New York Giants Dealing with Organizational Split on Jerrel Jernigan: Report

August 16th, 2014 at 7:00 AM

The New York Giants have a number of tough decisions to make as two cutdown days near, and among them is what to do at the wide receiver positional. Initially, the position seemed rather cut and cry, but after the emergence of both Corey Washington and Marcus Harris, coupled with the relatively silence of both Mario Manningham and Jerrel Jernigan, things are no longer so black and white.

While Manningham is still battling to overcome a knee injury that has plagued him for the better part of the past two seasons, the once Tom Coughlin-named "One Play JJ" is struggling in his own right.

When Jernigan was finally given his opportunity at the end of the 2013 season — replacing the injured Victor Cruz — he responded with three consecutive games in which he caught six or more passes for 65 or more yards, including a brilliant performance in Week 17 against the Washington Redskins when he hauled in seven receptions for 90 yards and a touchdown, adding an additional 57 yards and a touchdown on two rushing attempts.

It was the very first time those in the organization who supported him had the opportunity to pat themselves on the back and say "see? the kid just needed a chance." In fact, General Manager Jerry Reese came right out and publicly expressed his displeasure with how long it took Giants coaches to "discover" him.

But here we are in training camp and once again Jernigan is somewhat underperforming, leading to an apparent rift in the organization, reports WFAN's Paul Dottino.

"There's a split in the organization on him," Dottino said. "I would not keep Jerrel Jernigan, I'm sorry. I just don't see enough in him, but there's a split in the organization."

Unfortunately, there were no follow-up questions about Jernigan or who in the organization is split on him, so it ends up being little more than a blanket statement. However, given the way last season ended, it would appear as if Jerry Reese is a Jernigan supporter, while the coaches may not be. Time will tell.

In the end, Jernigan has three remaining preseason games to step up and show the team he's worthy of carrying on their 53-man roster despite the emergence of both Washington and Harris.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Corey Washington, Football, Jerrel Jernigan, Jerry Reese, Marcus Harris, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Victor Cruz

Short URL:

12 Responses to “New York Giants Dealing with Organizational Split on Jerrel Jernigan: Report”

1.  James Stoll says:

Very interesting piece Dan, and one that comports with what we all have been debating. Plenty of voices saying he’s a roster lock; just as many scratching their heads and asking why.
    I was just reading an article on “bubble” guys and he wasn’t on the list at all, which could be read either way.
    I’m in the camp of cut him loose.
    In my view he’s done too little in 3+ years and both Harris and Washington are showing too much promise as receivers, and Parker as a punt returner to keep him.
    I’m guessing the split is between JR and TC, with JR wanting him kept and played, and TC saying enough already.
    It will be interesting to see who wins this battle.
    Dan, do you have a sense within the Giants organization who who wins the battle between the coach who wants to cut and the GM who wants to retain?

2.  James Stoll says:

Some of the things I’ve been reading include:

Gaskins has surpassed Cox on the depth chart and likely ends Cox’s career as a Giant. If true, I’m down with this. I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Gaskins thus far. A big strong body, seems to see the holes, and glides through them. A depth chart of Jennings, Williams, Hillis and Gaskins looks pretty strong

It seems that Robinson continues to be considered the best pure receiver of the TEs, but every other aspect of his game is so inconsistent and slow to develop that his days could be numbered. He is slated to receive 2d half reps tonight.

Nassib is apparently stinking up the joint to the point where the Giants will have to keep 3 QBs if he wants to make the roster. 3rd string reps for him tonight so the reports go.

At least one report is saying Cooper Taylor could be a numbers victim because the brass likes Behre so much That was surprising to me because I keep reading good things about Taylor too. I guess the question is how many Safeties can you keep?

Washington, Harris and Parker all seem to have legit shots at the final 53, and MM has almost no chance

Also, I believe Dennard is getting the start tonight and it is looking like the team is considering going one LB heavy into the regular season until they think Beason is good to go.

3.  James Stoll says:

Although the O-Line can still sink the Giants in 2014, what is really exciting about this team is the sheer number of rookies and 2d year players who look really promising right now.
    In no particular order they include Dennard, Behre, Beckum, Washington, Harris, Williams, Gaskins, Bromley, Hankins, Moore and McManus (although it looks like this last guy could still be cut; it may even be likely). (I left out Pugh and Richburg purposely as the entire o-line is such an enigma right now, but in fairness those 2 guys ought to be added as well)
    That’s a lot of young bodies who, should they stay healthy and continue to develop, one can build a team around. In a year or so, we could be one of the youngest teams in the league with a real shot at being very good. I can’t recall this many first and second year guys with this much potential all at once.
    From the looks of things, all we really still need to be uber-competitive is a LT and maybe a RG, a TE , and maybe a DE.

Problem is, by the time you fill holes others emerge. That’s why it’s a win now league.

I’m not so worried about all those positions as most. I think we have a RG in Mosley and word is that Beatty has been doing very well (though we need to see it). Tight end is clearly an issue and we probably do need another defensive end who can get to the QB unless Ayres is right that he can be that.

But this club should be good once they get the offense learned. That may take a few more months.

I’m starting to think Mario goes on PUP. I hope they don’t just cut him loose. They’d miss him if a few guys go down and they’re too reliant on young receivers.

5.  PittsburghJim says:

Is Trindon Holliday playing tonite? Been waiting on him since we signed him….

Few thoughts:
    * If you’ve watched this team at all, you should realize that Michael Cox is NOT an NFL RB. Needs to go. Hillis, although I love him, is NOT good. Needs to go. Keep Gaskins, who runs hard & has some bang to him. So, Jennings, Andre, Gaskins & Gaskins is PLENTY. Of course, Hyno stays too.

* Jernigan needs to play & produce in next 2 games otherwise its time to say good-bye. Remember even RAMSES had a great game 2 years ago against Carolina. Nuff said.
    Also- remember when Victor came on the scene & was a dynamic 1st down maker? Guess what he was? A slot receiver. He needs to go back to that & create mismatches against slow LBs. Thus, Odell on outsside, Vic inside and Reuben outside again. THAT hurts JJs role, imo.

* As for O-line…whew….tonite is a BIG nite in Will Beatty’s life/career. He HAS to look OK. Imagine that? We’re PRAYING for ‘ok’. If he does, then we have hope.

* BTW – I think this will be a HEAVY running team this year. In spite of all the McAdoo chit chat, our strength, due to the Oline scheme/talent, will be to give Eli some help.

We’ll see….

6.  PittsburghJim says:

Typos & rewrites above….sorry.

As to the split on Jernigan, I don’t think Reese has the clout to overrule Coughlin but the opposite is, I think, true. John Mara can’t deny Coughlin his roster choices and then fire him if they underperform again. And I think Mara is going to be willing to “retire” Tom if they miss the playoffs again. Reese could be on the line too, although I think his last two drafts should make him very secure. If he were available plenty if teams would come calling.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I am pretty sure they are both on the line FF, it is Mara’s team. I think he may have gotten a little complacent after the 2 Lomardy’s, last year woke him up and I believe the myth of the absolute power of both Coughlin and Reese is just that a myth. Pretty sure Mara will be involved in some of these decisions until this ship is righted. Both Reese and Coughlin are Uber stubborn in different ways, but I think we all see evidence this is changing.