It's a good thing the New York Giants did not release fullback John Conner as a part of first cuts earlier this week, because it now appears as if they're going to need him for a while as his counterpart, Henry Hynoski, was forced to leave Thursday's game against the New England Patriots with a rotator cuff injury.
"The doctors haven’t told me what it was. I heard him say that he thought it was some kind of cuff injury or something of that nature, but the official pronouncement from the medical team, I didn’t hear," head coach Tom Coughlin said after the game.
Although Coughlin was trying to be careful with his words, he also implied it was the same shoulder Hynoski fractured a year ago — an injury that ended his season, required surgery and was the very reason Big Blue had to sign John Conner in the first place.
Hynoski is believed to have suffered the injury at some point in the first half against the Patriots, but was later seen on the sidelines sans a sling. And while that does represent at least some sort of positivity, the reality is that Hynoski could, once again, be facing a very long road back.
Coming into Thursday night's game, it appeared as if Hynoski had won the fullback job outright and was seeing more time than Conner, but this injury will undoubtedly shake things up considerably. Now the Giants need to determine the extent of Hynoski's injury and how, exactly, they want to handle it. Needless to say, they have no room to carry two fullbacks and an additional injured player on their 53-man roster.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Football, Henry Hynoski, John Conner, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants, Ben McAdoo Will Face Tough Fullback Decision: John Conner or Henry Hynoski?
- New York Giants Blocking Battle: John Conner Vs. Henry Hynoski
- Henry Hynoski Glad to Be Back with New York Giants; Ready to Get to Work in 2014