August 18th, 2014 at 5:00 PM
By Doug Rush

The New York Giants unfortunately may not see starting linebacker Jon Beason for the rest of the preseason; as he is not expected to play for the team when they face off against the New York Jets this weekend and it's unlikely right now that they would then turn around from that game and use him in their preseason finale against the New England Patriots.

However, despite the fact that the team's starting middle linebacker will not see the field this summer, he's been feeling much better after suffering a ligament tear in his foot during OTA's back in June; an injury that didn't require surgery but just rest and rehab. Beason has been testing the foot by pushing off the foot and cutting with it and having no reported pain in it, another great sign. Beason said he's ready for the next steps and feels close to returning for the team.

“I feel like I’m really close, but I have to go out and do it," Beason said Monday. “I want to test it, that’s gonna kinda confirm it for me.We’re going through the progression, so today should be pretty aggressive getting after it and doing some things based off of reaction as opposed to anticipation, which is what we do on defense."

Beason was perhaps the key factor in the Giants second-half turnaround after he was acquired from the Carolina Panthers for a seventh-round draft pick this past October; as he recorded 93 of his 104 total tackles and one interception with the Giants and was rewarded with a three-year, $19 million deal after injuries has plagued him through the last couple of years during Carolina and lead to the trade to New Jersey.

While Beason has been out, the Giants for the time being have slid Jameel McClain over to the middle linebacker spot which has allowed rookie Devon Kennard to start the preseason on the outside and could end up becoming a starter for Week 1 if his strong play continues.

Beason said that it would have been nice to play in at least one of the team's preseason games before the regular season started, but ultimately, he said the goal is getting himself back onto the field for the team's opener against the Detroit Lions and feels like he wouldn't need much practice for him to get into game preparation.

“Going into it, to have the opportunity to play in the last couple of games was really a goal," Beason said. “That’s really not my decision. They might say: ‘Hey, it’s not worth risking it to go out and play versus the Jets or go out and play versus the Patriots.’ But you’ve had the opportunity, that’s great. Or to be working back in practice that’s really good, really promising for the opener against the Lions. I don’t know if I need the practice.

It’s good to kind of spin the wheels a little bit and get out there and get oiled up. I would love to have a full training camp and four dress rehearsals or five dress rehearsals, but unfortunately that’s not going to be the case. Either way I expect to go out and be myself and play well and help my team win.’’

One of the things Beason has done in the meantime to help take pressure off the foot is wearing a different sized cleat, going up from his normal 12.5 to a size 13. While it would be great to get Beason some practice reps against live competition, his presence in the regular season is what will count the most and if the Giants defense wants to continue the strong play that allowed them to finish eighth overall in 2013, Beason will be needed healthy in 2014.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Devon Kennard, Football, Jameel McClain, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL

Short URL:

28 Responses to “Jon Beason Feels ‘Really Close’ to Returning for New York Giants; Unlikely to Play in Preseason”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

Keep him sidelined. He’ll be big factor for us on defense.

•  rlhjr says:

Agreed, don’t let him conn you into playing early. I would keep him out until game three just to be sure he’s healed.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

Tom Coughlin says Odell Beckham Jr. is “fine” despite him apparently suffering a leg injury and missing the remainder of practice. Guess we’ll see tomorrow when practice starts.

great.

Okay, did you all see that Richburg is now playing LG with the ones? I’m surprised Schwartz wasn’t moved over to play RG but the film may indicate that Mosley was doing well (my first impression was that he was pretty decent and getting better each game, and as most of you know, I really like him as an NFL guard who will be a tough kid who mauls people but has to prove he can get out to the second level of the defense to pick off a linebacker). In any case, this was a move that I completely endorse. Richburg looks VERY good and they need to play the kid.

So there’s an adjustment made after film analysis that should help. If things stay this way the Giants have put together a young offensive line (to probably be added to via drafting in April) that can build something together and looks at least as talented to me as the one that grew into a strong force by 2006-2008.

Call that looking at the glass half-full if you like. I like the taste of what’s in there.

