August 22nd, 2014 at 11:16 PM
By Doug Rush

For over a year, Snoopy was held captive by the New York Jets. After Friday night, he'll find himself on the right side of things following the latest preseason meeting between the New York Giants and the Jets.

The Snoopy we're referring to is the Snoopy trophy the winning team gets for the annual MetLife Bowl game played in the preseason and this year, the Giants were able to take care of business and the Jets as they secured a 35-24 win.

Early on, it did not look pretty for the Giants starting offense and fans everywhere held their collective breath when starting left guard Geoff Schwartz went down to the turf and had to be carted off the field with what was being diagnosed as a dislocated toe; no timetable has been established on how long he'll be out for.

The Jets put up the first points of the game; a 31-yard field goal by Nick Folk that made it 3-0 in favor of the Jets with 2:01 left in the first quarter. On the Jets next possession, Geno Smith found rookie tight end Jace Amaro for a one-yard touchdown strike that put the Jets ahead 10-0 and for most of the first half, the Jets were sitting pretty while the Giants looked like they couldn't get out of their own way.

But with just a few minutes to go before halftime, Eli Manning lead his team down the field on an 11-play, 91-yard drive that took 1:48 to go down the field and ended with Manning connecting with Rueben Randle on a 15-yard touchdown pass that got the Giants on the board and cut the lead to 10-7 heading into halftime.

When the Jets took over the ball in the second half, Michael Vick and Chris Johnson couldn't get the handoff set, as they both fumbled the ball and had it recovered by Damontre Moore on the Jets 16-yard line, which set up a Ryan Nassib three-yard touchdown pass to Henry Hynoski that gave the Giants their first lead of the game at 14-10.

On the very next drive, Vick made up for his blunder as he lead the Jets on a 11-play drive that saw him find Eric Decker on a three-yard touchdown strike and the Jets re-took the lead at 17-14.

With 2:49 left in the third quarter, it was Nassib connecting on his second touchdown pass of the game, finding Preston Parker for a 39-yard catch and the Giants took a 21-17 lead, which is what the score was heading into the fourth quarter.

The Jets though wouldn't lie down, as Matt Simms, son of former Giants quarterback Phil Simms, threw an 11-yard touchdown pass to Greg Salas and the Jets reclaimed the lead at 24-21.

But on the very next possession, it was Andre Williams who got the last laugh on Rex Ryan, Damon Harrison, Willie Colon, Nick Mangold and everyone else on the Jets who ran their mouth during the week as he scored the go-ahead one-yard touchdown run that put the Giants up 28-24 with 6:18 left in the game.

On the Giants next offensive possession, Nassib put the cherry on top of the sundae as he found Corey Washington for his third touchdown of the night, Washington's fourth of the preseason, a 31-yard score and the Giants rubbed the Jets noses in it, going up 35-24 and that's where the score would stay for the rest of the game.

The Giants improve to 4-0 in the preseason, while the Jets dropped to 2-1 on the summer. Manning went 12-for-21 with 139 yards and a touchdown. Nassib went 8-for-12 with 103 yards and three touchdowns. Between the two Giants quarterbacks, they threw four touchdown passes with no picks in the game.

While Rashad Jennings lead all rushers with 67 yards on 13 carries, it was Williams who scored the important go-ahead touchdown and had 49 yards on 11 carries. Victor Cruz lead all receivers with four catches for 61 yards, Parker had three catches for 52 yards and a touchdown, Randle had two catches for 41 yards and a touchdown and Washington had two catches for 36 yards and a touchdown.

It wasn't pretty early on, but at the end of the day, when the Giants get a chance to rub the Jets faces in the dirt after all the trash they talked over a preseason game, they have to feel somewhat good about it. They do have to be concerned over Schwartz's injury and have to hope he's not out for an extended period of time.

The Giants have one remaining preseason game left, as they will remain in New Jersey to play the New England Patriots at MetLife Stadium on Thursday, August 28.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Andre Williams, Corey Washington, Eli Manning, Football, Henry Hynoski, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Preston Parker, Rex Ryan, Ryan Nassib

Short URL:

11 Responses to “Andre Williams’ 4th Quarter Go-Ahead Touchdown Leads New York Giants to 35-24 Win Over Jets”

1.  Kettles78 says:

Hope Mangold has a safe ride home being that he doesn’t have his car pool partner any longer.

Giants offense still did not look great. Had some positive plays but at times Eli had no time, others Eli had time and the WR got no separation and then there were times where they got it going a little bit.

Wasn’t overall impressed with the defense again. They need to start tightening up

2.  Nosh.0 says:

Well if our 2nd team can play against other organizations 2nd stringers then I would feel very good about the regular season.

I know I gave Eli a lot of cr@-p last week but I can’t even do it this week because our starting OL had a 2013 esq. meltdown. Unbelievable how poor they played in pass protection. You know it got bad when midway through the 2nd Q every play call is a designed rollout. Maybe an interior of Richburg, Walton, and Mosely will be respectable.

