By now, you've all heard of the Ice Bucket Challenge that has swept across social media over the last week to bring awareness and donations to ALS; also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.
What started out as a 29-year-old guy from Massachusetts currently battling ALS who decided to challenge his former Boston College baseball teammates has now swept the country and has gone from regular people on social media doing it to celebrities (Jimmy Fallon, Justin Timberlake) and politicians (Chris Christie, Corey Booker) and now, professional athletes and organizations are taking part and donating.
New York Giants co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch have both done it, as have fellow players Victor Cruz, Mark Herzlich, Andre Williams and Mathias Kiwanuka. On Thursday, it was a few other Giants turn to take the Ice Bucket Challenge as Eli Manning, head coach Tom Coughlin and Jerry Reese all took the challenge after the final day of training camp concluded; another version of the video can be seen from Giants.com.
Manning was challenged by a fan named Steve Broas who is currently battling ALS himself, and he challenged former Giants Shaun O'Hara and David Diehl. Coughlin, who was challenged by NBC's Bruce Beck and also remembered a friend who battled ALS for seven years, challenged Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley, Denver Broncos head coach and former Giants defensive coordinator John Fox and Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith. Reese, who was challenged by Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith, challenged current Carolina Panthers general manager and former Giants executive Dave Gettleman (who also said some people on the Giants want him to wear a speedo while completing the challenge) and also challenged his daughter, Jasmyne.
Kiwanuka and Zak DeOssie were the ones to take the buckets of ice water and dump them onto Reese, Coughlin and Manning.
For those who want to help contribute to the cause and donate, you can follow the link to the ALS website.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Ice Bucket Challenge, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin
- Giants’ Eli Manning Has Resumed Running; May Return Sooner than Jerry Reese Expects
- Giants’ Eli Manning Likely Out Until Training Camp; Jerry Reese Expects Bounce-Back Year
- New York Giants’ Jerry Reese Expects Eli Manning to Bounce Back and Return to Pro Bowl Form
- New York Giants’ Jerry Reese: We Did Our Homework on John Jerry Before Signing Him
- New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese: “The Jury is Still Out on Chris Snee”