August 27th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

The 2014 MetLife Bowl is now nothing more than a mere memory, and although the Snoopy Trophy currently resides at the New York Giants facilities in East Rutherford, New Jersey, the scorned New York Jets aren't done talking just yet.

After a full week of relentless chatter leading up to the MetLife Bowl, Gang Green was promptly hushed to the tune of 35-24. However, with a week to regroup, defensive end Sheldon Richardson came back out firing on Tuesday, taking aim at anyone and everyone from Big Blue and even going so far as to say they'd have won if the first-team's remained in the game.

“If you’re saying if this was a real game and the 1s were out there, I think it would have been a pretty different game,” Richardson told the New York Post. “It wouldn’t even be close.”

The irony of Richardson's statements appears to have been lost on him, as Rex Ryan played his first-team (with Michael Vick at quarterback) well into the third quarter. Meanwhile, the Giants subbed out their first-team to start the second half, but managed to almost immediately take the lead over the Jets' first-team anyway.

Still, it wasn't so much the loss that stuck in Richardson's craw, but rather, the success of running back Andre Williams in the game. After all, it was Williams who Rex Ryan specifically targeted leading up to kickoff and even implied might get injured — something that was abundantly obvious during the game as Richardson and several other Jets were repeatedly in his face talking trash.

When the smoke finally cleared however, it was Williams who stood tall, having scored the go-ahead touchdown that would ultimately turn out to be the game-winner.

“He was scared,” Richardson said. “I’ve seen him play at Boston College. Didn’t run the same. He was scared, man. … tiptoeing a lot."

Williams finished the game with 49 yards on 11 attempts and the aforementioned go-ahead touchdown. And rather than rubbing it in their faces, he walked up to Rex Ryan after the game and shook his hand respectfully. Had the Jets wanted to say something face-to-face, that would have been the time. But in typical Jets fashion, they waited until all had cleared out and there were no Giants in sight to start chirping again.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Andre Williams, Football, Michael Vick, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Rex Ryan, Sheldon Richardson

Short URL:

54 Responses to “New York Jets Still Talking About New York Giants; Sheldon Richardson Calls Andre Williams “Scared””

I cannot decide if this is simply sad, or a combination of sad and comical.

What a pathetic franchise. It seems to wash krap over everyone in the building.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Please do not denigrate the real Mr. Crapper inventor of the overhead flush.

2.  Hanshi says:

The Jets haven’t done anything since 1969.

Curtis Martin may be the only member of the Jets who showed some class in the past 20 years. He must have made a mistake and found himself in the wrong locker room one day and just didn’t leave. But he was clearly an anomaly.

4.  T-Thom97 says:

wait wait wait…. you mean mark sanchez and rex ryan weren’t and aren’t classy????

Amazing how much this stupid exhibition game means to them.

6.  T-Thom97 says:

I still think this D can be very good this year. I just rather have Moore starting over the overrated kiwi…. I still don’t know why moore got kicked out of practice. we need attitude on D. that’s one thing I do like about rex ryan. he gets his D in a frenzy… they are out for blood. moore wouldn’t of got kicked out of practice at all. prob would of gotten a raise.

7.  BillyS says:

The Jets do nothing but chirp. They act like the “Snoopy Bowl” is the Super Bowl. I could care less about a preseason game, even if it is against the Jets. The real season is what’s important, but it seems like the Jets only play for the preseason since they haven’t shown up in the regular season in a few years. Sad that they won’t even have the Snoopy Bowl to fall back on this year when they only win 6 games.

•  James Stoll says:

agreed
      and since we are almost there, time to set aspirational goals for the team
      thus far through 4 preseason games our offense has looked far more bad than good
      our TEs have lived down to expectations
      our o-line has yet to look much better that the 2013 abomination and it has now lost at least temporaily what was suppose to be a major upgrade (although he had looked anything but prior to injury)
      our hoped for improvement in the WR’g corps has been slowed and perhaps derailed by the inability of our No. 1 pick to get healthy and even practice, let alone play
      Our QB looks ill at ease with the new offensive philosophy
      all that said, the RB’s look significantly upgraded and there appear to be some rough-hewned diamonds at WR if only TC will give them a shot
      and the offense did show some life against the Jets which is at least encouraging bwecause it is the most recent evidence we have to work with

on balance the offense looks to be a bottom third of the league unit whose focus should be on field position and care with the ball so as to protect the defense from too many short fields and too much field time

the defense looks pretty solid
      the secondary looks as good as anyone can remeber
      if Beason comes back quickly and at full strength the LBs might actually be a top 1/3 in the league unit
      the DTs look solid
      only the DE’s look suspect

the mantra for the season really ought to be: “Will the 2011 Eli Manning and JPP please show up”
      we get that and we are likely a very competitve team
      if we don’t — Yikes!!

