When the New York Giants take the field to play the New England Patriots in their preseason finale on Thursday night, they will be without their first round pick Odell Beckham Jr., who is dealing with hamstring issues.
During the week of the New York Jets preseason game, Beckham left practice with his hamstring being sore and they kept him out for the game against the Jets and they've also kept him out now against the Patriots, as the team doesn't want to take any chances in tempting fate and re-injuring the hamstring that already has kept him out for three weeks in the summer.
After Thursday night's game, the Giants will have about two weeks time before they will play against the Detroit Lions in their regular season opener on September 8, but it seems unlikely that Beckham will be ready to go given his lack of time on the field, which Jordan Raanan of NJ.com explained.
"Even if Beckham is back practicing early next week, is it realistic to envision him being a significant contributor a week later in the opener? Probably not. Beckham hasn't been a full participant in a Giants practice since early June. He's going to need time to get up to speed and into playing shape. So, best-case scenario at this point appears to be Week 2 against the Arizona Cardinals. More likely at this point appears to be even later in his rookie season."
When the media asked Coughlin about the idea of Beckham returning for their Week 1 Monday Night Football showdown with the Lions, Coughlin sounded a bit agitated with Beckham's absence from practice and would settle for him practicing first before guaranteeing him playing in a game.
"Have you seen him practice?” a seemingly perturbed Coughlin said. "How about practicing before you play?"
With two weeks left until the regular season, a lot can change between now and September 8th and Beckham has been doing light work while at practice, so maybe if the hamstring improves over the course of that time, maybe Beckham will be ready to go for Week 1 although reports are saying that it's not likely to happen; but at this point, it's simply a case of wait and see.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Arizona, Arizona Cardinals, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- Odell Beckham Jr. Cleared to Return to Giants Practice on Monday; Will Take Part in Individuals
- New York Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. to Miss at Least Another Week with Hamstring Injury
- New York Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Says His Return is “Around the Corner” but Can’t Reach Top Speed Yet
- Odell Beckham Jr. Won’t Play in New York Giants Preseason Finale Vs. New England Patriots
- Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Suffered “Tweaked” Hamstring; Team Unsure When He Can Return