The New York Giants had announced earlier today that they planned to waive kicker Brandon McManus. But prior to the 4:00 PM EST deadline that would have made McManus subject to waivers, the Denver Broncos swooped in and acquired him via trade for a conditional 7th round pick.
McManus, who had a very strong preseason with the Giants and gave Josh Brown a very competitive kicking competition, ended up losing out to Brown for the job, but since Denver was in need of a kicker with Matt Prater's situation, they decided to make the deal with the Giants to get an up and coming kid whose shown he has a very strong leg.
Prater will have to serve a four-game suspension at the beginning of the 2014 season for violating their substance abuse policy, and thus, why Denver gave up the conditional draft pick to get McManus.
Prater will be back with the Broncos for Week 5, so it's not clear what Denver will do once he returns from his suspension, but for the time being, McManus will be a starting kicker for the AFC Champions come Week 1 of the regular season and will be in a stadium that bodes well for kickers since the air is thin from the climate and longer field goals tend to go through.
With Brown being re-signed for a second season with the Giants, it was a longshot that the undrafted rookie kicker would make the Giants, but he sure gave it his best shot and while he didn't make the Giants, he quickly got a chance to make another team because of his strong performance.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Brandon McManus, Denver, Denver Broncos, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- Josh Brown Has Won Giants Kicking Competition, Brandon McManus to Be Waived: Report
- New York Giants Kicking Competition Personal, but All Business for Josh Brown, Brandon McManus
- Denver Broncos Sign Former New York Giants DT Marvin Austin
- Robert Ayers Looks Forward to Fresh Start with New York Giants; Felt Misused by Denver Broncos