New York Giants linebacker Jon Beason is still on pace to return for Big Blue's Week 1 matchup against the Detroit Lions, but his training regiment recently took a bit of a hit as he came down with food poisoning last week. Despite that, Beason says it was not a rehab setback and shouldn't alter his timeline for a return, although he did fall behind on his workout schedule.
“I was sick last week,” Beason told the Daily News on Wednesday. “I got a little food poisoning. I was under the weather. I couldn’t train. I was feverish. … [But] I feel good. I feel confident that I will be able to go out and contribute on September 8th.”
Although he feels better now, Beason went on to admit it will take him a while to transition back into "elite" physical shape as a result of the setback, and will undoubtedly have to knock some rust off early in the regular season.
Still, Beason is due to be removed from the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list sometime in the next few days and appears to be entirely healthy.
"I'm looking to come off PUP in the next couple days," he said. "I'm doing everything to make sure my conditioning is up to par."
Upon his return, Beason will sport an over-sized (but fitted) cleat that aims to protect his foot/toes from any additional damage.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Detroit, Detroit Lions, Football, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants’ Jon Beason Recovering Well, Still Targeting Week 1 Return
- New York Giants’ Jon Beason “Hoping” to Play in Preseason; Confident He’ll Be Ready for Opener
- New York Giants LB Jon Beason Will not Need Surgery; Foot Will Be Immobilized for Six Weeks
- New York Giants LB Jon Beason Out 12 Weeks with Ligament Tear, Sesamoid Fracture of Right Foot