New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Encouraged by the “Progress” on Offense

August 23rd, 2014 at 11:00 AM

It may not have been too pretty out of the gate, but the new-look New York Giants offense finally showed a little something during the final 2:00 of the first half on Friday night against the New York Jets, as they proceeded to drive the ball 91-yards down the field, capping it off with an 15-yard touchdown pass from Eli Manning to Rueben Randle.

While many concerns still linger, it was the first real example of what Ben McAdoo's West Coast-style offense is supposed to look like when functioning. And after the game, head coach Tom Coughlin called it "progress" and said he felt somewhat encouraged by what he saw.

"I think it was progress. I definitely do," Coughlin said. "I thought we ran the ball early on and I thought that Jennings did a nice job with that. I thought that we blocked the run pretty well. It was inconsistent, which I think the Jets’ defense is very good at shutting down what you’ve just done. And then with the two-minute drive, we did advance the ball with the pass. I think it’s a good step."

The real key to that drive was solid play from the offensive line, which looked completely overmatched and confused for the first 28 minutes of the game. And while he couldn't pinpoint exactly who did what right without looking at the tape, Coughlin acknowledged that 180 was the reason for their success on that specific drive.

"Well, obviously somebody is doing a pretty good job. We did eventually move the ball. I’m going to have to look at the tape to tell you exactly what my thoughts are on that, but I would say for the most part I think that people got a little bit better today," Coughlin said.

From a statistical standpoint, it was a tremendous turnaround for the Giants offense. On that drive alone, quarterback Eli Manning eclipsed all of his preseason stats combined, ultimately finishing the game 12/21 for 139 yards and a touchdown. But in addition to better offensive line play, the flashes of success can also be attributed to wide receiver Victor Cruz, who broke out of his preseason-long slump with four receptions for 61 yards.

It may not have been everything the Giants and their fans were hoping for, but at least it's something. A positive is a positive and it finally gives Big Blue something to build off of.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Ben McAdoo, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Rueben Randle, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

12 Responses to “New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Encouraged by the “Progress” on Offense”

Amazing what you miss the first time around.

Actually, Schwartz was playing very well before he was hurt. I hope he recovers soon. Mosley, Richburg, Walton and Pugh will grade out well. Beatty was VERY inconsistent.

Jernigan was okay on that last drive. Might have been enough to save him.

Kiwi was better than I thought but JPP is doing nothing out there. He’s an issue, although he was chipped the few times he beat his man in the pass rush or would have had a sack.

DRC is ‘da Bomb. And Jacquian Williams looks great (except for the one play where Chris Johnson made an ungodly cut that left him grasping air).

Eli is throwing the ball well when he has any time. His mobility is zero.

Randle looks much more comfortable and confident.

We are good against the run and good running the ball. That’s two critical strengths.

Seeing the first Hal again it really was just a few breakdowns that did us in. I’m a little encouraged. But a LONG way to go.

2.  Dirt says:

Top to bottom, there’s too much levelheadedness on this page. I’ll be back when the lunacy shows up.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

Kujo is spot on last thread. I don’t know what game you guys watched. I guess seeing the 2nd string play well made the train wreck of the First half easier to digest.

Other than the last drive the offense was putrid. That was a flat out melt down by our first string OL last night.

Oh and something no one has mentioned, the Jets gashed us on the ground. And Geno Smith was able to throw the ball down field all half against us.

But yeah Ryan Nassib looked good. So we got that going for us.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I just don’t feel like abandoning all hope yet, thats all. Don’t know if I can handle another year like last.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Well no, you shouldn’t abandon hope in the preseason. But this offense got the same results Gilbrides did the past 2 years. Zero rhythm until the 2 minute drill.

Will Beatty is going to try to ruin our season. He’s awful for the same reason Osi was great. It only takes 2-3 QB pressures/sacks/strips from the blind side to change a game.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

Here’s my reaction from last night right after the game ended.

Well if our 2nd team can play against other organizations 2nd stringers then I would feel very good about the regular season.

I know I gave Eli a lot of cr@-p last week but I can’t even do it this week because our starting OL had a 2013 esq. meltdown. Unbelievable how poor they played in pass protection. You know it got bad when midway through the 2nd Q every play call is a designed rollout. Maybe an interior of Richburg, Walton, and Mosely will be respectable.

Hopefully Randle is earning some of Eli’s trust. Jernigan clearly hasn’t despite some big plays late last season. I’m ready to see what someone else can do in his spot. Kellen Davis is the worst player in football. An undersized TE who can’t block, catch, or run. Someone said earlier, he should be cut tomorrow.

It’s a little unfair since I haven’t seen ODB play yet, but I wish we traded up for Jake Mathews. Watching Beatty get beat inside by Jason Babin shows he learned absolutely nothing over the offseason. And for people watching Hard Knocks, Mathews looks like every bit the player and professional that he was advertised to be.

Too early to make any true assessments, but I can’t say what we’ve seen from the offense is encouraging at all. Jennings maybe, that’s about it.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Agreed Kellen Davis is terrible, but I don’t think he is undersized, I think he is around 6’7.

•  skinnydoogan says:

6’7 265 to be exact. Pretty huge, but he does an awful TE impersonation, as do the rest of the alleged TE’s on our roster.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I guess he just looks skinny for a TE on the field. Plus it’s not like he uses that 6’7 frame. But yeah point taken. Can’t call someone that tall undersized.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

I think the Defense will pretty much be what we’ve seen from the Giants from 2010 on. They are not good enough to win a game by themselves, but can flash signs of a top tier unit.

No one will mistake us for Seattle or San Fran, but certainly good enough to make the playoffs. The key will be the offense as I think in recent years our D has fed off the momentum created by the offense. If we’re moving the ball and scoring I think that feeds over to the D. But if we’re going 3 and out on O then the defense will eventually crack.

At the end of the day the season rests on the offense, and the passing game. And yes I realize this isn’t some new revelation.

Well, Nosh and I have been agreeing too much of late, so it feels right to be able to say I am now in strong disagreement with his assessment of the game (which I have now watched twice….that second time really makes a difference).

The offensive line actually played pretty well. The run game was good. Walton was VERY stout. Schwartz, Richburg, Mosley and Pugh were all pretty good (Mosley was beaten badly on one play but acquitted himself well overall). The problem was Beatty. He broke down three times and on two of them it cost them a really bad play (which in both cases were contributed to by bad decisions by Eli). We have to hope he starts to play better because last night brought back a few glimmers of the nightmarish 2013 version of Will Beatty. The blocking was extremely good on the last drive of the half (including from Beatty). And Jennings is an excellent protector of his quarterback.

I don’t think we were “gashed” on the ground. There were a few plays that weren’t made by our defensive ends and a few extraordinary individual plays by Chris Johnson. But for the most part we stopped the run against a quality offensive line and some good running backs. Let’s remember that the Jets’ starters did only score ten points (and most of them stayed in for a reasonable part of the third quarter). If you paid little attention to the Jets’ announcers you’ll recognize that “the pass that should have been a touchdown” that wasn’t caught by Decker was, in fact, a tough defensive play by DRC and that, in fact, the Jets scored all the points they should have against our starting defense, which acquitted itself pretty well without two critical players (Prince and Beason) who should be available Week 1 or 2. Yes, Smith was allowed to get too comfortable in the pocket and the pass rush MUST improve, but other than that I think we should be pretty satisfied with the defense (which remained plain vanilla as it should in preseason).

We have issues, but they ain’t nearly as bad as some think. This doesn’t look like a championship contender at this point, but they look a LOT better than they have for the past two+ years.