Hopefully Randle is earning some of Eli’s trust. Jernigan clearly hasn’t despite some big plays late last season. I’m ready to see what someone else can do in his spot. Kellen Davis is the worst player in football. An undersized TE who can’t block, catch, or run. Someone said earlier, he should be cut tomorrow.

It’s a little unfair since I haven’t seen ODB play yet, but I wish we traded up for Jake Mathews. Watching Beatty get beat inside by Jason Babin shows he learned absolutely nothing over the offseason. And for people watching Hard Knocks, Mathews looks like every bit the player and professional that he was advertised to be.

Too early to make any true assessments, but I can’t say what we’ve seen from the offense is encouraging at all. Jennings maybe, that’s about it.

3.  TroyThorne says:

Had to miss the 2nd half but the 2 minute drill at the end of the 2nd quarter looked real good. Offensive line was very shaky early on but Richburg looks like a real player. Eli had some nice throws and some god awful ones. 51% completion percentage throughout the preseason isn’t a good look, especially not in a WCO. We’ll see how things improve as the offense begins to gel.

On that note, I see a lot of people dumping on Schwartz and pointing out the OL looked better when he went out. It’s important to point out that when he went down we went into our 2 minute offense (a different beast) and began to roll out and move the pocket a whole bunch which worked out really well. I didn’t see Schwartz get beat but I did see Beatty whiff a block and Pugh mess up another blitz pickup. Just wanted to point that out before we start running him out of town (probably too late).

•  Nosh.0 says:

I can’t fully judge Schwartz until he’s at his natural position. When we signed him he said in an interview that RG was his best position but he would obviously defer to Snee. Then said he could play LG and handle Tackle if called upon.

Schwartz deserves blame because he has known since he signed here he would be playing LG, and has been pretty bad at it. But I would like to be 100% sure he sucks before I declare that he actually sucks. And I can’t do that until he’s on the right side.

Typical TC BS by playing him on the left. A stubborn coach who I imagine is playing Schwartz at LG because they believe Mosely is better suited for RG. Sounds like he’s robbing Peter to pay Paul. But we don’t have to have this argument for a while since Schwartz is hurt, and now will probably be banged up for the rest of the season ala David Bass.

But if he is healthy and ready to play, there is zero reason he should be at LG. The OL literally could not play worse then it did for most of the first half.

•  TroyThorne says:

I agree he should be placed at his best position since Mosley will likely be average at best regardless. However, I haven’t noticed Schwartz making huge blunders like others seemingly have. Do you remember any specific plays that he failed on? I’m being honest with that question as I’ve been (unfortunately) forced to watch all the preseason games on a streams and thus haven’t had the best view of things.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I just saw 1 in the first Q where his man got right by him inside. Same for the other 2-3 games. Beat once or twice and very underwhelming in the run game.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Put it this way, if he were a guy fighting for a roster spot he would be in danger of being cut based on his pre season. Obviously I don’t think what we’ve seen is the true Geoff Schwartz but I am concerned. I’d just like to get rid of the excuse “he’s playing out of position” so we can evaluate him without that variable.

ECHIRONIOUS I believe re watched the first 3 games looking at the line closely and came away disappointed by Schwartz as well. I don’t know the specific plays, but I’ve been underwhelmed by him so far.

4.  Fran2Eli says:

We may see Schwartz’s injury result in many around here getting their OL wish. Assuming Richburg play at LG out performs that of Mosley at RG will we see Schwartz reinstated at RG rather than LG when he returns? I think this depends as much on Beatty as it does Richburg. I’m convinced that the governing reason TC has Schwartz at LG is to support Beatty. Let’ hope Beatty and Richburg get it done on the left side. BID?

Been on work travel and now on vacay but a few quick points:

Tonight wasn’t great offensively but there was real progress. You can now see some signs of a good offense coming together.

Parker is going to be hard to keep off this team. He’s done well at WR but really took hold of PR.

The OL wasn’t great but they held their own. The Jets have as good of front as their is in the NFL. I was impressed by the running lanes.

Nassib is starting to get me excited. If he has to play this year I now feel we can win. He reminds me of Matt Hasslebeck.

Ross Weaver is not going to make the team but he might make PS.

James had a tough game and it might have cost him his roster spot. The kid is a NFL player but now probably won’t make this roster. Although I’m a James fan I think Jackson sneaks in as our 10th DB.

The young OL with Richber and Mosley did pretty well.

Moore should be a starter. He’s ready. I’m expecting an Osi like presence this year from him.

It doesn’t mean much but I do think it means a little something winning these games.

Washington just does what he does. The question is high high on the depth chart will he be.

Eli looked better. And JPP I still don’t know.

Don’t touch that trophy boys. You know Rex had his feet all over it.