The first cutdown day for the New York Giants has officially arrived, and by the end of business on Tuesday, Big Blue will have had to trim their roster to 75 players. And the very first player on the chopping block is kicker Brandon McManus, who has reportedly lost the kicking competition to veteran Josh Brown.
McManus was originally signed to a Reserve/Futures contract in early January, but his big leg really opened eyes and earned him a legitimate chance to win the starting job. And after an exceptionally impressive training camp where he missed all but on field goal, McManus actually appeared to be out ahead of the savvy veteran.
As recently as last Friday, prior to taking on the New York Jets, McManus was showing off just how powerful his leg was, booting 70-yard field goals during warmups. He even nearly connected from 75-yards out, but was a bit wide.
Despite playing well, the Giants apparently opted to go with experience and now will now move forward with Josh Brown, who had a career-best season in 2013.
With McManus now subject to waiver rules, there's a very strong likelihood he'll be claimed by a kicker-hungry team like the Philadelphia Eagles. Of course, that's not exactly what the Giants will want to see, but there's just no way they could have justified carrying two kicker. And had they released Brown instead, the situation would have likely been exactly the same.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Brandon McManus, Football, Josh Brown, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles
- New York Giants Kicking Competition Personal, but All Business for Josh Brown, Brandon McManus
- New York Giants Kicker Josh Brown “Kinda Likes” the 33-Yard Extra Point
- New York Giants Sunday Morning Storylines: Expect a Kicker Competition in Training Camp?
- New York Giants, Quarterback Josh Freeman Agree to Terms: Report