August 23rd, 2014 at 2:55 PM
By Doug Rush

On Friday night, the New York Giants offensive line may have taken a severe blow when starting left guard Geoff Schwartz had to be carted off the field as a result of a dislocated toe during the team's victory over the New York Jets.

Schwartz will now go see a foot specialist following the MRI that disclosed the diagnosis of the toe injury, as Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported and right now, the team's outlook on Schwartz's injury is not very good.

Dr. David Chao, a former NFL head physician and current orthopedic surgeon, said that with the news of Schwartz going to see a specialist to look at his injury, it's quite possible that he may land on season-ending injured reserve.

Schwartz was signed to a four-year deal by the Giants and brought over from the Kansas City Chiefs after breaking out as one of the top guards in the NFL last season and was rewarded with the big contract. Now, it looks like he may have to wait a year before taking the field for the team.

Rookie Weston Richburg may assume the starting left guard duties, as he did practice with the team on the first unit at left guard earlier in the week and could find himself starting at left guard in the team's final preseason game against the New England Patriots on Thursday.

With the idea that Schwartz could be lost for the season, the rumors of the Giants possibly looking into a trade for San Francisco 49ers guard Alex Boone may pick up again; as they were once rumored to being a potential favorite to land him and could send a third round draft pick to acquire him.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Alex Boone, Football, Geoff Schwartz, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Weston Richburg

Short URL:

23 Responses to “Giants’ Geoff Schwartz to See Foot Specialist for Dislocated Toe; Outcome Isn’t Looking Good”

1.  Dirt says:

I just rewatched the NFL Network rebroadcast and I think I figured out some of the defensive issues.

Seems as if Fewell has been experimenting with a 10 man look, leaving his left DE on the sideline.

I charted every single snap that Kiwi had. He got into Smith’s ZIP code on only two occasions, and those two times he was not blocked. As in literally untouched or otherwise unencumbered to the QB. And didn’t impact the pass either time. He was even blown back by about 7 yards by a TE at one point as a diversion from his usual stonewalling by a singular Jet lineman.

So including last week, he has exactly one (1) QB pressure.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah I like Kiwi but he’s always been overrated by fans. And he’s never been the same player since the neck injury. I’d prefer Moore and JPP starting and Ayers and Kiwi as part of the rotation.

He played the run well. And JPP didn’t touch the QB either AND didn’t contain on two different running plays. Why not come down on him? Neither is getting any pressure on the QB.

The coaches HAVE to give in and get Moore more snaps. Right now he looks like their best defensive end, and it isn’t close.

•  Dirt says:

The answer to your question very simple my friend: Because I chose to watch Kiwi specifically in the little time I had for my activity haha

However, I will say this. We need JPP to step up and be JPP. He hasn’t yet, but we know/think/hope he is capable of playing better. Kiwi isn’t.

Moore should be the starter on day 1, to work his kinks out as the rest of the team is, early.

•  Nosh.0 says:

JPP has been MIA since the second half of 2012. But he has to play. Because no other DE has the ceiling to take our pass rush to an elite level. Plus, at 25 years old going into a contract year, we need to know what he is before we make any long term financial commitments.

I guess the reason I haven’t called him out is because he’s basically Eli of the defense. He has to play. Don’t worry though, if he sucks it up during the regular season I will be on here saying that we shouldn’t re-sign him.

2.  wduda83 says:

Foot specialist eh? With Rex Ryan on the other sideline last night they could have killed two birds with one stone.

Losing Schwartz for the season would be really bad. I know a number of people have been down on him, and even claim he was lousy last night. I disagree. I thought he played well right up to the point at which he was injured. I think he missed a few blocks, but so does EVERY offensive lineman in the sport. Those defensive guys ain’t chopped liver.

I don’t have a problem with Richburg and Mosley playing. In fact I think both will do fine. But we now have no depth at all, and that’s a very dangerous situation. Reynolds is decent as a backup at center who could probably play guard in a pinch (although Richburg would probably be the real backup at center). Beyond that I’m not sure we have anyone. Asper looked okay, but it was against backups so it’s hard to really tell if he has any talent worth considering. Jerry looked pretty bad. Then there’s Brewer. I think by default he’s going to make the roster. But we’d better either pick someone up or pray every day that no one gets injured on the offensive line the rest of the way (and that Will Beatty somehow remembers how to play well, because he was the weak link last night).

Having said all this, I think the offensive line acquitted itself reasonably well last night. I think the bellyaching about them is way overdone.