short term, we have to hope the Giants open up strongly enough to take 2 out of the first 3. As I’ve been saying all week, start 0-3 and the season is over.
      the first three games are perhaps the easiest 3-game block we have all season. we need to start5 strong.

hopefully we can turn at no worse than 4-4 and hist the 12 game mark at 6-6 such that we are legitimately contending for the second WC berth heading into the last quarter of the season

I agree to a point. I think me must win one of the first three games while getting the offense to at least a minimal standard of play (which to date it has not reached). And I think we can contend for the division title if a few breaks go our way. It’s a long season.

If we start off 0-3 we’re in deep doo-doo because those are all winnable games.

Any of you who are the oldest brother and have the unfortunate circumstance of having a younger brother who just cannot stop trying to compete with you while you don’t even notice or care about the competition, knows exactly what is going on with the Jets and their obsession with the Giants.

I have a younger brother whom I love. But even at the age of 61 he still competes with me. It’s pretty sad. It’s his children are better than mine, his second wife is better than my one-and-only spouse, his grandchild is better than mine, the little engineering company he built is better than the large real estate company I built, his squash game is better than mine (that one is actually true), his home city of London is better than mine in New York, etc. I pay little attention to all this, and he obsesses over it. So, unfortunately, I fully understand the Giants-Jets dynamic. I also understand that the Jets will never get past it. I don’t hate them for it, but I do think it’s truly ridiculous and pathetic.

•  Krow says:

Who did Mom love best?

Yeah, according to him she adored me and hated him. The human psyche is just strange.

•  James Stoll says:

I hope he doesn’t read this site
        is he a giants or jets fan?

Nah, he doesn’t read it. He’s been Europeanized and hardly follows the NFL. I invited him to a Giants game a number of times over the last few years and he always says he can’t get into it. To be fair, my father took me to at least 3-4 games every year at the old Yankee Stadium but my brother went only rarely. He’s not nearly as crazed about sports as am I. Stunted childhood.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Folk’s you can’t fix stupid, and that is what the Jet’s are, the fact that we are wasting precious oxygen on oxygen thieves discussing it, is a crime. I vote we move on to more interesting and relevant things.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Not all younger brothers are like yours. I have never been in competition and have always been proud of their accomplishments. I was taught by my mother that each of us are special in our own way. My father tried to establish competition between us but I was never interested.

The problem with the Jet culture is that they have always believed the causative factors of their ineptitude are external, thereby warping their egocentric filter and stunting their internal growth as a cultural and competitive organism.

You’re lucky, and wise. I really wish my brother was the same. It breaks my heart that he isn’t. And the funny thing is that he seems sometimes mad when he realizes I root for him and am proud of his accomplishments, which are many.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Whenever I feel jealous (a human emotion) or there has been a confrontation between us (brothers – family}, I ask our creator to change me so that all might be “right between us”. I cannot change anyone but myself.

I think Stollie is 100% right in that we can’t go in the hole early. If we have a terrible start then we’ll never recover.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Do you really think we can win more than 2 of the first 6?

•  Krow says:

If not then it’s game over.

•  James Stoll says:

our first 7 are Lions, Cardinals, Texans, Redskins, Falcons, Eagles, Cowboys

based on perceived strengths and weakenesses in these 7 teams, only Arizona and Philly do I put in the almost certain loss column
        every other game I think is 50/50 right now
        let’s hope

3Sep 211:00PMEDT*Texans

4Sep 258:25PMEDT*,ATRedskins

5Oct 51:00PMEDT)Falcons

6Oct 128:30PMEDT’ATEagles

7Oct 194:25PMEDT)ATCowbo

I do think one thing that’s been mentioned but not talked about enough is Moore. There’s no reason for him not to given heavy snaps. We need to get our best players on the field. I feel the same about Kinnard. While he hasn’t made flashy plays yet I have seen enough to justify is practice hype in games. I think he should be our starting SLB though I concede McClain is a good player. We need to get Washington in there in redzone opportunities. Hankins should be the starter without question. Bowman should be our 4th CB ahead of McBride and Thurman the back up should Prince not be able to return for game 1. I would start Robinson at TE because by all accounts no one has separated themselves and he provides the most receiving ability.