August 25th, 2014 at 3:00 PM
By Doug Rush

Thus far, Odell Beckham Jr. is 0-for-4 when it comes to actually taking the field and playing for the New York Giants in any of their preseason games this summer.

Now, it looks like it'll be 0-for-5, as the Giants have said that they will not play their first round draft pick when the Giants play the New England Patriots on Thursday night in their preseason finale at MetLife Stadium.

Beckham was dealing with hamstring issues the week of the Giants game against the New York Jets; a game many thought would be his debut for the team, but after he left practice last week with the issue, the team didn't want to risk it and make an injury that held him out for almost three weeks any worse.

With Beckham out, it has allowed the likes of Corey Washington to step up and produce for the team; scoring four touchdowns in the four preseason games and may have won himself a spot on the 53-man roster.

With Beckham now out for Thursday against the Patriots, the real question now becomes; will Beckham be ready to go for Week 1 on September 8th against the Detroit Lions; the Giants opening game of the 2014 regular season on Monday Night Football. While you have to hope the team is just taking all the proper precautions necessary with Beckham, his lack of presence on the field and in games this summer doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence on Beckham getting onto the field, but there's still a lot of time before Thursday night's game and Week 1, so by the time September 8th rolls around, Beckham might be just fine and ready to roll against the Lions.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Corey Washington, Football, New England, New England Patriots, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr.

Short URL:

26 Responses to “Odell Beckham Jr. Won’t Play in New York Giants Preseason Finale Vs. New England Patriots”

1.  Kettles78 says:

I am frustrated by this, I can only imagine how OBJ and TC feel about this

2.  Michael Cervellino says:

Oh gosh the longer this goes on, the more it is tempting to say we could have gone Zack Martin in round 1 and Jordan matthews iin round 2. Only Weston Richburg keeps me from saying that very thing. Although Zack Martin – round 1, Weston Richburg – round 2, Donta Moncrief – round 3 would not have been too bad. Sorry but had to just think that one out loud for a second. The problem moving forward with OBJ is that he is one of those physically tightly wound track guys that are prone to hamstring pulls and strains of the lower extermities. I’ve seen that a lot in athletes I’ve coached. Add to that the fact that he was one of the weaker, if not the weakest, WR combine invitees in the bench press. He put up only about 7 reps, as opposed to guys like Matthews, Moncrief, Allen Robinson and even Brandon Cooks, who were all in the 15-22 range I believe. Makes him a bit more susceptible to upper body hits. I worry about his long term ability to stsy on the field. Although everyone says how nuch they love the young wide receivers, I worry that there are very few proven commodities outside of Cruz and Randle. Still don;t see a #1 out there who can take the top off a defense or dominate physically and scare defenses. I would say the WR and TE positions, and the uncertainty of the OL have me apprehensive right now. Interesting to see what will happen as far as our personnel after many teams cut down.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Cruz is the only proven commodity. Randle sucks.

And I agree with you about ODJ, I wasn’t too happy with the pick, but we’ll see what he does IF he gets healthy this year. I don’t expect to see him till week 2-4.

3.  skinnydoogan says:

Sounds like IR is coming for him.

•  James Stoll says:

i’ve been suggesting short-term IR since last week, but now that Schwartz may have earned that appointment, not sure what they do with Beckum.
      Likely they simply carry him for the first month; if he can’t get healthy by then they probably IR him and either elevate a practice squader or re-sign someone who they’ve just cut.

Memo to Mario Manningham: keep in shape

4.  Nosh.0 says:

What they need to do now is just let this get to 100% and not put a time table on him. If he’s back for Week 4 fine. After the bye, fine. You can’t choose when this is going to heel, you just have to do all the treatment and rehab and let the rest take it’s course.

