August 11th, 2014 at 3:00 PM
By Doug Rush

On Sunday, the speculation of the New York Giants being interested in San Francisco 49ers guard Alex Boone started up, especially since he is holding out with hopes of a new contract.

That interest, which had been considered only speculated on Sunday, has now been somewhat confirmed by Jason Cole of Bleacher Report. Cole reported that the Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the two teams he saw that could have the most interest and might offer a third-round pick for him.

With the retirement of Chris Snee and no set player at right guard (Brandon Mosley has been starting at right guard in the preseason thus far), it would make sense for the Giants to be interested in adding a top-notch offensive lineman to plug into a unit that struggled to the point where the line needed major revamping and an overhaul.

The Giants added Geoff Schwartz, Charles Brown, J.D. Walton and John Jerry through free agency and drafted Weston Richburg to help out the likes of Mosley, Will Beatty and Justin Pugh, but after two preseason games, fans are already suspicious of the offensive line, so a trade for Boone could ease those suspicions.

Aside from the Giants, Cole mentioned that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers could be another team that might be able to offer the 49ers a third pick as well for him, as could '5-6 other teams' in need of strong offensive line help, as Cole put it on Monday.

There was some difference of opinion on the idea of the Giants trading for Boone because of the salary cap issue, as Art Stapleton of the Bergen Record felt a trade was unlikely due to the cap.

Pat Traina of Inside Football though, differed with Stapleton and felt that a trade could happen since the Giants have roughly around $8.523 million in salary cap space.

The one thing that everyone has to remember is that a trade won't happen unless Boone is guaranteed to get a new deal and will not play unless that changes; hence why he's currently sitting out for the 49ers right now. Even if the Giants sent San Francisco a third round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, Boone's not going to be happy if he's still on his old deal, which is $2 million for 2014 and $2 million for 2015.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Alex Boone, Brandon Mosley, Charles Brown, Chris Snee, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Weston Richburg, Will Beatty

Short URL:

49 Responses to “New York Giants ‘May Be Interested’ in 49ers’ Alex Boone; Could Offer 3rd Round Pick: Report”

1.  James Stoll says:

whatever happened to “love of the game”?

2.  NC Giant says:

who is putting together the G101 fantasy league? I would love to play again if there is an open slot. mattbracciante AT gmail DOT com

HOF weekend was incredible…I recommend any of you try to make the trip sometime. Great events, amazing access to players, very laid back atmosphere. The Hall itself was great too…the busts were simply incredible!

3.  ERICHONIUS says:

how does the money work with snee retiring? Did we get his salary back? is that included in the $8.523M?

•  Krow says:

$nee still tops the team in 2014 dead money. $4,550,000. So even in official retirement (he retired on the field 2 years ago) he’s still a cap killer. However it seems we’re out from under him after this year. The bad news is that the other looter … Baas … also skims off $3,225,000 … and sadly steals the same amount next year too.

Those two contracts have done an amazing amount of harm to the team, and are instrumental in the departures of quality free agents. At least in the Baas case they thought he could play. But $nee I believe was given millions in free money based on his relationship to Coughlin. That’s really inexcusable.

4.  ERICHONIUS says:

The Archer pass play in the Pittsburgh game was a cute little play. I believe there was a fake/option bubble screen to the right, which pulled our linebackers out of position, this gave Archer room to run across the field and up the right sideline. I would like to see some clever plays like that out of our offense.

5.  skinnydoogan says:

That’s great other than the fact the Boone is a guard and we need a tackle. Oh, wait, we have Brewer I stand corrected.

I think we need to have some context with these TEs. Donnell was a college QB. Then we changed offenses and there’s much more movement in this offense from the TEs. This is Donnell’s 3rd year, it’s not the make or break as much as some think. Same with Robinson. Though the issue with Robinson is there’s not really been improvement. in knowing his assignments.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Folk’s, that’s a wrap, Donnell and Robinson are good tight ends.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Based on what standards I am not sure, but they are good.

•  James Stoll says:

GOAT

I think what most of us see are slow lumbering bodies that make us wistful for Boss and Ballard, let alone Shockey
          Despite JR’s draft day comment, I’ve seen no evidence that Robinson is uber-athletic; in fact he looks a tad hefty and very slow
          Donnell is a catch and fall guy

•  BigBlueGiant says:

agreed. I have not seen the athleticism in Robinson that has been described.

