New York Giants’ Mario Manningham Trying to Move on from Super Bowl XLVI Catch

August 14th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

There are certainly worse things you could be remembered for — ask any Star Trek actor or actress — but New York Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham is tired of hearing about his catch in Super Bowl XLVI. Rather, the veteran receiver is just focused on healing up, making plays and giving himself a chance to make Big Blue's 53-man roster — something that has become all the more difficult due to the emergence of both Corey Washington and Marcus Harris.

"It’s a new season, man. It’s been a new season for about two or three seasons now so I’m not really," Manningham said. "I remember it but I don’t think about it. I’m just trying to make some more plays."

Of course, the biggest factor for Manningham would be a full return to health. However, a couple years removed from ACL surgery and he's still not yet 100 percent. And although he expects to be for the start of the 2014 regular season, it may not be in time to save his job.

"I’m doing good, I’m going good. Every day it’s getting better. I’m doing good," Manningham said. "I’m comfortable. I’m real confident in sticking my foot in the ground and going out there and just not thinking about it."

There have been some moments in both practice and games where Manningham looked like the Super Mario of old, but more often than not, that hasn't been the case. Unfortunately, that hasn't gone unnoticed by head coach Tom Coughlin, who sounded somewhat disappointed in Manningham's progress on Wednesday.

"That is not an easy one. Some days it is better than others," Coughlin said when asked about Manningham's progress. "I think he is growing in some confidence, but we have been at this for a while and would certainly like to see him at his very best over a period of time so we can assess what we could expect. He is working at it, he’s working hard, but certainly I think there can be more."

Manningham has only three remaining preseason games to turn his fortunes back around and will really need to put on a show in each. Washington and Harris continue to perform at a high level in both practice and games, and have each received first team reps over the veteran receiver and Super Bowl champion.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Corey Washington, Football, Marcus Harris, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

19 Responses to “New York Giants’ Mario Manningham Trying to Move on from Super Bowl XLVI Catch”

1.  Dirt says:

LOL Star Trek hater

2.  turkish says:

“EAST RUTHERFORD — The Giants training camp practice on Wednesday looked very much like it has for the better part of the past four weeks. The defense dominated. The quarterbacks struggled.

Just how bad? It was my intention coming into the practice to see if my eyes were deceiving me for most of the past few weeks. So I decided to chart every pass thrown by a Giants quarterback in live 11-on-11 drills.

It wasn’t pretty at the start. They began with five straight incompletions, including two interceptions. Quarterback Eli Manning completed only one of his first seven passes.”

•  turkish says:

Not looking good boys and girls.

•  James Stoll says:

yeah
      I’m reading the same stuff
      in the wake of the second half of 2012 and all of 2013, it certainly is unsettling to hear things look so bad right now, especially at the QB position.
      hopefully things will start to improve over the next couple of weeks
      hopefully the o-line will at least allow our run game to be a positive factor

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

As we used to say in Brooklyn in the late 40s and early 50s “The Dodgers will win next year. I Hope!

The 2 INTs were both Painter

3.  turkish says:

I believe today is the last day that practice is open to the public. I’m hoping most of the offense/scheme hasn’t been on display so far in camp/games. This passing attack is scary bad right now.

4.  skinnydoogan says:

For anyone who lives in the North Jersey area, there is a good article about Devon Kennard in the Bergen Record. Too early to tell, but we may have struck gold with this guy.

Manningham is in deep trouble. Maybe he was underrated for what he did as #82 but #86 can’t rest on what #82 did. The last time Manning was even healthy was almost 2 years ago. So far he doesn’t look like the same player and I don’t think we can have the belief that the old Manningham is there, he’s just rusty. So if we judge him on what we see today he’s currently #8 in our WR mix. However, I do agree that we will definitely keep at least 1 WR between Jernigan and Manningham. The issue that Manningham faces against even Jernigan is his recent play has been better and at this juncture could provide more upside. So assuming Jernigan is on the team which I think most of us do then that leaves 2 spots open with 4 main candidates of Washington, Harris, Parker and Manningham. The consensus is building even from players is that Washington will make this team. He makes NFL plays in practice and games. He might have to work on some consistencies but it’s clear that Washington is a guy that can help us this year. Washington’s presence hurts Manningham in that he’s other outside WR besides Randle and ODB which is one of the attributes Manningham provides. So if Washington is our 5th WR then that leaves Manningham in a battle for the last WR spot. Now Manningham is more accomplished and probably has more upside this year than either Harris or Parker. But when you’re a backup WR you need to provide something on special teams. Both Parker and Harris provide that whereas Manningham doesn’t.

