Antrel Rolle Has High Hopes for New York Giants Secondary in 2014

August 14th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

New York Giants safety Antrel Rolle has been a part of a lot of talented secondaries throughout his NFL career, but perhaps none any as deep as what Big Blue will sport in 2014. But with a multitude of new faces, depth and talent won't matter if the group isn't able to gel both on and off the field. Luckily however, Rolle says the transition has been surprisingly easy and that the entirety of the group has not only come together quicker than anticipated, but has gelled "excellently."

"I think so far, so good. I think we’ve been gelling excellently. Not just good, but excellent," Rolle said. "As a defensive back unit, I think our chemistry is definitely where it needs to be and it’s going to continue to rise. We’re friends on and off the field, which is always something you need when you’re dealing with people on an everyday basis. We all love each other and we all play for one another. More importantly, we all understand what we have at task right now, which is to go out there and see the ball and get the ball."

Continuity on and off the field isn't the only thing that has Rolle thinking optimistically, as the arrival of Walter Thurmond III signaled the official end to his position shifting. For only the second time since signing with the Giants in 2010, the veteran is not expected to see any time at nickel corner or any position other than safety.

"Since I’ve been here, I’ve had to roll down and play the nickel pretty much every year, I think outside of my first year. I think we have guys in place that can go," Rolle said. "If we want to run three safeties, we can play three safeties. If we need to play a nickel corner or dime, we have the guys to do so. Trumaine McBride, you have Zack Bowman, you have Charles James, all those guys are willing to step up and we don’t expect any letdown once those guys are in the game because they’re phenomenal corners."

Of course, the Giants also have two extremely talented starting outside cornerbacks in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Prince Amukamara, so it's easy to see why Rolle is so stoked for what this group could possibly be come the regular season.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Antrel Rolle, Charles James, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Trumaine McBride, Walter Thurmond, Zack Bowman

Short URL:

16 Responses to “Antrel Rolle Has High Hopes for New York Giants Secondary in 2014”

1.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

I hope he is right because field position will be the name of our game. Whenever we start within our own 20 that is pretty much where we will punt from.

•  James Stoll says:

hopefully things won’t be that bad
      but if the offense ends up resembling last season, no matter how the defense plays, a lot of short fields means at leas a lot of FGs

2.  Kettles78 says:

I think this is the most athletic & talented secondary the Giants have had that I can remember since starting to watch football. Now if they can really lock people down that remains to be seen but they certainly have ball hawks, speed, and overall talent back there.

Looking forward to it

3.  ERICHONIUS says:

skinnydoogan says:
    August 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM
    Doom-mongering? because the TE’s stink?

skinnydoogan says:
    August 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    Erichonius, nice job refuting my argument, I have nothing right now….

GOAT56 says:
    August 13, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    Because you think because the TEs are good enough our season is over. Or at least by your posts that’s the way you make it seem. It’s really been over discussed considering how much they will likely be used. It would be nice if there was more progress at this point but it’s not nearly as important as you and some others think. I sighted to use of the TEs in the GB offense as reference.

@skinnydoogan
    I must apologize. I was unable to respond as I was busy at work. Thankfully, GOAT pretty much summed up my feelings. I say doom-mongering because you tend to have negative outlooks on this team and you are always predicting bad years for the giants. I just wanted to point out how your premise, that GOAT doesn’t know how important the TE’s will be, is symmetrical; and as such undermines your argument as well as his. I meant no offense.
    As far as the TE’s, IMO if this team sucks this season it will be because of the Oline NOT the TE’s. I believe that regardless we will be much improved this season (as compared to last season). I believe we will win the division. After that you never know.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Last year was a very negative year all around, I made no effort to hide my displeasure. I have to however disagree this year I am singing a much different tune, I am just not happy with what has happened to our TE position, it seems it has been allowed to “putrify” as the O-line did the last few years. I actually have high hopes for this team this year.

4.  rlhjr says:

Quoting from the article:

“If we need to play a nickel corner or dime, we have the guys to do so. Trumaine McBride, you have Zack Bowman, you have Charles James”.

Pretty sure outside of safety Trell just named the remainder of the secondary.

G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight, once we were blessed with FF55 and Norm on a regular basis. I am glad you are part of us now.

The one thing some of us are indeed missing is Reese and company are attempting to rebuild on the fly. The trouble is it is going on three years now.