I suspect that increasing Moore’s snaps is coming too. Once that’s done, and with the addition of Beason, the Giants’ play in the trenches should look pretty good (Yes, based upon what I’ve seen I think Richburg is a difference-maker). As I’ve always advocated, that’s the way you build a champion (along with your quarterback).

The receivers still need to be addressed and sorted out, but the process is starting. Let’s see what transpires over the next month before everyone just caves in and accepts the prospect of an awful season. Cynicism is easy. It’s the protection available to those who want to prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised and happy if they’re wrong. But despite the protestations of Jim, BBG, and skinny (all of whom make some really good points), this season is FAR from over. In fact, it hasn’t even started. Fancy that. We’re 0-0 and have three weeks to prepare for the Lions; we have a top quarterback (he didn’t forget how to play folks); we have a strong defense that probably cannot be run against easily, which will allow Fewell to take chances he hasn’t in the past; we have strong special teams; and we have some real talent at the skill positions (perhaps excepting tight end) that has not yet been particularly effective except for the running backs. There’s hope. I wouldn’t start waving the white flag just yet if I were any of you.

•  skinnydoogan says:

FF, as you know I hold you in high regard, but please don’t misrepresent what I have said, I have far from given up, I have made just as many positive points as I have made negative ones. The previous thread I made some positive points that got ridiculed, which I really don’t care by the way, so not everything I say is negative. I just refuse to believe that Robinson is anything but bad, and I am a little concerned that this coaching staff continues to insist on putting players in the wrong position on the field, thereby setting them up for failure. I don’t agree with everything JS says, the Giants according to him are one giant joke. He makes some hard to refute points, but the total all in negativity seems to be part of his schtick.

4.  rlhjr says:

One thing about Beckum’s stats that was not mentioned. That is his QB had an awful lot to do with his production as far as catching passes was concerned.
    And that would be especially true in big games.

I’d like to check the QB stats in big games. Also, did Beckum return punts in any of the big games where his receiving stats were sub par? And how did he do?
    The proper usage for Beckum is the same manner in which Philly used D-JAX.
    Screens, deep outs, end round’s, and pressure punt and returns. If Beckum is a player he gives you multiple usage options.

That said, the only thing we really know about Beckum is he’s truly fast and is an excellent open field runner. If he does pan out think Percy Harvin with route running ability. I mean it is a nice thought. And the Giants are not alone in thinking he was worth a first round pick.

If the report from camp is true and they have actually inserted Richburg at left guard, how in the hell can Swartz not go to the right side? Because Mosley is head and shoulders better than Swartz? Jesus H Christ., they only got it half right.
    I still hope my assessment of Swartz was not totally true.

Maybe they come to their senses tomorrow afternoon and put Swartz where he belongs and say hello to the offensive line. Wonder who Swartz pissed off?
    Who knows maybe Mosely IS better than a seasoned Pro Bowl caliber guard.
    The money put into Swartz almost demands that he plays. I think they will put him at his natural position soon. Mosley will provide excellent depth.

5.  skinnydoogan says:

BigBlueGiant says:
    August 18, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    first off, both Cruz and Washington went went to small schools. And produced ALOT in those small schools. That means nothing though.

ODB went to LSU. A Big time program. And shined against smaller schools and seemingly didn’t put up great numbers against the bigger programs. I’m just saying we have no idea what he has to offer. That’s all. Assuming he will be good though, yes.

JPP is the JPP of DE’s.

BBG, I would argue something different, JPP is in fact the Adrien Robinson of DE’s.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

FF55-

Don’t think any of us has given up at all. Just think that we all should be prepared for the worst. The way this team looks to me, is that we’re looking at a top 10 pick as of now.

Eli needs to get his act together, the WR’s need to start getting open, the d-line needs to get to the QB a little more, and we need to start moving the ball EFFECTIVELY on offense if we want to beat any team in this league.

I assume these guys WILL get their act together. I’m just hoping that we’re not 0-6 like we were last year before they start doing so.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah way too early to panic. If we suck in Detroit, then by all means feel free to come on here and declare the season over. But remember, even during Eli’s great 2011, the offense would often look like dog sh#t for the first 3 Q’s only to explode in the 4th. So I wouldn’t panic just yet. But this is a place for venting so if you feel the need, then get it out.

