Shortly after New York Jets quarterback Matt Simms — son of former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms — connected with wide receiver Greg Salas for a touchdown on Friday night, he turned to the bench and unleashed his version of Victor Cruz's salsa dance. The referee was not impressed.
Simms said after the game that his attempt at a salsa was pre-planned along with Geno Smith and Michael Vick, but stressed that it was not meant as a taunt or insult to Victor Cruz. On the contrary, it was more along the lines of a homage to his offseason workout partner and friend.
"I was just having some fun, nothing personal. I actually worked out with Victor in the offseason this year. I know him personally,” Simms told Yahoo! Sports. “I didn't take a jab at him or anything like that. I was just having some fun with something that everyone knows in the stadium.”
Asked about it after the game, Cruz took no offense to the salsa either. As Simms had alluded to, Cruz considers the duo friends and didn't take exceptions to Simms' poor attempt at his salsa.
"That’s my guy. Me and him, we train a little bit in the offseason together. He throws me a couple passes here and there when I need a quarterback over there with my trainer. He’s good. He’s a good dude," Cruz said."
Meanwhile, back on the field, referees were unable to keep their composure and uncharacteristically reacted to the celebration … one by hanging his head.
“The ref just looked at me and started shaking his head, he was like 'C'mon man, really?' So, I couldn't help it, was like 'Sorry' and kept walking by,” Simms said.
No harm, no foul. It was all in good fun and provided a quick laugh for all involved.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.Football, Geno Smith, Matt Simms, Michael Vick, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Phil Simms, Victor Cruz
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Nominated for a Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Sports Award
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz: “I Would Like to Think of Myself as a Brand First”
- New York Giants’ Eli Manning, Victor Cruz Among NFLPI’s Top 50 Player Sales Rankings
- New York Giants Friday Morning Storylines: Phil Simms Believes Giants O-Line is X-Factor
- Phil Simms: New York Giants Have Had a “Great Offseason”