New York Giants’ Prince Amukamara on Penalty Enforcement: We Have to Adapt

August 10th, 2014 at 3:00 PM
By Doug Rush

Last night during the New York Giants 20-16 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers at MetLife Stadium, there was a ton of yellow flags being thrown in the air; mostly on the Giants side of things, which certainly could not have set well with Tom Coughlin.

Overall, there was a total of 15 penalties called between the Giants and Steelers; 10 of which were called on the Giants for a total of 109 yards. Most of those 10 were against the secondary and part of it was due to the rule enforcement of a defensive player not putting their hands on a receiver after the five yard mark on a route. In the past, a cornerback may have gotten away with the six or even seven yard mark unless they made it blatantly obvious, but not this season, as the officials are starting to call everything, and thus, why you saw the Giants players get called on a frequent basis.

Following the victory on Saturday night, Prince Amukamara talked about the rule enforcement and how the players will need to make the necessary adjustments going forward to prevent another injury-filled performance like the one they had against the Steelers.

"It’s tough. Last year they allowed the corners to have that healthy five. So six or maybe seven, depending on who you are, you can get away with just touching the guy. Now it’s strict like hands-off, do not touch the receiver after five yards. It’s just something that us DBs are going to have to get used to and be more aggressive within the five yards.  I think you just have to adapt as the years go and as the rules change because if you don’t, you’re going to get flagged. That’s one thing our coaches don’t like is penalties."

Amukamara was also asked after the game if it's possible in the NFL today to even cover a receiver without making any contact at all in which, he talked about what makes the cornerback position one of the toughest to play in his eyes.

"I’m trying to think how the guys did it before me like Deion [Sanders] and them. They were able to beat the receiver down the field a little bit. I think it is. It’s more the receiver has more of the advantage where they can chip and push a little bit like the one with me and Antonio [Brown]. I’m going to have to watch it on film but I thought he gave me a little shove because I kept flying by. It is tough but that’s why cornerback is one of the hardest positions in the NFL."

The Giants will have a week to try and work on not getting as many penalties called against them before they take on the Indianapolis Colts in their third preseason game at Lucas Oil Stadium next Saturday.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Football, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Colts, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Prince Amukamara, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

28 Responses to “New York Giants’ Prince Amukamara on Penalty Enforcement: We Have to Adapt”

1.  kujo says:

Finally watched the game. A lot to like, but still a whole lot to dislike. Yes, I recognize that our offense is a “work in progress,” but it looks a whole lot like a mess at this point. It made me think of last year’s offense in the preseason, which was so bad that we all kept saying “of COURSE it’ll be better…it HAS to be better.”

And then it wasn’t.

Now, the running game is scores of magnitude better than last year’s, and FF55 is correct in saying that we will likely rely heavily upon this feature, along with our stout defense, in the early part of the season. But it’s hard to feel confident about much more than that with what we’ve seen in the first 2 preseason games.

(As a side note, I think GOAT might need to give his psychiatrist a bonus, because whatever lithium-based uppers he or she is feeding him are working overtime. How you could say that our TEs aren’t “horrific” is absurd, brother. Reese should be on the phone around the league looking for a trade partner. Give up Jernigan…a draft pick…whatever. Because this group is looking like our safeties in 2008-2009. BAAAAD!)

2.  SouthernYank says:

There is no way to make an analysis on our first string offense after this game. Eli threw 2 passes!

3.  SouthernYank says:

Dan and Jen….Thank you so much for keeping this site alive!

You can thank Seattle for this rule.

5.  kujo says:

It’s unbelievable to think that Zak Deossie is Jerry Reese’s best 4th round pick.

2007- Zak Deossie
    2008- Bryan Kehl
    2009- Andre Brown
    2010- Phillip Dillard
    2011- James Brewer
    2012- Adrien Robinson/Brandon Mosley
    2013- Ryan Nassib
    2014- Andre Williams

I mean, look at that list. All taken in the 4th round, none of them all that great, aside from Deossie. Kehl and Dillard suck(ed) a**; Andre Brown’s injuries have prevented him from being anything other than a decent #2 back; Brewer and Robinson are buried on the depth chart, despite opportunities being presented to them to be contributors; and the jury is still out on Mosley and Nassib, although both have shown flashes of potential this preseason.

Looking at these players (and Reese’s history in the 3rd round isn’t all that much better), tell me again why we shouldn’t be looking to trade one of these picks for Bennett or another mid level tight end?

•  James Stoll says:

Wouldn’t Bennett’s salary screw up our salary cap?

•  kujo says:

Concerns about the salary cap and the ways players get paid are powerful agents to the uninitiated… but we are initiated, aren’t we Stoll?

I just hope that our coaches don’t overreact to this 5-yard rule. Then we’ll see the Seattles and San Francisco’s of the league keep violating it knowing the league can’t have four-hour games so the zebras won’t always enforce it while our corners let receivers run free. Frankly, I’ve seen exactly that with holding on the offensive line. JPP will be constantly held while Will Beatty allows someone unimpeded access to Eli.

•  kujo says:

“…Will Beatty **allowed** someone unimpeded access to Eli last year.”

