New York Giants Cutdown Day (75-Man) Scorecard

August 26th, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Cutdown day is a brutal day across the NFL, and there will be two of them this week. The first, which requires teams to trim their roster from 90 players to 75 players, will conclude at the end of business on Tuesday. And for the New York Giants, that means they will need to officially release, waive or otherwise designate a total of 15 players.

Because information on departing players comes in drips and drabs, we here at Giants 101 offer you the following "scorecard" (of sorts) to better help you keep track of all of Big Blue's moves throughout the day. But please keep in mind that some players listed as waived/released may actually have been given a different designation — at least that has happened in the past. So until the team makes it official, don't be too quick to say goodbye to a player you were rooting for.

Waived/Released/Cut:

Waived/Injured:

• Defensive lineman Emmanuel Dieke
  • Linebacker Justin Anderson

Injured Reserve:

• Safety Cooper Taylor
  • Wide receiver Marcus Harris

James shared the following goodbye via Instagram:

"Wanna thank the New York Giants for giving me the opportunity to start my career in the National Football League. Things happen in life for a reason [and] I can leave this place with a smile because I know I gave it everything I had everyday. Shocked? Hell yes! But I guess that's how the business goes. Gonna miss my guys DRC, Vic Cruz, Prince and a lot more we had some good times but the one person I'll miss the most is my big brother Antrel — you showed me a lot taught me a lot and I looked up to you thanks for everything. I'd be lying if I say this didn't motivate me haha looks like the Charles James underdog story continues! GOD is good man!"

Dieke shared the following goodbye via Instagram:

"I want to thank the New York Giants organization for this tremendous opportunity to live my dream of playing in the NFL and being apart of a first class organization. I've been through disappointment before and all it does is make me stronger! Things happen that are outta of our control and that's life! It's easy to believe in God when things are perfect but what you gonna do when things don't go your way? I'll be back!"

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Brandon McManus, Charles James, Football, Jerome Cunningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Spencer Adkins, Xavier Grimble

Short URL:

42 Responses to “New York Giants Cutdown Day (75-Man) Scorecard”

1.  James Stoll says:

Charles James may have been cut from the team but he is still enshrined in the G101 Hall of Fame

•  Krow says:

Adrien Robinson is getting his own bust there. And yes, pun intended.

Good kid who it was easy to root for from day 1. But he deserved to be cut.

I’m not sure if after they cut someone they then designate for the practice team, but I’d be surprised if Grimble doesn’t wind up there if he gets healthy.

2.  James Stoll says:

so far no surprises……
    just disappointment (lookin’ at you Josh Brown)

If they cut Donnell (which they probably won’t) I would bet he wouldn’t be claimed by anyone and would be sitting by the phone if they ever for some reason wanted him back.

They OUGHT to cut someone who would surprise the players and get their attention in a hurry. The lack of focus is ridiculous.

Just one glaring example: Paysinger (whom I happen to like) completely misses an assignment against the Jets and allows a tight end to get absolutely free in the end zone with no one within ten yards of him. He’s a veteran. How does that happen? Did he get chewed out on the sideline? I’m guessing not. Just a calm approach “Hey, this is what you should have done.” You think if Bill Parcells was coaching this team the guy would have been treated that way? Maybe these kids need more fear instilled in them. The rational, positive, approach doesn’t seem to be working.

4.  Hanshi says:

Thanks Dan

5.  Hanshi says:

Holliday, Cox and MM will be cut IMO as well.

I’d be shocked if Paysinger is cut. I think that would be a HUGE mistake.

Holliday and Cox definitely should be cut. I’m on the fence about Manningham because I have no idea if he CAN get healthy. Depends upon the medical reports. I still am convinced Coughlin will not go into the season without one more veteran receiver than Cruz and Randle. He obviously doesn’t love Jernigan (we know Mara and Reese do like him so it had to be Coughlin who was the “disputant” when we heard about the internal dissension in regard to this guy). I suspect he is hoping Manningham shows well on Thursday so he can keep him. I suspect that won’t happen because of Mario’s knee, but I have to confess that I am rooting for him big-time. I think I have an emotional investment in the guy because his family situation is so awful and I know he really needs a break. I also happen to think that, if and when healthy, he is still a quality receiver who can help the team a lot. It’s all about health with him. Some guys never really come back from ACL surgery. He may be one of them.

•  James Stoll says:

with Beckum on the shelf indefinitely, they can’t afford to carry another guy hampered by injury
      MM has to get cut
      JJ should as well because he stinks
      he’s a veteran in name only

•  Hanshi says:

I like Paysinger too. I think he’ll be a victim of the numbers game. But, maybe not until the next round of cuts. It’s gotta be him or Herzlich, IMO.

7.  T-Thom97 says:

mm def should be cut. he isn’t healthy and hasn’t done much when playing. I was very excited when we signed holliday. very upset over the injury. he is so explosive and a playmaker on special teams.

8.  BigBlueGiant says:

I’d keep MM and cut JJ.

Why I know you don’t like JJ but I’m curious what you see in MM. Or is it just a leap of faith the old MM will return?

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Nah! MM can no longer get separation and is muscled in the first 5 yards. Unable to get his body in front of the CB on 5-15 yard situations and not fast enough to take off on the fly.

9.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Ref Disappointed in TE’s . Heck if the coached just read 101 they would have known long ago we had 4 practice squad players as TEs. Dissapointed? Why? What is the old saying for computers Garbage in Garbage Out.

Watching our offensive line (incl TE’s) is like watching the ’64 Mets with three men on third base. You don’t know if you should laugh or cry.

The saddest part of it all is that this is a terrible way for TC to end his career. JR gives him trash and he is going to take the hit.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    August 26, 2014 at 12:06 AM
    Here’s huge news with roster cuts:

I saw there were 2 new players added to PS but what was also added is just for those 2 players is those players could have played 32 regular season games in the first 2 years. Basically it means James and Cox are guys that are eligible for those extra PS spots this year. It might change our team this year but it allows us great flexibility to keep 2 players that could help us this year. Being a James fan it would be nice to keep him around. Cox I think it deserving of a roster spot but with his PS eligibility and maybe adding a RB cut who adds some Wilson skill makes sense.