August 28th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

New York Giants linebacker Jon Beason is still on pace to return for Big Blue's Week 1 matchup against the Detroit Lions, but his training regiment recently took a bit of a hit as he came down with food poisoning last week. Despite that, Beason says it was not a rehab setback and shouldn't alter his timeline for a return, although he did fall behind on his workout schedule.

“I was sick last week,” Beason told the Daily News on Wednesday. “I got a little food poisoning. I was under the weather. I couldn’t train. I was feverish. … [But] I feel good. I feel confident that I will be able to go out and contribute on September 8th.”

Although he feels better now, Beason went on to admit it will take him a while to transition back into "elite" physical shape as a result of the setback, and will undoubtedly have to knock some rust off early in the regular season.

Still, Beason is due to be removed from the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list sometime in the next few days and appears to be entirely healthy.

"I'm looking to come off PUP in the next couple days," he said. "I'm doing everything to make sure my conditioning is up to par."

Upon his return, Beason will sport an over-sized (but fitted) cleat that aims to protect his foot/toes from any additional damage.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Detroit, Detroit Lions, Football, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL

Short URL:

19 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jon Beason Slowed by Food Poisoning; Still Targeting Week 1 Return”

1.  Since 1963 says:

Maybe we need an Eating Coordinator. Offer AP the job.

What I don’t get in people pointing out missed blocks by the OL and TEs is how the running game has been consistently good during the preseason. Our RBs are making moves 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I think the run blocking has been good. I’m not saying every play was blocked perfectly but there are always missed blocks even with plays that work. Without micro analyzing every play. The yardage we ran for against the Jets with a mostly ineffective passing game and considering how good their front is, was very impressive. guys are doing a better job overall than being credited for. Not to say we don’t need to get better but the run game blacking has been good. So whatever combo of TEs is doing a good enough job of running blocking in aggregate. As is the OL even with the ever changing combos.

With a DL like Detroit’s the best idea is the run it straight at them with quick hitting plays much liek our running game design throughout the the preseason. The first team WRs did a better job of getting open. Yes the Jets are down some players at CB but their talent at CB is very comparable to Detroit’s. We need to get pressure on Stafford via the pass rush or blitz. Even with a top secondary you can’t give Megatron too many chances deep.

I think against Detroit Beason’s presence isn’t as key. I rather have him 100%. This is not last year and McClain and Kinnard are big upgrades over what we had without Beason last year. Plus I expect a lot of 2 TE sets including Ebron which is a lineup I think we play nickel against. You treat a TE like Ebron as a big WR until he proves he can block. This is a game we miss Taylor. Actually these first 2 games since both play a lot of multiple TE sets.

As to roster, I thought Fells was injured and unable to play, but I see I was wrong. I hope he has a good game tonight because I think he has a smidgen of talent. The guy I just don’t get is Donnell. I see him missing so many blocks that I wonder if he just doesn’t have the “want to” that you need to play at this level. They’re keeping Robinson and at least one of the veterans. Tonight may well determine who, if anyone, is the third tight end they keep. I’m sure they’ll be looking at the waiver wire over the next two days.

I would definitely keep Hillis. We need another tough runner and we’d better have a quality running game this season because otherwise we’re going to finish in the bottom third of the league thanks to the adjustment period with this offense. It’s run the ball, stop the run, or wait ’til next year for the Giants.

I don’t really love either Cox or Gaskins and wouldn’t keep either. As I’ve said, I think both would be sitting by the phone if we need someone later in the season. I’d start the season with just three running backs on the roster.

I’m not a fan of Hillis as a RB nor am I a fan of keeping only 3 RBs. But I can see the logic because we can keep Cox and/or Gaskins on PS. I even like adding a scatback option to make it 4 RBs and we still can have a RB on PS. Hillis has skill but zero speed or quickness left. I definitely would prefer having Brown as our 3rd RB. A scatback as our 4th guy and sign Cox on PS. I highly doubt we bring in so many new faces but that’s my personal preference.

I really don’t think we have to waste a practice team spot on either of those guys. I just cannot see anyone else wanting them. They’d be available if we ever needed to make a phone call later in the season.

Remember the PS was expanded to 10 and the 2 extra sports are for guys that are 2 years or less no matter how many regular season games they played in. Our other PS players besides Talley don’t fit that criteria. Which is why I think Cox and James will man the 2 extra PS spots. Plus you want them to be familiar with what we are doing. I think you will see this offense adjust more week to week than under Gilbride so being in practice has some value.

As for the first game that counts, the Lions have some strengths but anyone who doesn’t think we’re capable of beating them is just so blinded by disappointment in the Giants that he cannot see straight.

