Antrel Rolle believes the New York Giants could have one of the best secondaries in the NFL here in 2014, but that didn't take away the sting of losing the man he refers to as his little brother — Charles James II, who was released on Tuesday as part of the team's effort to trim their roster to 75 men.
Shortly after the release was announced, Rolle took to Twitter to voice his displeasure in the decision and the way business is conducted in the NFL — something that's become a point of emphasis for players in recent years.
"In this league you witness many things. Some things you agree with and some you don't, but no matter what you have to keep fighting and keep driving to be the player you can be and the best teammate you can be," Rolle said via Instagram. "But this one hurts! Charles James has the heart of a lion and is exactly what any organization should have on their team."
It wasn't just James' positive attitude and dedication that had Rolle questioning the decision, but rather James' overall performance since the onset of the offseason. Apparently the duo had been tallying James' statistics from Organized Team Activities (OTAs) on and they were rather impressive — especially in Rolle's eyes.
"Eight interceptions in OTAs and Training Camp — I think speaks for itself. The best training camp amongst cornerbacks in my eyes, but [Tuesday] he was released," Rolle added.
Unfortunately for James and the Giants, various other injuries likely played a role in his released. With the team forced to carry Odell Beckham Jr. (hamstring), Geoff Schwartz (toe) and Jon Beason (PUP) among others, the team had no real choice but to release players who otherwise may not have been released.
At the end of the day (pun intended), James will find himself a job in the NFL and will eventually get a real opportunity. And if he clears waivers, it might even be at home with the New York Giants as a member of their practice squad.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Antrel Rolle, Charles James, Football, Geoff Schwartz, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr.
- Antrel Rolle Has High Hopes for New York Giants Secondary in 2014
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Challenges Dominique-Rodgers Cromartie to Become Best CB in NFL
- Giants’ Antrel Rolle Hoping Prince Amukamara’s Injury is Minor; Discusses Rule Enforcements
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle not Worried About Expiring Contract: I Just Want to Win