Corey Washington Has Already Earned His Way onto New York Giants’ 53-Man Roster

August 18th, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Leading up to Saturday's game against the Indianapolis Colts, several lingering holdouts were not yet convinced that wide receiver Corey Washington had earned himself a spot on the New York Giants' 53-man roster. However, even prior to his third consecutive game-winning touchdown catch, Washington had already done enough to put Big Blue in a very difficult position when it comes to wide receiver depth.

While the "difficult position" is a good problem to have, the reality is the Giants are faced with the following conundrum: place Washington on the 53-man roster or lose him by attempting to stash him on the practice squad.

After lighting up the preseason and performing equally as well in training camp — even when pitted against Big Blue first-team defense — there's next to no chance that another wide receiver-hungry team wouldn't immediately swoop in and snatch him off of the Giants' practice squad. So when the final cutdown day does arrive later this month, General Manager Jerry Reese, head coach Tom Coughlin and other decision-makers will already know that their decision on Washington means he either gets a roster spot or the team loses him outright.

"Again, again, Corey Washington made a heck of a play," Coughlin remarked after Saturday's game, clearing showing his excitement for the young wideout.

So far this preseason, Washington has hauled in seven receptions for 116 yards and an NFL-leading three touchdowns. As noted previously, all three of those touchdowns were also game-winners. And while they did happen against third team defenses and guys who may not even make a roster, Washington came in as an undrafted rookie free agent previously released from another team himself. It's all about making the most of every opportunity and he's certainly done that.

At this point, it's hard to see a scenario that does not involve injury where Washington is left off the 53-man roster.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.

Tags: Corey Washington, Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

45 Responses to “Corey Washington Has Already Earned His Way onto New York Giants’ 53-Man Roster”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

What’s the “difficult position” for the NYG? This guy is our best WR at the moment. I don’t care who’s he’s doing it against. He’s the ONLY WR on this team that’s making plays.

There’s no difficult position here. In fact, give this kid 1st team reps the rest of the way. Bench Randle. Bench JJ. Bench anyone that can’t make a difference. Play anyone that can.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

The difficult position is that a talented WR is going to have to be cut. No matter how pessimistic fans want to be at the moment, Washington’s performance means people like Marcus Harris may have to go. Cruz, Randle, Beckham Jr. are all locks. Reese like Jernigan. That means the Giants will have to release Manningham, Talley and possibly even Harris depending on how things go. So yeah, that’s a difficult position to cut ties with one talented WR to keep another.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

oh, i get it. I just don’t see the “Talented” bunch that everyone else sees.

I don’t see any reason why Washington SHOULDN’T be the #2 or even #1 WR out there right now.

2.  James Stoll says:

the WR cuts could be very interesting
    coming into the preseason everyone had penciled in after Cruz and Beckum, Randal, JJ, MM, with only one spot up for grabs.

Right now it looks like Washington Parker, Harris and maybe Randal.
    Randal probably sticks because of his lofty 2011 draft status, but he does not deserve to be on the team.
    I ax him tomorrow (or August 26th as it were) and give the kid Harvin a shot.

•  Kettles78 says:

I disagree that Randle is a waste. Randle has talent and makes plays. Not consistently enough but he makes plays. I think Cruz and Randle need to step up over these next few weeks

3.  James Stoll says:

Dirt positied the argument last night that perhaps the starting offense looks so bad because each week they try a different piece and not the whole. While I disagree that that is the cause, I don’t disagree that that may be the approach. That is, emphasize one aspect in one game, another in the next, etc.
    Assuming that to be the case, the Jets game should be an attempt to insert and run the whole enchilada.
    If it makes a difference in terms of productivity, Dirt will be incorigible

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i thought the same thing. But, nah. This team sucks.

•  Fars says:

While this migth be a possibility, it can’t explain everything.

If you just concentrate on medium to long passes it migth result in fewer (none?) methodical drives downfield.

But why don’t they open up holes while run blocking ?
      And why doesn’t Eli look comfortable then ?

There is more to it, than just concentrating on fewer aspects during teh games.