Michael- I was wondering the same thing about Martin. And also wondered if the Titans called the Giants up right now and offered Lewan straight up for ODB what the Giants would do? Because I don’t see Beatty getting back to being a reliable LT. If I were an opposing teams DC I would run blitzes early to his side, get him to let up a sack early and that’s it for him. Beatty makes a bad play early and he lets it get in his head and he’s done for the rest of the game. Kids got no perseverance. David Deihl may not have had the athleticism Beatty has but the guy knew how to bounce back after a bad play. I believe that’s called grit.

5.  James Stoll says:

with no Beckum and no TEs, the Giant passing game looks pretty weak heading into the opener
    you would hope they could rely on the running game but given the o-line woes thats been spotty at best

gonna be interesting to see if this offense can score this year

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Cruz and Jennings out of the backfield. Once in a while to Washington who will rapidly over shadow RR.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

55-
    From a previous thread. No one is calling for the Giants OL to be dominant. That’s delusional to expect that from this group. I don’t expect them to simply maul opposing teams and run at will, which the great lines do. What I do expect, and what really has to be done in order for any success, is pass protection. I’m not asking them to give Eli all day to throw. But 3-4 seconds when it’s a 4 or 5 man rush I don’t think is unreasonable to ask for.

We obviously need to be able to run the ball better than last year, where there were far too many times a ball carrier was met in the backfield. But I’m not expecting, nor do we need, to be a great running team. What we need to do is protect Eli consistently enough for him to get into a rhythm. Otherwise the offense will become exactly what it was under Gilbride the last 2 years, over reliance on the big play. I am totally tolerant of a Lineman missing a block on a run play, and even the occasional confusion when a blitz is coming. But when a team rushes 3 or 4 lineman, we have to be able to protect that on a consistent basis. 2 out of 3 blocks made in pass protection will not cut it.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

If you look at the number of errors made by the starting OL one of them make any error on every other play. Just cut that in half against Det and the difference will allow Elisha to set a rhythm.

7.  James Stoll says:

last season we were the 5th lowest scoring team averaging 18.4 points per game
    we were 28th in yards per game

8.  Nosh.0 says:

Also, I’m not saying the OL has no talent. I think Pugh, Richburg, Mosely and Walton could form a decent line. So I hope my criticism of Fridays performance didn’t come off as “this group sucks and will always suck”. I think they have a chance to be a solid line.

But I would be lying if I said they looked good on friday night. They looked pretty awful. Including Schwartz. That’s where I disagree with almost everyone on here. I think/hope the line play will improve. And there is reason to believe they will. But if you’re grading fridays performance with a simple pass/ fail grade system, then I think there is absolutely zero debate. The starting OL as a group failed to protect Eli Manning on friday night. Saw it with my own 2 eyes.

9.  Nosh.0 says:

As for Mannignham playing before Washington friday night, that’s simply because they wanted to give Mario one last chance to try and earn a spot. I’m a big Grazxiano fan, but he just misread what that was about. We did the same thing with Barden last preseason, played him some with the 1′s to try and give him every possible chance to show something. That’s the case with Mario. As 55 alluded to earlier, Washington made this team before the Jet game even happened. MM is the player in danger, despite the fact he got snaps with the 1′s.

•  James Stoll says:

The Giants need to be smart with their WR cuts
      ODB may or may not get healthy this year and may end up an IR candidate by week 5 or so
      if that is the case, the G-Men are really going to need help
      over the course of the preseason, the WRs that looked the best were CW, MH, PP and JT, pretty much in that order
      the giants need to keep 6 guys to start and the question is whether one of those guys is JJ or not
      odds are he sticks despite his truly lackluster performance

if I were GM, i’d keep Washington, Parker and Talley, IR Harris, and cut MM and JJ
      If a receiver is needed later in the season, MM will certainly be available; JJ may be

10.  James Stoll says:

anyone hear whether Mosely is seriously injured?
    I read he didn’t practice yesterday due to back issues
    Its at least the second time this summer his back has acted up
    anyone know anything on this front?

•  Nosh.0 says:

Hopefully it’s just one of those things that flared up and calmed down with rest. I believe Kareem McKenzie used to deal with something similar.