Unlike the 90′s Steelers who built a roster deep enough to allow them to “reload” vice rebuild the Giants pick their spots to surge based on talent they have accumlated. I really want them to start altering the profile they use to select players and adjust it more toward talent.

Brains and talent are of course perfered and are always in vouge.
    But in this league you either have the talent or you are an also ran. All teams need leaders and character players. No team takes a Lombardi without talent.
    Football is by in large played by large, strong, fast men, with nasty attitudes.

BBG – I too believed depth at WR could be a problem before training camp especially if Manningham didn’t recover. Manningham has yet to recover to his old form but shockingly I feel really good about the WRs. Washington and Harris have provided a young unexpected spark that’s out of nowhere. Washington probably won’t be a huge player for us but I think he’s the type that can have like 400 yards and 5-6 TDs. He really fills a need with not just his size but his ability to fight for the ball as a big WR that our group needed. Harris is not a superstar but a nice all around WR who won’t hurt you if needed, kind of like a young Hixon. Those 2 at our 5th and 6th WRs makes me feel a ton better. Also both help on special teams.

Also to some people’s surprise and maybe displeasure the more I read the feeling I get is ODB will be our PR. Only Parker is getting significant game reps there but I think the coaches like Harris even more than Washington because of the time he gets into the game. So I see Parker making the team over Washington or Harris just to be a PR as a stretch. I think we have just been waiting for ODB to get healthy. And the fail safe guy is Randle, who no one wants to see back there again.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Either these guys just don’t know the system yet or whether it be something else. but The 1st team WR’s are just not getting open. Cruz have a catch yet? Randle has what? 2?

Randle played his first game last game. The first team couldn’t run offense because Brown couldn’t block.

6.  rlhjr says:

The tight end thing has been causing many a disagreement here. So I’ll put my neck on the chopping block too.

It seems to me that McAdoo will have enough smarts to work around what he has at tight end. It is also clear that one of both of Hynuski and Conner will be kept because the Giants need running game and short yardage/goal line pop.

Quite simply the tight ends do not possess the ability to hit a moving target when blocking for the run. They are used to taking on oncoming linemen very much like offensive tackles and guards do. That is via a point stance and being mostly stationary with their feet moving/driving.

They are not used to hitting people on the run in a hole or on the second level. That’s a skill problem. And it not easily acquired at this point in a players career.

The blueprint for McAdoo’s tight end is simple list of must haves;
    Coachable:
    Good Hands:
    Agility:
    Size: 250-260
    Speed: 4.5 / 4.7 40YD
    Mentally/Physically Tough: “Gronk” “Unicorn”
    Blocking Ability: Like a Fullback

In other words a special athlete is required. Not many to be found who are big and strong enough to be a stand out blocker. That is a tall order that you don’t fill with waiver wire signings. You have to go and draft that type of talent. Then you have to mold it. But natural ability is required. That’s why I always refer to Charles Way. He’d have been perfect. So would Bavaro or Shockey.
    Right now the kid Erits comes to mind. Even the kid the Jets drafted Amaro would work. Even though he’s a major league $7!+ head.

Still you have to think that McAdoo did not have all his eggs in the TE basket. You have to think there is a plan in the event tight end talent does not come on the way the offensive coaching staff wants it to. I do have faith in McAdoo.
    Based on the selection of running plays I’ve seen clearly this offense will be a handful for defenses once the players grasp it. I don’t know what the give up play will be, but it won’t be a shotgun draw.

My main worries with the offense line play are the drive they have coming off the ball on running plays. The ability to run effective screen plays. Eli’s comfort with THROWING screen/touch passes. Pass protection from Eli’s blind side and the timing between Eli and his primary receivers.

Those things and especially improvement at left tackle position will take time. In the case of left tackle, it may even take until the next draft. Hopefully we are prepared for that eventuality. And by “we” I mean this site and Blue fans in general. This offense is not going to be all sunshine and roses.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Yep, agreed. I decided to take a break from TE’s didn’t want to get burned at the stake again today.

The defense will be awesome IF we can generate a rush. Directly proportional.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Yup! Yup! Yup! Run Run Run -Screen Screen – End Around Pass off the Run – pitch out – and let D do the rest. As long as we do it well who cares if they know we are going to do it. (See Lombardi i.e. HB Sweep Use a lineman or FB instead of a TE) NOOOOOOOO Turnovers!!!!!!!