Reagring Eli:
      No Eli bashing from me, but it does seem that he is hurrying the ball. He isn’t stepping into the throws but throws off balance. And I am not talking about his accuracy on short throws. (this is a different discussion).
      Eli clearly is not comfortable, has happy feet and throws off balance.
      I think, that’s what 2 seasons behind lousy OLs do to you … just ask Carr.

Right now I think it’s very simple. Ranlde, Cruz, ODB, JJ, Washington and Harris. With Parker have a chance too. But you can’t keep all you guys. Our only real vet is Cruz with Randle and JJ have some experience as well. I think you have to keep JJ or MM and MM hasn’t done anything worth keeping as of yet. Parker has value because of his PR skills but I think ODB will end up as our PR.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

or keep Two TE’s. Have Rhino play the other TE in a 2 TE set. Keep an extra WR.

This WR core sucks.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Pretty much true. Randle even looked lost during the handshakes at the end of the game on Saturday night.

•  James Stoll says:

ODB as PR would run completely counter to TC’s tendencies (starting WideOut doubling as a punt returner)

but you may be right as Beckum likely doesn’t start before week 8 or the season is over (Week 4)

TC is so rookie phobic is likely to keep the 2 veterans (Randal and JJ) even though they both stink to high heaven

Perhaps we should just admit that this is not a supremely talented team. If it weren’t “OUR” team then I think we’d all be a hell of a lot more objective about matters. There are very few bright spots. And certainly no reason to assume that this is a playoff caliber squad.

The only saving grace is that situations change fast in the NFL. A month from now we could be seeing a vastly different product on the field. But what’s out there now is simply pathetic.

Maybe I’m reading into it, but they look tired and passive too. There’s no passion … no anger. Do they even care that they suck?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i’ve came to grips with this a while ago.

I said WR is going to be a glaring hole, and god $hit for it. I said pass rush is going to be a weakness and everyone thought it was going to be improved. O-line still sucks.

Good thing is that the defense should be better with Beason in the middle, McClain back to his regular spot and Kennard at the weak side.

6.  skinnydoogan says:

I need to run this by Dirt for a consultation but perhaps JPP is now the Adrien Robinson of DE’s?

7.  skinnydoogan says:

and BBG, you and I have disagreed in the past, but I am with you, this team is pretty far off being competitive, and that is just reality, not being negative.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

listen, i catch a lot of $hit about people thinking i’m a pessimist. But i’m just a realist. I see it like it is. This team isn’t good at all. And while we might be at some point in the year, This schedule will be too tough for them to overcome. I’m just accepting a bad season. And if we turn it around, AWESOME. 1-2 year away.

And WAIT till the excuses after a 5-11 team and a new coach is installed next season and everyone cries about a new coaching scheme.

It’s the pro’s. These players change schemes all the time. Free year to year, and most guys who switch schemes don’t have too much of a problem. I think we just draft the dumbest players around.

•  James Stoll says:

it is difficult right now to post anything that does not sound negative given what the team is showing us.
      we’ll all get fired up with one last dose of optimism heading into week one, hoping against hope that the team can and will turn on a dime.
      we suffered the near identical preseason last year and got all optimistic for week one against Dallas; then told ourselves we were really good and would have won but got those 6 pesky turnovers; we then got up for Denver and found comfort in the fact that we hung with Peyton for 3 quarters; then camr the Panthers.

This year we have Detroit, Arizona and Houston to start us off. On paper we’ll be able to get up for this. And then we will see.

We have looked bad in some preseasons and been good. Last year we didn’t. But this year is a totally new situation with a new offensive scheme and 6 new starters. There’s reason for pause on judgement. No one is saying wait to week 1 when we will be great on offense. My point is that it will improve and will continue to improve until it will be a good offense at some point.

Last year you can’t forget we had a ton of injuries, an historic amount. Hopefully that won’t be the case this year. Let’s see how we look the first few weeks then y’all can jump off a bridge at that point.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

yes. but guess what? in past preseasons we’ve also looked MUCH better on the 1st team. We’ve moved the ball. We’ve scored. We have 1 offensive TD on 1st teams that came on a HR run due to an all out blitz.

The 2 years, we’ve seen offensive struggles with the 1st team in preseason. And last year, we saw the offensive struggles in the regular season. This year we’re seeing it again, and there seems to be ZERO progress. It’s concerning. And very worrisome.

