August 18th, 2014 at 7:00 AM
By Doug Rush

While it is only the preseason, a lot of people are already starting to push the panic button regarding the offense of the New York Giants.

During their third preseason game on Saturday against the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium, the Giants offense looked like the team that took the field in 2013 with Kevin Gilbride running what some called a stale and predictable offense, only this time, it was Ben McAdoo running things, but it certainly looked like the same old song and dance from a year ago.

The Giants are currently learning a new system with McAdoo as the team's new offensive coordinator and again, it is only the preseason, which generally means most teams don't show all of their cards in the summer. But even Giants head coach Tom Coughlin is starting to show some concern after the team's performance on Saturday night against the Colts and the 68-year-old head coach hopes that the preseason woes won't carry over into the regular season.

“I don’t know if there’s any other way of putting it but that,” Coughlin said, when asked if there was a fear that the poor performances by the offense would spill into the regular-season opener against Detroit. “We’ve had, over the last two years, we’ve had what would have to be looked at as unproductive preseasons or unproductive games in the preseason and yet, we still were able to come out and play well offensively in the regular season. Now, is that the case here? I don’t know that. We’re going to have to see how that goes. But is it a concern? Sure. It’s a concern.”

Last year, the Giants had what owner John Mara put as a "broken offense" under Gilbride and had it not been for his retirement from the NFL, that broken offense would have likely cost Gilbride his job as offensive coordinator. But now it's McAdoo running things and yet, the offense is still being talked about as having problems.

McAdoo was Coughlin's choice to be the offensive coordinator and if the Giants offense struggles again in the regular season and the team goes through another similar finish like 2013 with a sub-.500 record, Coughlin and company might not be around to see the 2015 season.

Of course, the Giants could just be waiting until the regular season to break out and unveil what the offense really will look like, in which case, all of this talk of concern will be for nothing. But until then, people will still raise questions as to whether or not McAdoo's offense in New York will actually work.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Ben McAdoo, Football, John Mara, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

8 Responses to “Tom Coughlin Concerned New York Giants’ Offensive Woes in Preseason May Carry Over”

1.  dremac82 says:

I get that they are learning a new offense. But the overall level of play has just been poor. Manning looks like Mark Sanchez out there, our receivers aren’t getting open (Cruz included), the offensive line really isn’t doing that bad of a job but JPP and Kiwi look like very pedestrian out there. I don’t really know what to think. If they are “holding back” some of the playbook, I really don’t think that has much to do with simple execution that the offensive and defensive line is lacking.

I think that some of it is that the team has an attitude problem. They lack a certain fire … a hunger. They’re just not a very motivated bunch. Call it laziness … or complacency. But they don’t seem to have the aggression and competitiveness of the top squads.

3.  James Stoll says:

I don’t know what the problem is but I keep reading posters saying the offensive line is not playing that poorly, I wonder what they are seeing that I am not
    by my count, the giants first team offense ran 1 series against Buffalo’s 1′s, 3 series against Pittsburgh’s 1′s, and three series against Indy’s 1′s
    other than the single break-away run by Jennings agaisnt the Steelers, all of their runs have been 3 yards or less; Eli has been sacked 3x, fumbled once, and threw 1 pick that was nulified by a penalty.
    Overall, 6 points on 7 drives, less than 100 yards total offense, with 73 coming on one play, and no first downs not resulting from a penalty.

There have been absolutely no holes for the
    RBs; Eli is under constant pressure.

The first offensive unit has done little better against the opposing teams’ second stringers.

Exactly what are people using as their measuring stick when they say the O-Line isn’t playing that poorly?

Well, I watched a tape of the game. Pretty distressing. But I said weeks ago that no one should be surprised if it took until October for the new offense to start to kick in and that it might take until November, or even next season. It’s inevitable with a new offensive system, especially one that has rarely yet allowed the quarterback to go with his best skills (the medium and long balls) and away from his shortcomings (which have always been the short throws). I said that my hope was that the defense and special teams would carry them meanwhile and that they’d need to focus hard on the running game, which should be strong as long as defenses are kept reasonably honest.