Will they be able to run against us? I doubt it. We’ve never had much problem with Reggie Bush, and their power runners shouldn’t be able to do much against the middle of our defense.

Yes, Megatron is going to get his catches, but particularly if Prince is back for that first game, I think it might make sense to have DRC take away Tate and double Johnson with Prince (more physical than DRC) and a safety. I think Williams can do a decent job against Ebron. And we know if we can apply pressure that Stafford will throw balls up for grabs in an effort to make plays (much like Eli). I’ll be shocked if Fewell doesn’t bring some blitzes that first week that we’ve not shown in preseason.

And behind the defensive front Detroit’s defense isn’t very impressive.

Hey, we could get blown out if we let them get up on us early and if our offense isn’t functioning decently. But if we can play a decent first half and start to feel any rhythm on offense at all, this is a very winnable game. I cannot wait to see what we’ve got, but literally no outcome will shock me. This could be Cincy Redux when they hit two big plays on perfect passes against us early and then blew us out when the team looked like it got so discouraged it quit. But it could also be like that game in San Francisco where we literally beat them up at Candlestick and dominated a good team (one much better than what Detroit will put on the field). Until that first whistle the truth is none of us really has any idea what this team will be. It will be a work-in-progress for weeks to come, perhaps months to come.

I agree. I feel like us and Detroit are similar. Talented teams with a lot of newness that’s hard to read. That game is hard to call. They have more game changers but I think we have the deeper roster of talent. So the game could really have any outcome.

Does anyone know anything about this kid Rogers Gaines? I just heard that he is being seriously considered for the roster (this from a freelance scout who is the son of a friend and has been watching a lot of Giants’ practices for three other teams that are looking to see who they waive). I have never even heard of him.

•  rlhjr says:

I’ve heard the name before. Not sure his position. Can’t recal if I knew about him in college or pro ball. Like Tenn. offensive lineman?

•  Krow says:

Overview

Even though offensive line prospects playing outside the Football Bowl Subdivision are often raw in their overall technique, NFL teams will take a chance on their size and/or athleticism in the later rounds of the draft. It doesn’t take long to see the 6-foot-7, 320-pound Gaines is a perfect candidate to receive this sort of evaluation.

In spite of his obvious physical attributes, it took Gaines some time to become a starter because of the team’s talent at the position. He redshirted his first year on campus, and then only played three games as a freshman and eight contests in 2010 as a reserve. But in his first year as a starter in 2011, Ohio Valley Conference coaches voted him second-team all-conference for his efforts. Gaines was a Phil Steele second-team preseason All-American heading into 2012.

Analysis

Strengths Possesses the tall, athletic build NFL teams like at the left tackle spot, can get out of a two-point stance in a hurry. But he’s no finesse player, as he can land a strong initial punch and is willing sustain blocks around the pocket, finish run blocks through the whistle, and shove opponents standing around as the play goes downfield. FCS defensive ends aren’t going to beat him very often once he gets his powerful hands on their jerseys; if they put up a fight, he uses his great length, flexibility, wide stance and good lateral movement to mirror. Uses his foot quickness for positional run blocking, connecting on reach blocks, as well as getting downfield to shield linebackers.

Weaknesses Still growing into his frame and maturing as a player. Quick defenders will cause him to overextend, and he’ll need to keep his feet active because his length won’t necessarily be enough to stop them. Play with a high pad level at times and gives up ground in pass protection, and also needs to prove he has the bend to get out of a three-point stance low and hard in the run game.

NFL Comparison J’Marcus Webb

Bottom Line This tall, athletic left tackle dominates many of the players he faces at the FCS level with his pure size and athleticism. Gaines also shows a bit of a nasty streak at times. While he is a project, a team will likely give him a shot late in the draft based on his upside.

Thanks. Sounds like a real physical specimen but another “project”. Maybe a better bet as a backup at LT than Brown, whom I think is pretty lousy.

If this kid sticks does Brewer finally disappear? I don’t know, but he’s running out of lives.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Nope another one of Jerry Reach’s picks, he will go nowhere and continue to stink along with Adrien Robinson.

And you’re not negative? Smh! Gaines wasn’t our pick I believe he was the Bears draft pick. He was added to just fill out the 90 man roster but has played well enough with Brown and Brewer struggling and/or injured that he has a chance to make the roster. No one is looking for anything but possibly a backup tackle from him. Having a 90 man roster of course you just add people that will fail sometimes. But the idea is like with Washington to find some hidden gems. Hopefully he does enough to help us as a back OT if needed.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal on Hakeem Nicks. Wondering the same exact thing we all are, what happened to that guy?

8.  NC Giant says:

G101 FANTASY FOOTBALL…when is the draft and is there another available spot? mattbracciante AT gmail DOT com

Thanks!