Despite returning to practice this week for the first time since battling a nagging hamstring injury that kept him out for the better part of three weeks, fans of the New York Giants will have to wait at least a week to see the debut of Odell Beckham, Jr.
Giants head coach Tom Coughlin announced on Thursday that the rookie wide receiver won't play on Saturday in their third preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts, as per Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News.
Odell Beckham will not play Saturday, in Indy. "Not enough work (yet)," Coughlin said. They expect he'll play next week vs. Jets.— Ralph Vacchiano (@RVacchianoNYDN) August 14, 2014
It makes sense for the Giants to be cautious with their first round pick from LSU, as they saw Hakeem Nicks battle injuries over the last two seasons that saw him go from being a top-flight playmaker into a shell of what he once was before Super Bowl XLVI.
Even though he won't be playing in the game on Saturday, Beckham started to show glimpses during practice of what he's capable of with his tremendous athletic ability. Beckham also made waves this past week when he said the Giants offense would be one of the very best in the NFL during the 2014 season.
So while we all continue to wait and see Eli Manning's possible new favorite weapon on the field, it'll have to wait at least one more week; maybe for their fourth game of the preseason at MetLife Stadium against the New York Jets.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Football, Indianapolis Colts, Jr., New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham, Tom Coughlin
- Will Beatty, Trumaine McBride to Play for New York Giants on Saturday Vs. Indianapolis Colts
- Vontae Davis, LaRon Landry Expected to Play for Indianapolis Colts on Saturday Vs. New York Giants
- Indianapolis Colts’ Ahmad Bradshaw Ready to Test Neck; Could Play Against New York Giants