•  Nosh.0 says:

We agree on everything except this part in regards to Schwartz,

“I thought he played well right up to the point at which he was injured. I think he missed a few blocks, but so does EVERY offensive lineman in the sport.”

Actually no, not every offensive lineman misses a few blocks in one half of football. The pro bowl level guys don’t. Which Schwartz was advertised to be. I’ll gladly make the excuse for Schwartz that he was playing out of position. But I can’t say he’s been anything close to what he was advertised as in regards to his play at LG this preseason.

4.  kujo says:

I’ll hold off on the doom and gloom until we hear definitively about Schwartz’s status. But if he’s out, we’ve got ourselves serious issues. Despite the hype surrounding him coming into camp, Brandon Mosley has performed average, at best, this preseason. Ditto for Walton, who seems like a less good version of Kevin Boothe. And with Beatty trying to work himself back into form, Schwartz and Pugh were supposed to be our assumptions, the guys who were going to perform at an above-average level and lift the collective boat.

But this doesn’t sound good. As a matter of fact, this sounds REALLY bad. Now it could be that Schwartz gets that temporary IR tag, but that sounds like a best case scenario, and we seldom find ourselves the recipient of that sort of luck.

So right now, our OL is dangerously thin, and I suspect Reese will be making some phone calls, looking for some tradeable assets to come in and hold the line, as it were.

This is not good, guys. Not good at all.

•  Nosh.0 says:

At this point I’m just hoping that I turn on MNF in 15 days and we some how look like a different offense than we’ve seen the past season and a half. I have no logic behind it, just the hope of a fan. Maybe I’ll start chanting 2007! 2011! 2007! 2011! That seems to be Coughlins go to move when we play poorly.

5.  kujo says:

One of the biggest bummers about Schwartz’s injury is that it forces our backup center to play left guard, depriving him of the chance to really hone in on what it takes to be an elite center. His attention will be on a different position, and yes, he’ll probably do a very good job there. But Richburg should be our starting center as soon as possible, as he is a natural bada** mother f’er.

6.  James Stoll says:

Never saw the game
    Blacked out up here
    Read the good the bad and the ugly
    Should I watch?

7.  kujo says:

Oh, and Jerrell Jernigan ought to be cut. He’s just a bum. I don’t care how fast or elusive you are–if you run lousy routes, and have stone hands, you’re useless as a football player.

I’d gladly take this Parker kid, or Harris or Talley, over him. Ditto for Mario “Crayon Eater” Manningham.

Schwartz, Beatty, and Baas … the Three Bustkateers.

9.  ERICHONIUS says:

I rewatched the jets game and saw major issues with the oline, most of which were on both guards. Over and over the jets ran stunts and our line had serious issues dealing with it. About every time, the guard (most frequently Mosley) takes the bait on the outside move, leaving a direct path for the OLB. I am sure most of you heard the name Babin frequently? Well that is because of the above issue. An example is the 9th play of the 2nd drive, where Mosley takes thaw bait and allows rush through his gap, pass ends up IC to Jernigan.
    Also, I noticed JD Walton struggled for the first time (as far as I have seen). It seemed the struggles stemmed from the matchup with Richardson. Walton was in a one-on-one match up most of the time, and it was seemed that Walton struggled with Richardson’s strength. Perhaps something to watch on matchups with premier NT’s.
    For the most part, the tackles, had the fewest problems. I did notice that it seemed as if both Beatty and Pugh struggled a bit with bullrushes.
    I saw some good things in run blocking this week; a good rebound from last week. Particularly, the guards, and particularly Mosley who consistently did a good job opening holes with a strong push and was active making blocks in the second level.

•  Nosh.0 says:

The running game did look solid. We saw a couple of gains over 5 yards which I don’t think we saw all of last season.

Pass protection on the other hand. Well I’ve already said my piece. Eli was running around way too much last night for anyone to feel comfortable about our offense right now.

10.  GIANTT says:

Ok , I just watched the replay also . I have two questions
    We know Cory Washington can catch and run and he is a big dude . Why not tight end ?
    Second isnt Jerry the rebirth of Boothe from the (ahem ) back side , even down to the number ?
    77 btw has been worn by a couple of tale makers on the Giants – Troy Archer and Gary Jeter . IDK why that comes to mind , just a remembrance

•  skinnydoogan says:

The fact that you noticed his a** and not his play has me a little more than disturbed Mr. T

•  GIANTT says:

There were MANY posters who remembered Boothe for his oversized anatomical features . I was merely drawing attention to a similar plus size is all .