Earlier this year, six people with direct ties to the New York Giants were named to the "50 Most Powerful People in New York Sports" list. It was the first of two annual most powerful/most influential lists, with the second coming by way of The Star-Ledger and the "Most Influential People in New Jersey Sports" list.
Just as they were in the aforementioned "50 Most Powerful People in New York Sports" list, the New York Football Giants were well-represented on the "Most Influential People in New Jersey Sports" list.
Well, say this about the Giants general manager: At least he's dropped the whole Super-Bowl-or-bust thing from a year ago. Starting 0-6 last season will do that to a GM. Reese is in no immediate danger of losing his job, but there have been too many shaky draft classes and free agent busts not to wonder how long his leash is.
The best punchline of the offseason: New Giants offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo wants Manning to shoot for a 70-percent completion rate next season. Uh, Ben? Can he get to 60 first? Manning is still the biggest football star in the city, though, and for that reason he gets a spot on this list. As he goes, so go the Giants.
The Giants coach, who turns 68 later this month, shows no sign of slowing down as he enters his 19th season as an NFL head coach. In case that doesn't sound like a lot, consider: Only 15 men in NFL history have been a head coach for 19 or more seasons, including his mentor – Bill Parcells – who he'll tie this fall.
Mara signed his name to a bunch of checks this offseason, something he promises won't become a regular occurrence. Now, the Giants co-owner – left with egg on his face after declaring last year's team the most talented he had seen before its 0-6 start – will expect a return on his investment. And that means Tom Coughlin and Jerry Reese could be in his crosshairs.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Ben McAdoo, Bill Parcells, Eli Manning, Football, Jerry Reese, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants Well-Represented on List of “50 Most Powerful People in New York Sports”
- CBS Sports Ranks New York Giants QB Eli Manning No. 65 on Top 100 Players List
- New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Named One of Top 25 Active Coaches in All of Sports
- Two New York Giants Doctors Named to Top 28 North American Sports Knee Surgeons of 2014