New York Giants safety Antrel Rolle has been a part of a lot of talented secondaries throughout his NFL career, but perhaps none any as deep as what Big Blue will sport in 2014. But with a multitude of new faces, depth and talent won't matter if the group isn't able to gel both on and off the field. Luckily however, Rolle says the transition has been surprisingly easy and that the entirety of the group has not only come together quicker than anticipated, but has gelled "excellently."
"I think so far, so good. I think we’ve been gelling excellently. Not just good, but excellent," Rolle said. "As a defensive back unit, I think our chemistry is definitely where it needs to be and it’s going to continue to rise. We’re friends on and off the field, which is always something you need when you’re dealing with people on an everyday basis. We all love each other and we all play for one another. More importantly, we all understand what we have at task right now, which is to go out there and see the ball and get the ball."
Continuity on and off the field isn't the only thing that has Rolle thinking optimistically, as the arrival of Walter Thurmond III signaled the official end to his position shifting. For only the second time since signing with the Giants in 2010, the veteran is not expected to see any time at nickel corner or any position other than safety.
"Since I’ve been here, I’ve had to roll down and play the nickel pretty much every year, I think outside of my first year. I think we have guys in place that can go," Rolle said. "If we want to run three safeties, we can play three safeties. If we need to play a nickel corner or dime, we have the guys to do so. Trumaine McBride, you have Zack Bowman, you have Charles James, all those guys are willing to step up and we don’t expect any letdown once those guys are in the game because they’re phenomenal corners."
Of course, the Giants also have two extremely talented starting outside cornerbacks in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Prince Amukamara, so it's easy to see why Rolle is so stoked for what this group could possibly be come the regular season.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Antrel Rolle, Charles James, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Trumaine McBride, Walter Thurmond, Zack Bowman
- Antrel Rolle Looking to ‘Go Out with a Bang’ If 2014 is Final Season with New York Giants
- Antrel Rolle Believes 2014 New York Giants are “Most Talented Team” He’s Ever Been On
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle No. 72 on NFL Network’s Top 100 Players of 2014
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: Defense Will not Need Simplification Again in 2014
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Challenges Dominique-Rodgers Cromartie to Become Best CB in NFL