Prior to the start of practice on Tuesday afternoon, the New York Giants officially announced all transactions necessary for get them to the roster limit of 75 men. Included were a few surprise cuts — like that of cornerback Charles James II — and the unfortunate news that wide receiver Marcus Harris (hip) would join safety Cooper Taylor (foot) on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR).
Landing on season-ending IR is a tough break for Harris, but given their overwhelming amount of injuries to other key players such as offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz (toe) and wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., the Giants determined they were just unable to carry another injury (and loss of a roster spot) into the regular season.
In addition to those two other Injured Reserve designations, the Giants waived/released 11 players and waived/injured two others (who are subject to waiver rules and then can be placed on IR if cleared).
Here is a full list of all of today's transactions:
- Kicker Brandon McManus
- Tight end Jerome Cunningham
- Cornerback Charles James II
- Linebacker Spencer Adkins
- Tight end Xavier Grimble
- Cornerback Ross Weaver
- Safety Kyle Sebetic
- Wide receiver Travis Harvey
- Guard John Sullen
- Cornerback C.J. Barnett
- Defensive tackle Everett Dawkins
- Defensive lineman Emmanuel Dieke
- Linebacker Justin Anderson
Shortly after being informed of his release, cornerback Charles James II shared the following statement via Instagram:
"Wanna thank the New York Giants for giving me the opportunity to start my career in the National Football League. Things happen in life for a reason [and] I can leave this place with a smile because I know I gave it everything I had everyday. Shocked? Hell yes! But I guess that's how the business goes. Gonna miss my guys DRC, Vic Cruz, Prince and a lot more we had some good times but the one person I'll miss the most is my big brother Antrel — you showed me a lot taught me a lot and I looked up to you thanks for everything. I'd be lying if I say this didn't motivate me haha looks like the Charles James underdog story continues! GOD is good man!"
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Brandon McManus, Charles James, Cooper Taylor, Emmanuel Dieke, Everett Dawkins, Football, Geoff Schwartz, Justin Anderson, Kyle Sebetic, Marcus Harris, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Travis Harvey, Xavier Grimble
- New York Giants’ Cooper Taylor Will Need Surgery on Foot; James Brewer Out Vs. Jets
- New York Giants’ Geoff Schwartz, Marcus Harris Suffer “Serious” Injuries in Victory Over Jets
- New York Giants’ Marcus Harris not Feeling Pressure, Enjoying the Spotlight
- Giants’ Cooper Taylor May Land on Season-Ending IR with Foot Injury; Could Need Surgery