August 20th, 2014 at 1:00 PM
By Daniel Graham

New York Giants safety Antrel Rolle spoke to the media earlier this week and answered several questions about what Big Blue need to do defensively to adjust to several factors affecting the team at this moment. Some of the questions thrown Rolle’s way were related to the offense’s mediocre production so far this preseason, the strict rules changes the league’s officiating has put on certain contact between players, and how cornerback Prince Amukamara's injury status after being helped off the field Saturday night in Indianapolis.

When asked about his comments made Saturday night about how the defense needs to improve, Rolle said that in the preseason you must improve each week, no matter how well or poorly you play.

“I think in all phases of the game. You always need to get better each week, no matter how you perform, good or bad. I don’t think we performed poorly; I just don’t think we executed at certain times," Rolle said.

He also addressed concern about the defense not getting off the field at times where perhaps they could have.

“I don’t think we got off the field when we should have, in particular on third downs. That’s why it’s preseason. You work to get better and work to gel together and fix all the mistakes that you possibly can before the season starts," he added.

Like many other defensive backs league-wide, Rolle was also asked about how the new rules changes pertaining to making contact with receivers will affect his or any defensive player’s techniques.

"Right now there is a very, very fine line as to what they will allow and what they won't allow, you just have to work it" Rolle said, adding that until somebody is called, they won't know how far they can push it. "You just have to go out there and play technique and trust the guy beside you."

Rolle admits that the new rules will take some getting used to and his technique will eventually change because of it. However, he added that has done nothing so far to change his style of play when it comes to the new rules.

"For me personally, I haven’t done anything at all to make the adjustment. I feel like they’re going to call what they’re going to call and whatever I get away with, I’ll get away it. I’m not going to let it alter my game at all. If they happen to make the call, we live, we line up and play again," he said.

Lastly, Antrel was asked about the prospects of the Giants newly tuned secondary with the additions of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Zack Bowman, as well as the return of safety Stevie Brown. When asked if he felt that the team is better prepared this year with the depth at the cornerback position, he replied, "Absolutely." These questions were raised in response to Prince Amukamura's recovery from a groin injury suffered in Saturday night's game in Indianapolis.

Rolle admitted that he wasn't sure about Prince's injury in full detail and is unsure if he will miss any playing time because of it. However, Rolle is interested in seeing who at the cornerback position can step up and "be that dominant guy" in case anyone misses any playing time.

"Hopefully he’ll be back with us in no time," Rolle said. "Prince is doing a phenomenal job here in camp and throughout the course of this preseason, so hopefully it’s minor. I really don’t know what’s going on. I think the depth we have at the cornerback position is awesome and guys are competing each and every day, fighting for those spots. May the best man win."

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Antrel Rolle, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince, Stevie Brown

Short URL:

16 Responses to “Giants’ Antrel Rolle Hoping Prince Amukamara’s Injury is Minor; Discusses Rule Enforcements”

Hosley still not practicing. That guy’s in trouble. He’d better hope they IR him because otherwise it looks like he’s going to be cut. Too bad. He appears to be a great athlete who just doesn’t “get” it.

Flag !

3.  skinnydoogan says:

The casualties are mounting.

4.  rlhjr says:

Prince has gone from relunctant to a baller. I really thought at one time that he was going to be punked by every WR in the league. Something magical happend after his infamous JPP driven dunk in the ice tub.

I hope they keep him out these last two games and let James and McBride slug it out. However, I think they both end up on the roster. Because exactly what has happened to Prince can happen for real.

Hosley I think will be given one last chance in the form of IR. Maybe given time to think, he’ll clean up his act. He’s done nothing this preseason. These two kids (James/McBride) are busting their respective a$$es to make the team.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Hosley is an awesome athlete who does not have much in the way of brains. I would rather take both McBride and James over him based on attitude alone.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Hopefully we see a lot of the “dead weight” gone in the next few weeks.

•  rlhjr says:

Hosley with his head screwed on properly would be wonderful insurance for when Thurmond boltz’s for more $$ next season. I willbe a shame if he does not wake up.

5.  rlhjr says:

FROM PREVIOUS THEAD:

I can understand the building of versatility in the offensive linemen.
    I also understand throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.

My main concern about this O-line is run blocking. Of the current personnel, only Richburg, Schwartz and Mosley strike me as bulldozers.
    And for whatever the reason Schwartz seems lost.

Not sure the Giants have ever been a trap blocking team. But this group looks like a finesse unit. Even moving Pugh to left tackle (a good move IMO) and inserting Mosley at ROT may not transform this group into dynamic hole openers for the run game.