Goat, just prepare for a bad year man.

•  JT Jumbo says:

Stoll, in the past I have always thought your posts were very negative and not always right. However now lately when I share the same opinions, I don’t really read them as negative but more so as the truth. Pretty much everything you are saying in these posts are the same that I am thinking. Reese is god awful, Randle is horrible, the offense is so bad it wouldn’t work in highschool. Honestly I don’t even think it’s McAdoo at all, the talent is just not there. There is one player besides Eli deserving of a starting job in the NFL on offense and it’s Cruz. And Cruz hasn’t been anything that great either. I don’t think this is a preseason thing, it’s honestly something that is going to make this team pick in the top 10 in April

This team has a lot of talent. the defense is very talented. We do need to provide a better pass rush but I also think this will be a far more aggressive defense than we have seen in long time. With our talent a CB I see us blitzing a lot more. So we will generate pressure one way or another.

I think the OL will be fine once it gets settled. Not great but an average to above average group. Our top 2 RBs are good. Cruz is good. The season will be decided by how well Randle and/or OBD provide a #1 WR type presence.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

our season will be decided by how well Randle/ ODB provide to be a #1 WR presence?

Guy, you’ve lost it.

Neither of these guys will be that guy this year. And that will most certainly be the tell all of our season. Our season will rely on protecting Eli, and our Pass rush. These WR’s have done NOTHING for their own good so far. Randle as a number 1? ODB can’t get on the field. And will be dealing with that hamstring the whole year, you know this.

I’m not conceding this season by any means… But GOAT, Keep it real man. You’re having delusions of grandeur here.

pass rush and QB play will determine our season. Not randle or ODB.

•  skinnydoogan says:

LOL

I’m delusional because I think our 1st round WR draft pick can make an impact? Because I think our 3rd WR whop had 600 yards last year can continue to mature a possibly be a #1 WR presence? Because I think our OL will be fine, the OL that we invested several free agents and a 2nd round pick in? That I believe Eli our franchise QB will play well? That I think it’s too earlier to tell with JPP. Come on.

Our QB can only play well if the WRs get open and draw some coverage away from Cruz. I think our pass rush will not be as big of factor because we will blitz a lot more. Of course it would help but I think with the coverage skills we have now we can create a pass rush through blitzing.

•  James Stoll says:

GOAT

this is one of those assertions I hate: this team has a lot of talent. Really? how so?
      if they are so talented why do they get kicked all over the field?
      is it because we have a terrible coaching staff?
      I can get on board with the latter assertion, because it is the only thing that makes sense to me.
      To put it in mathematical terms a x b = c
      where:
      a = team with a lot of talent
      b = lousy coaching staff
      c = 2-14 season

9.  Kettles78 says:

Is anybody bothered by McAdoo’s playcalling? I mean it is preseason but how are they supposed to get into a rhythem when it is the same issue that Gilbride had. You know when they are going to run and when they are going to pass. The Colts showed that this past game and yet nobody is jumping on McAdoo just yet but the new Oline which should be upgrades over Baas, Deihl, Boothe. Not sure how much of an upgrade Mosley is yet but I think McAdoo needs to get going as well

•  Fars says:

There is still Dirt’s idea of “concentrating on just one aspect” which in the Colts game was “tring to suck” … uhhh I mean “the medium to long passes”.

While this might hold true, it doesn’t explain everything (see my post way above).

•  Kettles78 says:

Well Carl Banks and Antonio Pierce said the same thing when talking on WFAN so its believable, but I would love to know what aspect they are working on each week

10.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Gentleman I would like to start a new thread. It was brought to my attention that Eli has happy feet – looks very tentative and lost in the new offense – and continues to throw high and his short games sucks. For a short game to work you have to have passing lanes — For the ball to be on the numbers you have to have passing lanes – For the quarterback to be less tentative you have to have passing lanes – etc.etc’
    Not only is the OL unable to pass block, they are (to be redundant) unable to open a passing lane for the QB to connect w the receiver much less the “Hot” WR/TE/HB etc.

That is why it is so pitiful. As the offense has proven if you can do neither of these you have (as Sgt. Schults would say) “Nuss ing”