New York Giants Finalize Roster Cuts; Place Marcus Harris, Cooper Taylor on IR

August 26th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Prior to the start of practice on Tuesday afternoon, the New York Giants officially announced all transactions necessary for get them to the roster limit of 75 men. Included were a few surprise cuts — like that of cornerback Charles James II — and the unfortunate news that wide receiver Marcus Harris (hip) would join safety Cooper Taylor (foot) on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR).

Landing on season-ending IR is a tough break for Harris, but given their overwhelming amount of injuries to other key players such as offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz (toe) and wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., the Giants determined they were just unable to carry another injury (and loss of a roster spot) into the regular season.

In addition to those two other Injured Reserve designations, the Giants waived/released 11 players and waived/injured two others (who are subject to waiver rules and then can be placed on IR if cleared).

Here is a full list of all of today's transactions:

Waived/Released/Cut:

Waived/Injured:

• Defensive lineman Emmanuel Dieke
  • Linebacker Justin Anderson

Injured Reserve:

Shortly after being informed of his release, cornerback Charles James II shared the following statement via Instagram:

"Wanna thank the New York Giants for giving me the opportunity to start my career in the National Football League. Things happen in life for a reason [and] I can leave this place with a smile because I know I gave it everything I had everyday. Shocked? Hell yes! But I guess that's how the business goes. Gonna miss my guys DRC, Vic Cruz, Prince and a lot more we had some good times but the one person I'll miss the most is my big brother Antrel — you showed me a lot taught me a lot and I looked up to you thanks for everything. I'd be lying if I say this didn't motivate me haha looks like the Charles James underdog story continues! GOD is good man!"

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Brandon McManus, Charles James, Cooper Taylor, Emmanuel Dieke, Everett Dawkins, Football, Geoff Schwartz, Justin Anderson, Kyle Sebetic, Marcus Harris, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Travis Harvey, Xavier Grimble

Short URL:

16 Responses to “New York Giants Finalize Roster Cuts; Place Marcus Harris, Cooper Taylor on IR”

1.  BillyS says:

I think the biggest loss would be Cooper Taylor. I’m surprised Manningham made it, but I guess Jernigan hasn’t really pulled away from the pack. It’s actually a shame that Harris got hurt because I think he could have beaten both of those 2, or at the very least pushed Jernigan down in the depth chart and Manningham gone altogether.

I still can’t believe how bad our TE’s look. It’s 1 thing to have a 1 dimensional TE (blocking), but it doesn’t even seem like any of these guys can do…anything…well. They inspire very little faith and I have a feeling that it’s going to become a very big problem for this offense within the first few games. But then again maybe ODB will finally be healthy and Corey Washington will be this year’s Victor Cruz.

2.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Our TE’s are run blocking OK it is everything else that Sucks lemon juice.

I can’t agree with that. I’ve seen way too many whiffs from them.

As for Mosley, I do like him, but largely because he’s a good run-blocker and has seemed to me to be making slow, but steady, progress on the protection side which I think can be taught. You cannot teach aggressiveness and toughness that are required in run-blocking and the kid has those attributes. I don’t know if he’s a long-term answer but I like his chances to stay on the roster for a long time, even if only as depth. Truth be told, he reminds me a bit of Seubert, who also had to learn how to pass protect but was a mean SOB who would do what it took to move you out of the way when a crease had to be opened for a runner.

I think the coaches are hoping with Manningham. Harris getting injured was a huge break for MM. I think Parker’s emergence and need for a vet WR are making this a battle to the death for the last WR spot. Talley can be placed on PS safely.

Taylor is a shame. I still hold out hope that it’s the short term IR. With Schwartz looking less serious than we were thinking short term IR isn’t need for him.

It looks like for the second year in a row a rookie will start on the OL. I don’t see Richburg being replaced either. It’s seems the dreaded BID that will get Schwartz in his more natural RG position.

I think Harris, and the Giants, are lucky he can be stowed away on IR. I really think this is a Cruz-like situation where the team doesn’t want to lose him but weren’t going to be able to keep him on the roster and don’t want to expose him on the practice squad. He’ll probably factor in next season.

These were the easy cuts from a football perspective. The hard ones come next.

•  BillyS says:

I think they were extremely easy cuts. None of them really seem like they had much of a chance. The only one that I think was actually tough was McManus/Brown. I understand Brown is the veteran and that really does hold a lot of weight, but McManus’ leg…it would have been nice to have a 45-50 yard FG attempt where you didn’t have to cringe whether or not it would have the distance.

5.  T-Thom97 says:

hopefully a good te gets cut from another team. we are so bad at te…. gone are the days of shockey, boss, the great jake ballard….

6.  James Stoll says:

Given that the Pats never play their starters in the last preseason game, and Eli will only ply 2 series or so, neither JJ nor MM are really going to have a chance to show much that the coaches don’t already know.
    It thus looks like both will make the final roster

assuming we keep 6 and Beckum is not IR’d, that means one of Parker or Washington is cut

looks like the wrong decision from here

•  BigBlueGiant says:

no chance Washington gets cut. if they cut him, I will not watch a single game this season. I think there’s a chance they both stay and JJ and MM get axed.

Our TEs aspire to mediocrity.

8.  James Stoll says:

we should carry 1 TE, 2 FB’s and 7 WR’s

9.  skinnydoogan says:

Which TE is even close to worth it? None that I can see.

10.  rlhjr says:

Well good on the powers that be for keeping Harris.
    It is good news that Schwartz is going to make it to the season.
    I’m thinking it will take him two months to properly heal. Could be more.

I will say this one last time. Once Richburg settles into left guard, the Giants will feel obliged to draft another center. I really feel he’s going to be that good.

I agree with FF55 analogy between Seubert and Mosley. Give this kid some time and he could work out. He has most of what is required. That is to say he wants to be good. He’ll work on what he needs to in order to make it.
    Many with a lot more talent, lack the determination and drive. Seubert was a player with plenty of “want to”. I see similar in Mosley.

Once Schwartz heals, they had better put him on the right side not only so as to not disturb Richburg but also to insure he puts less pressure on his left foot/toe area. Once again the Giants coaching staff is saved by circumstances rather than a sound coaching decision.

•  James Stoll says:

if you put Schwartz at RG, Richburg at LG, what do you do with Mosely? RT, with Pugh to LT and Beatty to the bench?
      Anything that put Beatty on the bench I could get behind, but Mosely is still learning Guard and appears to have a chronically bad back

•  rlhjr says:

That might work out with Pugh at LT. However our coaching brain trust might balk at moving Beatty. Mosley is large and mean enough to be a ROT.
        But the one thing that must happen is Schwartz to RG. Even with Beatty still on the field, your line is still better.