But no one knows when, or if, this scheme will kick in. No one knows yet if our personnel is good enough. We’ll all start finding out soon. I’m not about to panic over preseason issues. I’ll worry about this stuff if it’s going on three weeks into the season.

I would make three moves:

1) Move Schwartz to right guard;

2) Move Richburg to left guard; and

3) Allocate more in-season snaps to Moore and a few less to Kiwi, Ayers and JPP (the latter more for motivation than anything else…that guy needs to get mad).

Schwartz looked a bit better, but his natural position is still on the right. Richburg is a superior talent who has to play. Mosley is pretty good, but Richburg is better and Mosley should become the depth guy, not the other way around.

I’d also play Washington against the Jets at least a little against the starters and let Randle know that his job is on the line, and start emphasizing plays to Beckham in the game plan. Right now there’s no reason for teams to go away from doubling or rolling toward Cruz and while he’s a great one-on-one receiver in the slot, he can’t free himself against two defenders. He’s not big enough to do that. A lot of the success of the passing game this season is going to rest on Beckham’s shoulders. He has to be good enough to get Cruz and Randle/Washington single coverage. If not, the passing game is not going to succeed, regardless of scheme. (By the way, I’m now even more curious to know the real story of Hakeem Nicks’ 2013. It would make a BIG difference if the guy from Saturday night was still on the Giants.).

I think Randle will be okay, but if he cannot get separation better than what he’s shown then he cannot do them a lot of good. Plenty of people at LSU thought Beckham was a better player than Randle even when the younger was being mentored by the older player (who was, himself, thought of as one of the better receivers in the SEC). We’ll soon see.

My last comment, and I know this will be derided: I think they HAVE to roll with Robinson at tight end. He’s going to make mistakes and cause plays to fail, but they have to let the kid play. He’s the most talented of the tight ends they’ve got. He may not be great but they have to let him have the chance to be good. He caught balls that the veterans wouldn’t have and that Donnell has not caught though perhaps he could.

So, essentially, let Robinson play; replace Mosley (who will be quality depth) with Richburg and move Schwartz to the right side; get more snaps for Moore; and be patient. That’s all I got.

•  James Stoll says:

I don’t disagree with any of this, especially the observation that it may take until next season to see progress.
      My only point of disagreement is with Randal. To my eyes, he’s simply one of those college athletes who can’t transition to the pros. He makes the occaisonal play but that’s it. I put Jernigan in that boat as well.
      If I had the wand, I’d cut them both and go with Washington, Harris, Parker and Harvin, the latter of whom has made some pretty nice catches in scrub-time

As for Robinson, that second catch he made the other night was a really nice one and we discussed it yesterday. Still, the guy looks fat and slow. hard to get behind him. Frankly, the TD pass Davis caught from Painter made him look like the more nifty receiving TE.

I agree that the running game should be emphasized, but wioth a line that is not opening a single hole it is hard to see how you do that. Tough to run on 2d and 9, 3d and 7.

As for the defense, I am going to assume Prince is healthy by Week 1 and Beason returns healthy and is Beason. That will make us a solid — not great — but solid defense.

But without a great defense and scoring potential out of the special teams, this is a 2 to 3 win team this season. the offense looks that bad.
      Maybe it turns on a dime against Detroit, but it is going to have to, because with the offense as it looks right5 now, you can’t win games.

•  jdimauro36 says:

To say we are only going to win 2-3 games i think is honestly a very ignorant statement. I understand the offense doesn’t look good but it looked awful last year and we won 7 games. I think we all need to relax and stop freaking out. This offense is not going to be perfect out of the gate, The defense, I think, is good enough to carry us for a few weeks until everyone gets on the same page.

As for TE , at this point i dont think it matters who we choose at No. 1 TE because they are all going to give similar production.

5.  William says:

We all love the TE catching balls but to me the key for this team is the guy who can block. We should have enough talent at the WR (cross ur fingers on the new #1 pick) that a TE who can just catch a short seam pass should do fine. The important issue is can he block and help out the running game and give aide to Beatty when he is overmatched by a stud rusher.