There. Fixed it for you. Now it doesn’t reek of your anti-Beatty sentiments :)

He has to prove he isn’t the complete turd he was in 2013. Word out of camp is hopeful but I have to see it. Until then my prejudice will endure.

•  Dirt says:

@MikePereira: Effect of points of emphasis…51 defensive holds, 24 illegal contact, 11 offensive PI, and 30 illegal hands to the face. Thats in 16 games!

7.  kujo says:

As to the fullbacks, I think the edge has to go to Hynoski as of right now. Both guys are about the same in terms of being lead blockers, but it seems like Hynoski is picking up the playbook quicker and is clearly more of a factor in the passing game than Conner. Yet, Conner has been very effective running the ball in short-yardage situations this preseason.

I still wonder if we’ll keep both of these guys, as both are cheap and bring different strengths to the table. And since our tight ends aren’t…ahem…excelling as blockers as of yet, I don’t see how you’d keep an extra TE when both FBs are flat out better football players.

My son says Graziano has been insisting Mosley looks lousy at practice. I can’t judge that, but he played well last night. And I don’t take anything a journalist says very seriously unless he played in the NFL.

I’m encouraged by Mosley and Richburg. Add then to Pugh and we have at least 60% of our future O-line. And I assume Schwartz will improve over last night, when he was pretty ordinary. Not bad, but nothing special.

•  James Stoll says:

I’m going to take a risk here of getting yelled at and belittled, but you keep saying Mosely played well last night. I’d like to know what you mean by that. Other than the one play, the first three series against Pittsburgh’s 1′s was a disaster. Then against their 2′s we could barely move the ball. So exactly what are you seeing that supports the playing well assertion?

He did a pretty good job moving his man back a step and creating a crease. Not every play, but enough to see he has promise. He showed some ability to move well. And he didn’t get beaten in pass protection except for one play. That’s good enough for me to say he played well. If you’re expecting better against a good defensive line you’re expecting too much.

•  James Stoll says:

Well, at least I know how low your bar is

•  kujo says:

Let’s also remember that this is his 2nd game as a starting right guard in the NFL, during which time he played a little more than a quarter and a half of preseason football. Few players looks like gangbusters in the preseason. It’s about growth, and based on who this player is, the bar for him started off low, and is increasing every time he plays.

Put it this way–he’s been better than 2013 Snee in BOTH preseason games. So that’s an improvement.

Low? Well, if one chooses to deny that the guy on the other side of the line of scrimmage is a professional and is going to win a few of the individual battles then I guess that’s a correct characterization. But when I see a young guy winning about half of his individual matchups in the run game, almost all of them in pass protection, and making a great block that was the key factor in creating a long touchdown run, I think that’s a good night.

I think you’ve fallen prey to the idea that a good football player is one who is great on every play. That is particularly useless as a measure in the trenches, where it just doesn’t happen. I think that’s also one of the issues people around here have with JPP and Kiwi. There is a lack of understanding that if they win the majority of their individual battles in the run game, get 2-3 pressures on the quarterback in a game, and get a sack every other game (with an occasional multi-sack game when against an outmatched offensive tackle), that is a good season for a defensive end. Better than that gets you to the Pro Bowl.

A good corner gives up receptions. He just gives up fewer of them than his peers. A good running back may average 3 yards per carry for much of a game and then break a few runs for 12-15 yards, and occasionally a longer one.

So my bar isn’t low. It’s based upon reality.

Cap money is a lot like natural gas reserves. At any point in time there’s only 10 years worth left. Because they stop looking when they’ve found a decade’s worth. But ever once in a while some does a ‘chicken little’ article on our dwindling supply of natural gas, and how we’re running out.

10.  Nosh.0 says:

Of course people are still crying about our TE’s, like that position even matters.

Since it’s a taboo subject on this site I’ll try to broach the topic carefully. Our Franchise QB, Eli Manning, has not played well since 2011. It’s too early into the 2014 year to have any concerns about him. But, #10 needs to get his mojo back or we’re not going anywhere this season.

I along with many others have made plenty of excuses for him these past 2 years (Bad OL, no running game, Nicks turning into a JAG, Gilbrides offense being stale). But this year he’s got to play like a franchise QB. Some people are always going to make excuses for Eli. I’m not doing that in 2014. #10′s got to show and prove this year.

I absolutely agree. BUT, he needs to have some receivers who actually play decently. Yesterday there really weren’t any. Ignore Cruz because they’re not even targeting him for the few plays in which he participates. But neither Randle nor Jernigan is looking very good in this offense. The tight ends are terrible.

They will have a running game, and the offensive line will be much better than in 2012-2013. So no excuses there. But the receivers have to play football. I cannot wait for Beckham to get on the field because I think he’s going to be pretty special and will give Eli another reliable target besides Cruz. And hey, the way Washington is playing, Rueben Randle had better start playing ball or he could see himself surpassed at some point. He seems lost out there again.

Quarterbacks need at least two quality receivers in order to look good. If he has them, then Eli has to produce. If he doesn’t, then expecting him to produce is going to lead to disappointment.

I think Coughlin is going to have to play the first unit for most of the first half in Indianapolis, and perhaps even longer. These guys look like they have not picked up the offense at all yet. They’d better start finding out if they have a problem and make modifications if necessary before the season starts.