I don’t know what people see because clearly Ballard and Pascoe where less athletic than this group. Boss was a decent athlete. These guys Especially Robinson are not comfortable in the offense so they are on the football fiend thinking instead of reacting. It’s the opposite effect of what makes a good athlete like Ray Lewis seem great because he’s sees stuff so fast he plays faster than his natural speed indicates.

Donnell is a pretty good athlete and Robinson is an excellent athlete for a TE. But Robinson doesn’t know what he’s doing so he’s moving in slow motion.

•  James Stoll says:

again, I hear you, I just don’t know what evidence you have to support
              how do you know he doesn’t know this offense?
              did he know the last one?
              maybe he’ll never know
              but given that he’s moving in slow motion, what is the superior athleticism of which you speak?
              size?
              weight?
              strength?
              measured speed or agility?
              I’m not busting; I just can’t see it

His combine measurables. Even if Robinson can’t play and gained some weight he’s much more athletic than he’s looked. When you play football timid and thinking you don’t look like the athlete you are. I have seen signs past preseasons but not so far this preseason. He’s running 5-10 yards patterns not at full speed.

We have the cap room but it’s bad business to trade 3rd round picks for a near 30 year old vet who you have to pay too.

I think Beatty will be fine but Brown is extremely shaky even as a backup. I heard Levi Brown was available. I would think about someone like him to replace Brown. Because right now if Beatty has a setback we have to move Pugh to LT. I thought Brown would be adequate enough but he’s not.

•  ERICHONIUS says:

I agree about Boone. It seems like Mosley has taken some steps toward developing into a decent starter. Bringing in Boone is a expensive move that displaces a solid younger, cheaper option.

•  James Stoll says:

plus, haven’t we seen this movie before?
        SF no longer wants one of its supposedly very good linemen; the giants sign him and the guy is never healthy or good again

8.  BigBlueGiant says:

REPOST;
    fanfor55years says:
    August 11, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Okay, well there’s this. JPP probably played the equivalent of about a quarter’s worth of snaps on Saturday, almost all of them against the starting offensive line of the Steelers (which is, by the way, considered by most observers to be now a strength of that team, at least according to the numerous Steelers’ fans who were sitting near me and had tickets that they had bought on-line at deep discounts in order to see their team play the Giants).

He had at least two hurries and one-and-a-half quarterback hits. Had he played the equivalent of a game I’m pretty certain he’d have had a sack, another 2 hits and a few more hurries. Run that out for a season and it’s 16 sacks, 32 hits and probably 30 or more hurries. He let a runner get outside him on one play and he couldn’t seal off or catch Dri Archer (who runs a 4.28 forty). Otherwise he did fine against the run.

I’ll take that play from all of our defensive ends quite happily. I’m not saying he was spectacular, but he was good. And I saw enough to assume that he will have a good season. Perhaps not 2011-like (he will be doubled more than was the case that season), but certainly good.
    —-

Steelers O-line is NOT a strength of their team by any means. They were decent at best last year. and fell off once they lost Pouncey.

•  James Stoll says:

like FF, I have a work colleague who is a die-hard Pittsburgh fan and says the O-Line is much better this year

but if that is true, that only says to me when we play really good teams we get handled more easily than by bad teams
      and while the same can be said of anyone, I hate hearing the excuse that the reason we looked so bad at any point in time is become we played someone really good — translation — we are not really good

Pitt invested a ton of draft picks into the OL the last 4 years and this is the year they expect to start to see the fruits of their investments.

Just repeating what some seemingly knowledgeable fans said is the case. They apparently added a number of players, as many as did we. And they said early assessments out of their camp was that the O-line was solid. The one thing I can absolutely state based upon observation is that they are huge.

We’ll just have to see about JPP, but I feel pretty good about him.

* Insert “It’s way early yet” disclaimer here *

I’m starting to worry a bit about McAdoo and the new offense. Yes, we’re way over due for a change. I totally support this hire and this direction. But the team isn’t showing any signs of life. They’re not looking smooth or confident. And if the rumors are true that his scheme funnels through the TE then look out cause we don’t have one of those.

•  ERICHONIUS says:

Actually, considering the new emphasis on the 5-yard rule, I fear that the change in our offensive philosophy from the deep routes of the Run-and-Gun to the short routes of the west-coast offense is ill-timed. I do realize, given the suspect nature of our Oline, that the west coast’s short routes will help keep Eli off his back. However, I do not trivialize the familiarity that Eli had with the old offense, and the likely growing pains that we will face as the offense grasps the new offense. Then you consider how ANY contact down the field is a penalty against the defense… and how we historically were one of the better teams at converting deep passes…

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

Get this trade done. Boone was solidify the inside of the line.