August 17th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

One-time New York Giants first-round pick, David Wilson, may have seen his NFL career cut short due to multiple neck injuries and genetic spinal stenosis, but that does not necessarily mean his entire athletic career has also gone out the window. And while he can't take the risk of absorbing contact like he would playing professional football, Wilson has no running or jumping restrictions and subsequently believes he can return to the sport of Track and Field.

"I really like broadcasting, but on a different level, I want to compete and go back to track and compete in the triple jump," Wilson told Pro Football Talk. "I was National champion in High School — junior and senior years in doors.

"I think if I really focus, I can compete with the top-tier athletes in that event."

Wilson added that his goal would be to appear in the Olympics, which isn't nearly as far-fetched as some would believe. In fact, shortly after his forced "retirement" from the NFL, Wilson's Virginia Tech track coach, Charles Foster, said he fully expected to not only hear from Wilson, but to see him soon because he's too competitive and too talented to walk away from sports entirely.

"I’ve certainly talked to my colleagues about it," Foster told The Star-Ledger. "He will come here in due time and I’m going to advise him. I’ve been one of his closest associates. I’m going to advise him on his options.

"As far as his jumping ability, he can jump out of a gym. He can jump out of a football stadium. I have a feeling he’s going to come back and talk to me about jumping again."

Despite dabbling in Track and Field as nothing more than a hobby outside of football, Wilson finished sixth nationally in the triple jump and was named an All-American during his senior season — all while participating at his football weight. Needless to say, the naturally athletic Wilson certainly has a chance to excel if he desires to do so. Accordingly, don't let your jaw hit the floor if you see him on the US Olympic Team in the very near future.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

Short URL:

6 Responses to “David Wilson Hoping to Return to Track and Field Following Premature End to NFL Career”

1.  Nosh.0 says:

I didn’t think the OL was that bad last night, certainly better than last year. But Michael C is right, Schwartz should be moved to RG. That’s his position and he’s supposedly out best Guard, so put him there.

I think last years OL scarred Eli. He looks as uncomfortable as I’ve ever seen him in the pocket.

Nothing else to say that hasn’t already been mentioned. Glad David Wilson is giving track a try. Good luck to him.

Think about it … who on this current team would you say would be recognized as one of the Top 10 performers at their position?

Cruz, Rolle, DRC, Schwartz, Beason (if healthy… big IF) … and yeah, Weatherford.

6 guys … and 1 is a punter.

Now what about Bottom 10? I’d bet a lot more.

The point is simply that this team lacks talent. You can’t shine up what isn’t there. The roster is depleted. No amount of scheming and game planning can completely make up for that.

I’m not pointing fingers. But this is not a stacked, talented squad.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

Again it’s preseason so it’s too early to panic, but hopefully this creates some urgency within the team and coaching staff. That was one negative that came from starting 0-2 in 2007 and winning the SB. Every year after if the team started poorly or went on a late season slide the Giants talked about it as par for the course. And we had to listen to that nonsense last year and in 2012 while both seasons were spiraling out of control.

Also I think it’s time now that the Giants pick their 5 starting OL and what positions they will play. I know pre season is a time for trying guys out at different positions, but the QB is obviously uncomfortable back there. And if you want to build some chemistry, now is the time to start doing it.

4.  Kettles78 says:

My thoughts:

Beatty good pass blocking not so good run blocking
    Quarles good pressure up the middle consistently but bonehead plays like hitting the QB when Moore already had him
    No separation from the WR at least the number 1′s
    Want to see Washington earlier in games

Ok thats my brief thoughts for now family time lol

I just watched the game and haven’t red any comments. I’m sure there’s heavy concern about the offense which there should be. However, it’s just going to take time. Our starting OL that just played it’s first game together and also includes 3 new starters. The offense has 6 new starters overall and we are installing a new offense that’s completely different. Our QB has played in the same offense for 10 years and now has played the equivalent for a little over a game in this offense. I hope it happens sooner than late but I can see it might take a while. Watching the backups you see the design of the offense. I think it will work for us but it will just take time.

Nassib should have won the backup job with that rally. Wanting Nassib as our backup is not just disdain for Painter’s lack of ability but I also see skills in Nassib. I think he can be everything we hoped when we drafted him. Washington made the team. Hariss is close too. Manningham is close to gone. Parker is making his case as well. I still like Wynn. Cox looks like a better back than Gaskins to me. Taylor is getting better by the game. Robinson showed that he should be on the roster, I don’t think any other TE on the roster has the ability to make the 2 catches he made. Jackson flashed some skills at CB and I noticed he was first team gunner on special teams so I think he’s in play for a roster spot. I wasn’t impressed by McBride it is his first game back but if that’s what he has then he shouldn’t be on the roster IMO.

6.  michael says:

While I agree that while the offense has to be given more time it is concerning that our backups seem to be getting a better grasp of it then the starters. I know the competition level is different, but it’s backups against backups.
    I can’t see Nassib not making this team. I like Painter, but he’ll still be available halfway through the season if needed, Nassib wouldn’t. Painter is getting reps now so if we have to bring him back he’ll know the offense.
    Eli worries me, Last year we played Minnesota with Josh Freeman starting after a little more then a week with the team, he looked better then Eli has this year. I’m hoping they’re just holding Eli back until the OL gets better, but I would still expect to see better results. When the OL breaks down Eli looks like a slow David Carr out there.