August 13th, 2014 at 3:00 PM
By Doug Rush

In two preseason games, the New York Giants are 2-0 and have score 37 points, but people are already worried if the offense will suffer the same setbacks as last year even under a new system.

Long gone is Kevin Gilbride and his rather "outdated" offensive system and in is new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo with the West Coast offense and, thus far, it's been a process for the Giants players to get accustomed to it (although the running game has been solid in two games.)

On Wednesday, McAdoo spoke about the team and the offense needing to take a "leap of faith" and learn to trust their instincts as football players because they have the talent and skills necessary to thrive and succeed in the new offense.

“We need to take that leap of faith," said new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo. “We need to play fast, we need to trust our instincts. It’s a game of anticipation and [you have to] believe in your teammates. If you don’t do that, we’re not going to grow. You can’t be afraid to make mistakes."

McAdoo said that he's been reading all of the stories in the newspapers about the team having "miscommunication problems," but ultimately, McAdoo said it's just a matter of getting their timing down, which they're trying to do in both practice and in preseason games.

“We talked about seeing some things for the first time and how we need to get on the same page moving forward," McAdoo said. “I love the dramatic miscommunication articles out there, but it’s more timing issues. We’re on the same page on what we were going to do and when it was going to happen. … When you see certain looks for the first time, it’s going to be a challenge.’’

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin shared McAdoo's sentiments about taking that leap of faith and said that the players need to find that trust in one another to move forward and make the offense work.

“You have to believe in what you do. You have to believe in the people around you,’’ Coughlin said. “Once you do that and have some time to work together, then you expect to make progress.”

The offense will get its third crack at trying to put it all together this coming Saturday night when they square off against the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium.

photo credit: Football Schedule via photopin cc

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Ben McAdoo, Football, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

12 Responses to “New York Giants’ Ben McAdoo: Offense Needs to Take ‘Leap of Faith,’ Trust Their Instincts”

Sounds like the coaches are pleading for the players to buy in. And McAdoo says “Don’t be afraid to make mistakes” but this is a Tom Coughlin team on which making mistakes gets you benched and quite possibly cut. I think this is beginning to sound like a problem. I’ve always insisted that it will take some time to make this offense work. I’ve been hoping for October but also saying it could be as late as Thanksgiving (or even 2015). I said a few weeks ago that the season probably hinges on the defense and special teams playing very well right out of the gate and making great use of the run game (where I think we have two, or more, very good backs plus a very good fullback) mixed with just enough in the passing game to stay within shouting distance of the Eagles and possibly even the Redskins. Then we have to hope the passing game kicks in and this team can get it together down the stretch and get into the playoffs and go from there.

The coaches are probably insisting the team move faster in making the offense work. But I think it’s a process that will take more time than we have before that first game in Detroit. I hope to be very pleasantly surprised, but I will remain skeptical until shown otherwise.

2.  James Stoll says:

after years of cramming to get an A on Gilbrides 1000 route multiple choice exams, now they have to take a leap of faith?

sheesh

3.  bpan says:

I’m sure no one wants to take a leap of faith more than Eli Manning. But with this Oline that is still going backwards with penalties and sacks, he knows full well that trusting these knuckleheads could get his head ripped off. I don’t think Reese and or Marc Ross fixed the problem. It’s going to be very ugly. Really hope to be shocked.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the progress on the offensive line….eventually.

I have to say that all of those writing off Mario Manningham and slotting Harris in as a roster winner are, IMO, WAY premature.

It looks like Washington is halfway to writing his ticket onto the team, and will join Cruz, Randle, and Beckham. Since I expect them to use plenty of spread formations I also expect them to carry six wide receivers. That means there are two spots left to fill. I think the front-runners have to be considered Jernigan and Manningham (who should get better as time goes on and his knee becomes a non-issue), in part because they have experience and in part because given the assumption that Washington makes it the team would already have their two “big” receivers in Randle and Washington so would need guys who are quick and can get yards after the catch, which both veterans can do. In addition, Harris could be placed on the practice squad. To be honest, it would seem to me that the real competition should come down to Parker versus Jernigan. I’d keep Manningham and expect him to contribute and make some plays for me.

But who knows? I think Manningham has been one of the most underrated members of this team the entire time he was here, by both the coaches and the fans.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Because he ran angled go routes on the right side. Left no space along the sideline.

•  James Stoll says:

I always liked MM and thought if nothing else, once the ball was in his hands, there were few receivers better at running with the ball.
        That said, I’m only repeating what I’m reading from beat writers who say he has slipped down the depth chart, is dropping everything in site in practice, and is getting only late and then very little playing time in preseason games.

Maybe fondness for 2011 is enough to get him over the top — he has at least until 8-26 to show he deserves a spot, but I wouldn’t count on it.

As for JJ, I still think he’s on the bubble. The kid has never done anything in meaningful games.
        And as much as we all may have hated Gilbride and applauded Mara’s end of season comments, Gilbride may not have been wrong on everything.

But the next 2 weeks will tell.

Harris looked really sharp in the first game; nothing in the second.

And then there’s Parker and all those punt return opportunities…..

•  Kettles78 says:

If Manningham is healthy you may be right. But calling others “thoughts” premature is a bit strange being that what you said a few days ago I think it was that Hankins is going to be just as good if not better then Joseph. Forget the exact wording.

Just breaking chops here. Super Mario needs that Knee to be healthy. If it is I think he has a good shot

You got me! But what I mean by premature in this case is that Mario has been brought into the practices and games slowly, so hasn’t yet been able to do a lot. I think once he gets more reps he should do pretty well. But we’ll see.

What I’ve seen from Hankins is that he’s MUCH quicker than Joseph so at his size he should prove strong enough (even if he falls short of Joseph’s strength) to more than reproduce what Linval gave us.

•  Nosh.0 says:

55-
          Manningham hasn’t shown anything since 2011.That’s why no one is excited about him. That’s an eternity in the NFL. I think if you want 2011 Mario type production the best bet to do that this year is Jernigan.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i wouldn’t invest too highly in JJ. I think Corey Washington might produce more than him.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

I think Eli needs to take a leap of faith with his right arm again. When he was at his best he wasn’t afraid to fire the ball into tight windows and trusted his WR’s to win jump balls. For whatever reason he’s been gun shy these past 2 years. I don’t know if he’s lost confidence in himself, his OL, his WR’s, or all of the above. But #10 needs to get back to the passer he was. Where you knew if he had 3-4 seconds he was completing the pass. Now not so much. Maybe this latest rap commercial helped him regain some of his swagger.