August 20th, 2014 at 7:00 AM
By Doug Rush

Remember five months ago when the New York Giants and New York Jets were battling it out for the chance to sign former Denver Broncos free agent cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie?

With the market settling, Rodgers-Cromartie came into New Jersey to first meet with the Jets and given their salary cap situation, everyone thought it would be a foregone conclusion that the Jets would lock him up, especially with Darrelle Revis going to the New England Patriots instead of returning to the Jets after he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

But even after Rodgers-Cromartie and the Jets met, the Giants were still the team that was next up for the veteran corner, and the Jets knew this heading into the meeting. When asked if Rodgers-Cromartie would have still taken the meeting with the Giants if the Jets had offered him a contract similar to the one the Giants gave him, he told them he was still meeting with the Giants either way.

“No matter what I was gonna take the visit,” DRC said.

It took a meeting with Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, then a dinner with Walter Thurmond and Quinton Demps along with head coach Tom Coughlin and the defensive coaching staff and when he returned to his hotel room that night, he was still up in the air about where he would sign, that was until he returned the following day to the Quest Diagnostics Training Center for the second meeting with the Giants, where he told his agent that he made a decision to choose blue over green.

“I really prayed on it, to be honest,” DRC said. “I went into a room, talked to my agent. I felt more comfortable over here.

“I just went with my gut feeling and it was here. It wasn’t just the money, no. … A true family and a true brotherhood here."

Now, five months later after Rodgers-Cromartie chose to sign his five-year, $35 million deal with the Giants instead of signing with the Jets, he will get a chance to play against those same Jets on Friday night in the two team's annual MetLife Bowl pre-season game.

The 28-year-old corner who finished a one-year deal with the AFC Champion and Super Bowl XLVIII runner-up Denver Broncos, is coming off a solid season where he had 39 total tackles with three interceptions and 19 pass deflections and will look to bring that play to a secondary that desperately needed a play-making type corner in DRC.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Denver Broncos, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Football, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL

Short URL:

6 Responses to “Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Felt More Comfortable Signing with New York Giants than New York Jets”

1.  James Stoll says:

one interesting tid-bit from yesterday’s practice:

•The Giants initially marched out their starting offensive line (Will Beatty LT, Geoff Schwartz LG, J.D. Walton C, Brandon Mosley RG, Justin Pugh RT) but then changed it completely a few plays in. Pugh played left tackle, Schwartz and Walton stayed at left guard and center, Weston Richburg played right guard and Mosley right tackle

I think they’re still trying to figure out what the best combos are. But keep in mind that Mosley is bigger than Pugh, and has a college resume as a real mauler, so actually better suits the profile of a right tackle than does Pugh (rlhjr referenced this a few days ago). My guess is that they are trying to decide if they could afford to move Pugh to left tackle if Beatty gets injured or plays like he did in 2013 (something a number of us suggested should be an option this season) and slide Mosley in at the right tackle spot in that circumstance.

I still think they should move Schwartz to the right side but recognize that they may have concluded that the left tackle is a question mark this season and they want a veteran guard over on that side to help.

And don’t discount the value of versatility. Not only does it improve the line, but it might result in allowing them to carry fewer offensive linemen in roster spots and thereby enable them to retain a young player elsewhere whom they really don’t want to expose on the practice squad.

2.  GIANTT says:

Im a little confused by that . I know they want versatility on the line but that sounds like a little too much . Maybe its a setup to confuse anyone watching . It certainly worked on me !

•  James Stoll says:

yeah
      after all the talk yesterday about Schwatz’s natural and pro bowl RG position, the one thing they don’t do is shuffle him to RG

There’s no way they don’t keep Washington on the roster (and make Randle compete with him for snaps if the kid keeps playing like he has so far). So that means that Beckham, Cruz, Randle and Washington are locks (Jim, if you really think they’d even consider dropping Randle then you’re smoking something).

I think they will have to keep six wideouts, but the last two are very much up in the air and these next two games are going to be critical to the rest of the group. Given that he has caught everything thrown his way, has earned praise from Cruz, and is a former quarterback so can easily understand the system and route trees, I think Harris should make the team unless he’s a complete washout on special teams, which I doubt is the case. We know there is a lot of debate internally about Jernigan. I suspect the coaching staff is rooting hard for Manningham to move quickly toward 100% recovery from his surgeries because he has produced for them in the past and they feel he can again (plus they probably want another veteran in the receiving corps to offset some of the youth). But he may just not be ready and they might have to cut him and hope he’ll be available if they need him. Talley has been doing well in practice, according to reports, but I think he loses the numbers game unless the coaches just refuse to have Jernigan over him and are willing to stake chips on that.

My view is that if Mario can show good progress over these last two preseason games he stays, but he has to show progress. If he does, then I think it’s Cruz, Randle, Beckham, Washington, Manningham and Harris. If Manningham doesn’t show well against the Jets and Pats then I think it’s either Jernigan instead of Manningham or they just carry five.

•  James Stoll says:

FF, I agree Randal is a near lock; I just think that’s a bad decision. His performance to date strikes me as sufficient evidence to suggest a kid who cannot transition to the pro game. Too many wrong reads; too little separation; too few big plays. But I recognize that as a 2d round pick in his third season there is virtually no way he gets cut in favor of 3, let alone 2, let alone 1 UFDA’s.
      Jernigan is not so secure, but on balance I think you have to lean towards him making the final 53. With 3 lackluster seasons under his belt it would be a surprise if he turned into anything more than a JAG, especially since his natural position is behind Cruz.

MM looks like toast based on everything one reads from practice reports — no burst, no speed.
      And of course from watching preseason games – no playing time.

What is looking like the wild card right now is ODB’s aka OBJ’s potential stint on short term IR. Although reports are that he did not reinjure his hammy, the same reports say his hammy is sore. He’s not practicing; he won’t play against the Jets.
      That means he’s a rookie WR that will have missed virtually all of preseason (and OTAs before that). That immediately makes him suspect as a starter even if he’s healthy by Week 1. If he’s still sore, that means he can’t play even in a reserve capacity, which means you may be carrying 6 but really only 5 can go.

If ODB aka OBJ gets IR’d, I think the final 6 end up looking like Cruz, Randal, Jernigan, Washington, Harris (and then pick ‘em: MM, Parker, Harvin, Talley)(I would guess Parker because of PR ability)

If ODB aka OBJ is not IR’d I think the entire pick ‘em group is gone unless the coaches have seen enough of JJ and want a better option at PR.

I have completely ignored Holliday as he can’t get his hamstring healthy enough to compete.