Even though I think moving Schwartz to RG is the thing to do, will any of these combinations click by the first week of the season? Will they learn each other well enough to keep Eli clean and calm in the pocket? Do they come off the ball as a unit well enough to open holes? Just to be clear, when I say click by the first week of the season, I mean will the play well enough to not be an embarrassment.

Certainly they will need even more time to gel and learn each other. I’ve not seen positive signs thus far. I have my doubts about the current center too.
    However, it seems way too late to put Richburg at center except for injury to the incumbent.

Here to fore I (like DIRT and others) have deferred to our sage O-line coach. Him being recognized as one of the best in the business.

So this scrambling at this stage is gives me pause. I still think there is time to forge some bonding of the unit. But they have to settle on the five they want, and let them roll.

I think the key to the configuration of the line is the status of Beatty.
    If they trust his injury has healed and his stamina is good, then Pugh stays put
    and Richburg is inserted at guard. My gut perception is they will not start the season off with Beatty at left tackle. I think they will bring him along until perhaps game three when they are sure he’s completely healed and is sufficiently strong and conditioned.

I will say this much of Beatty; if he has taken the initiative to not only rehab effectively, but also bulk up both his upper and lower body, he could surprise in a big way. The guy’s only issues are his base, and his upper body strength.

If Beatty is held back, Pugh goes to LOT, Mosley to ROT, Schwartz to RG and Richburg to LG.

I’m not sure if Richburg played left or right guard in school.
    With Richburg being a rookie, Mr. F may not want to turn him around his initial run against professional DT’s. That may be what keeps Schwartz at left guard.
    Under no circumstances does Brown even come close to playing left tackle.

I just hope based on practice, game and video they place each guy where he excels. Anything less than that would be biblically stupid.

Well, I’ve been a fan of Prince from the beginning and still think that a lot of his seeming “softness” was more because of Fewell’s scheme that required him to lay off the receiver rather than take any chances on his getting deep. I think Fewell finally trusts his safeties and has recognized that his defense was getting eaten alive by teams consistently completing 6-8 yard passes on third downs in front of the corners that prevented the defense from getting off the field. So now Prince gets to be physical, which he most definitely was at Nebraska. Of course, that’s just in time for the league to mess with the rules and make physicality a penalty. So how much of Prince’s newfound toughness will be on display is a matter in question. No matter what, though, he’s a very good corner. DRC’s style may be better adapted to these stupid rule interpretations, but Prince is smart enough that he’ll probably adapt pretty well.

I wonder how much trouble Thurmond is going to have with this absurd change in the way the game is called?

•  rlhjr says:

That’s a good question to ask of any aggressive defensive back FF55.
      I just hope these refs error on the side of reality. The touching/hand fighting that happens with the ball is descending and BOTH receiver and defender are entitled to go after it. I don’t think the defender must stop defending and wait for the ball to be caught. Although in Goddells version of the NFL who the hell knows?

They are playing with fire here. Even the numb nuts fantasy geeks will see through this artificial attempt at generating points. And real fans will be disgusted. And this is killing the pace and flow of the game.

This is almost like the saying they are going to stop offensive linemen from holding defenders.

There would be a whitsel on every snap. But that would be the only way to compensate for this new foray into making defense obsolete in the NFL. Ignoring defensive linemen being held is part of the points production grand scheme that the NFL has already given the silent wink of approval to.

Rules should make the game fair. Holding is wrong by defenders but to call them for “tic-tac” fouls down field is ridiculous. Doing it to generate more offense, after making it basically unlawful to even hit offensive players is straight up BS.

The day is coming when NFL games will be the equivelent of the Harlem Globtroters VS The Washington Generals. Highly skilled comic actors.

As I’ve said many times, for the love of money the NFL is willing to destroy the integrity of its game. Talk about stepping on your crank or ovaries as the case may be…

Richburg will eventually be the center. It may not be for a few seasons but that’s going to be his position. He’ll probably be there for a long time.

In the meantime, they need to decide which two among Schwartz, Mosley and Richburg they will go with in 2014. I think the kid is too good to languish on the bench, but I also think Mosley is going to be a good player. He isn’t quick enough to play left tackle but is probably fully capable of handling the right side.

I’ll be convinced Beatty has improved when I see it consistently. This Friday should be a reasonable test for him. I don’t think it’s a secret that his problem has always been his lower body and ability to anchor combined with a lack of explosion that could be at least partially corrected by improving his upper body strength. He doesn’t look bigger to me, but perhaps I just am not seeing what’s there.

I would not be shocked to see the starting lineup in 2015 be, from left-to-right, Beatty, Pugh, Richburg, Schwartz and Mosley. I’d like to see Reese draft a left tackle in the next draft. They won’t be able to go heavy on offensive linemen in the 2015 draft because they’ll also be looking for tight ends and pass rushers, but I think they have to use one of their early picks on that left tackle position and a late one on another guard.