Can the New York Giants finally end their playoff drought with a bit of a re-emergence in 2014? General Manager Jerry Reese certainly thinks so, but he also admits it hinges on two very specific players: quarterback Eli Manning and defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.
"There are two guys on our team that have to play really well and it’s Eli Manning and Jason Pierre-Paul," Reese told Sports Illustrated. "If those guys play well, I think we’ve got a chance to be really good."
Although it seems like Reese is stating the obvious, it is relatively uncharacteristic of him to speak so bluntly. It could indicate that he's beginning to run out of patience or perhaps he's just trying to motivate both Manning and JPP. After all, those two are the most important impact players on offense and defense respectively, and the Giants will only go as far as that duo takes them.
For Manning, he's coming off of a career-worst season in which he led the NFL with 27 interceptions, while JPP is coming off of two consecutive injury-riddled seasons. However, both are confident and healthy entering 2014, and each believe they're going to rebound.
Thus far in the preseason, JPP has certainly looked to be rounding into shape with each passing day. Manning, meanwhile, has been a bit harder to read given that he's learning an entirely new offense with an entirely rebuilt offensive line and all new running backs.
At the end of the day, Reese's comments will reign true. The 2014 New York Giants will only be as good as Manning and Pierre-Paul are.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants’ Eli Manning, Jason Pierre-Paul Heading for Contract Crossroads?
- Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul Says He’s Now 110%, but Admits Contract Status is Weighing on Him
- New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul Among Several Players Who Disagree with NFL’s Top 100 List
- New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul Aiming to Top His 2011 Performance: “I’m Back Now”