reason F55 and a few other have. Non of the other TEs have done any better. That 3rd down catch and non first down by Davis was HORRIBLE! That guy is half his size but he couldn’t get half a yard. I would cut Davis but I think Fells is better. I could see starting Fells. He’s probably the safe move but Robinson is the only one who could provide a little something.

LB – Williams has been our best LB and best against the pass. He should not only start but never leave the field. McClain is a good player but Kinnard provides some blitz ability that we will need with this defense.

RB – Jennings has been really good. i like Williams and he deserves carries but not over Jennings.

WR – Maybe we just need to ride with Washington but I don’t think JJ is good out there. Maybe the best solution is to put Cruz on the outside and JJ in the slot if JJ is going to start.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

BRO WHAT DO YOU SEE IN ROBINSON THAT HE CAN PROVIDE ANYTHING OUT THERE?

He’s on the verge of not making this team, forget starting. He’s last on the DC at TE. He stinks. get over it.

You keep Cruz at the slot, Randle And Washington out wide until ODJ gets back then Randle sits. Washington >>> Randle.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I have now adopted Adrien Robinson as my avatar in an effort to embrace him as our starter.

•  Kettles78 says:

He looks skinny in that picture did you use the opposite app of fat booth to get it?

I was hoping Robinson lived up to JR’s hype as much as the next person but when the best thing you did that I saw was block in pass protection in preseason I am not excited about that. He made some ok catches but also had a big fumble last night. So yes I am rooting for him to turn it around but I don’ t count on it and I am thinking the Giants may not be counting on it either.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

It’s all a numbers game. Same thing as last year when the team ran out of cap space and had about 8 injured players carried on their roster. They have to place someone on the short-term IR cause they can’t carry all of them, so it really boils down to Geoff Schwartz, Odell Beckham Jr. and maybe a couple others. Too many injuries, not enough space.

What injuries besides Schwartz, Beason, ODB and Hynoski are concerning for playing week 1?

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Hynoski, Brewer, Mosley, Holliday (if he makes the team), Manningham (if he makes the team), Charles Brown and Markus Kuhn.

•  James Stoll says:

Why o. Earth would Mm or Holliday make the team?

Great question. I think Brewer and Brown are both in real question and I don’t think both will make it. Kuhn is also not a given. But with our depth at DT it make more sense to short term IR Kuhn than Schwartz.

How serious are these injuries?

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

PRESEASON CHAMPS!

3.  Kettles78 says:

I would like to see a way they somehow keep Quarles on the 53. If he can learn to not make boneheaded decisions and take bad penalties I like what I saw while he was playing.

As far as Holliday the only chance they have is not wanting to subject Demps to returning kicks and not trusting others. I just don’t think he would get a roster spot based of only being able to return kicks at this point.

I am very curious to see these cuts happen to get an idea of their thinking about their current roster. Also curious to see if they bring in any others from outside which would lead to more cuts.

BBG – Robinson caught 2 seem passes which is as much as the other TEs combined. It isn’t much and Robinson hasn’t done enough to gain anyone’s confidence. But neither have any of the TEs. That 3rd down play Davis didn’t make yesterday makes him almost useless if he can’t make. None of the TEs have stood out. So like Nosh and F55 have also said since we don’t know anything let’s play the guy with the highest ceiling. I don’t see the issue. Davis certainly shouldn’t start or even be on the team IMO. If you want the safe start it’s clearly Fells.