The WR’s not getting separation might be a concern, it’s the primary reason I was fine with letting Nicks walk. But when Eli is at his best he’s a gun slinger who doesn’t worry about squeezing a ball into a tight window. Here’s some examples of Eli when he’s going good. P.S. also to remember what good offensive football looks like. I know it’s been a while since we’ve seen some.

(This last one really highlights what a great possession WR Nicks was because Eli would just throw it up to him when he was covered and #88 would come down with it)

(Just for fun #17′s 2nd best catch as a Giant. Also, everyone should watch all 8 min of this vid so when they get tempted to compare Mike Evans, Barden or any tall WR to Burress, they can instead bite their tongue so they don’t sound like idiots.)

Anyway, I don’t buy this idea that the offense will or should take 2 months to figure out. If Eli is really smarter than Peyton (He’s not, Peyton is the smartest QB ever, I don’t care what compliments he pays little brother), then it should not take him that long to get used to the offense. When Peyton went to Denver they installed a completely new offense, and scored the second most points in football. Playing outdoors in cold weather. Unfair to compare Eli to his brother but, he’s a franchise QB and that label comes with expectations. Sure the OL and WR’s need to gel, but #10 needs to start letting it loose again.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Eli hasn’t been at his best since 2011. 3 years later.

The Denver offense WAS Peyton’s offense. They basically turned the offensive scheme over to him. He didn’t need to learn anything. He’s a smart guy, but learning the Denver offense was like he was going to kindergarten.

Eli will “get” it. The question is whether the receivers will.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Sure Peyton knew it. But he was able to get everyone else on the same page in time for week 1.

I’m not saying the offense needs to be clicking on all cylinders. But a 10 year vet, 2 time SB MVP like Eli should have the offense ready to put up points by week 1. A new offensive system is not a valid excuse once the regular season starts.

I don’t agree. They basically built an offense around Peyton, we are fitting Eli into this offense. It’s similar to Rivers last year. We should be much better than we have seen by week 1 but shouldn’t expect to be in full force.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Fitting Eli in? He’s a f#ck-in-g 10 year vet 2 time Super Bowl MVP making 20 million dollars this year. You guys clearly don’t think Eli is a franchise QB because if you did you would hold him to higher standards. Someone needs to give him a swift kick in his as-$ and tell him to get his sh#t together.

We play Detroit in 3 weeks. A team with a new HC, who we beat less than a year ago. Oh and by the way our HC is a border line HOF and 2 time SB winner. There is no reason that this offense should not be playing at a high level on Monday night in Detroit. If you expect anything less then you need to reevaluate your feelings about Coughlin, Eli, and or Jerry Reese. Stop babying and making excuses for these guys.

8.  Nosh.0 says:

I’m hearing that my JJ will be better than Randle bet may end in a loss pretty soon. According to Paul Dottino the organization is split on JJ and he may be in danger of being cut when the 53 man roster is due.

•  James Stoll says:

How does your bet look if they cut Randal at the same time?

He’s no JJ fan. But I don’t see it and not because JJ is too good but because of MM. MM is playing so bad and others so well I can’t see him on the roster. No if no MM that leaves Cruz, JJ and Randle as the only vets. It’s hard for me to believe that TC would go with 4 very inexperienced players with Cruz and Randle. And Randle isn’t overly experienced himself. Parker is not a rookie but still light on NFL experience.

Could be helpful in keeping some of the young players on our roster. Quarles might be forcing us to make a decision on him. I think he may be hard to keep on PS.

•  Kettles78 says:

I think Quarles will be signed off of the practice squad quick. I want to see more of him and hopefully he can get that great jump at the snap but stop making bonehead plays. He would be good DT depth.

If the young DTs continue to play well I think Patterson is in trouble. Bromley playing well and looking ready to contribute along with Kugn really stepping up have put him in some question.

10.  Kettles78 says:

When do roster cuts start to happen? After this week of games?