My conclusion is that if Manningham is in the 6th WR range he’s in deep trouble because of his lack of special teams. He really needs to beat out Jernigan or Washington. At this point because of the dimensions Washington provides physically I don’t think Manningham has a chance of over taking him. Basically, Manningham’s shot at the roster comes down to outplaying Jernigan which is not impossible but Jernigan has been very solid an looks tough for this version of Manningham to beat out.

•  James Stoll says:

as I look at the position, and what I read, I think there are 3 locks: Beckum, Cruz, Randal (and Randal better man-up this year or he’ll be on the bubble next).
      all of the remaining candidates can easily be cut. but of the group, Washington looks to be the next best bet. Aside from what you noted above he’s got size. He really could be that elusive end-zone fade threat we’ve been looking for since Plax assasinated himself.
      After that, Harris, to me, looks easily as good as Jernigan or MM at this point in his career.
      I am personally not sold on Jernigan. This is his 4th season. He can’t return punts, at least not well; and he’s never done anything in meaningful games. He’s just a guy and likely will forever be so.
      MM is damaged goods He always suffered in the route running category and in the concentration category, but he had those electric feet. Now what you read is that he looks slow and has no explosiveness. The latter is what made him him.
      And then you have Parker getting all those PR opportunities.
      I thought after the first game they would put someone entirely new back there, but when they did not, it said to me they are really gicing this kid a chance.

My final 6, if only 6 there be, are : Cruz, Beckum, Randal, Washington, Harris, Parker.

•  James Stoll says:

having said that, we all know how JJ hates to admit he blew another draft pick
        that is likely JJ’s only chance to make the team — JR’s ego

•  BigBlueGiant says:

JJ should make this team. But I agree, I’m not sold on him either, and have been one of his biggest haters on this site.

As for GOAT’s comments about Corey Washington showing more consistency, well, He’s been BY FAR the most consistent WR we have on this roster so far in 2014. There’s no question about it. He’s the ONLY WR that we all hear about making plays, and scoring TD’s in practice and in games. Can’t get more consistent than that. The other guys we hear about are riding the bikes on the sidelines or just not proving their worth.

I said that WR might be an issue on this team, and I still think it is. I got laughed at and called crazy. I like the core of WR’s that we have, just don’t think they’re anything special.

All I know is that these guys better start getting this offense down fast, because our schedule isn’t easy. And we can’t bury ourselves like we did last year.

6.  rlhjr says:

I agree with you GOAT. As much as I love Mario, he is in the fight of his life.
    The issue is not so much his recovery. It is I believe his lack of special team prowess that might be the deciding factor. If the Giants don’t keep him I think Carolina will jump all over him.

And Doogan, as far as Kennard is concerned, I see this kid is cut different from the other young linebackers the Giants have drafted in recent years.
    Watching him there is not a feeling of awe or this being too big for him.

Greg Jones had the same feel. However, Jones lacked something in the physical arena. Perhaps it was strength, speed or maybe quickness not sure which or maybe all. But Jones just could not get where he needed to be in time enough to make a play. Yet in school Greg Jones was ultra-productive.

But what Jones shares with Kennard is the attitude that he can handle the situation. That just like speed cannot be taught. For lack of better explanation I call it the “IT” factor. This kid walks the walk.

Now all the Giants Training Camp HOF jokes aside, Kennard possesses the versatility and willingness to be better than average. He’s smart, has good size and plays with a physical edge. I will stick my neck out and call him a lock to make the team and contribute on defense. Fewell could not have asked for a better “JOKER” linebacker/pass rusher. Hell he might even be a SAM backer and a backup DE. He is proof of the law of averages and a very much needed breath of fresh air at the linebacker position.

The thing I like best about him is lack of self-hype. He seems to be quietly confident yet humble. Very Jauquain Williams like. But don’t get it twisted, this kid is out there to make plays and bring pain while doing so. Kennard is a really physical nasty hitter. He has two really good mentors in McClain and Beason to look to. But all n all, I think the Giants hit the jackpot with this kid.

•  James Stoll says:

the LBr position is really shaping up into something
      the defense does seem poised to be a very solid unit this season

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

I guess we could be like the ’63 Giants. Let the defense win the game and not give it away on offense. Would have worked against the Bears in the championship game – if Allie Sherman hadn’t insisted on having YA (Who had a concussion at the time) throw the ball we would have beaten their a$$.

7.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Just an aside: Do not panic. Remember how bad we looked on ’08 when we put in the new defense. Lost the first two games and won the SB. We are building for the next 4 years not just this year. Unfortunately we N. Yorkers want everything now. Think of how many times you have failed trying to get where you are now. It is only through failure that we grow through hard work and innovation. And I believe we are going to see a lot of failure the first 3 or 4 games. And a huge amt of running w play action arbeit speeded up (I hope)