Above all else, the biggest takeaway from the first two games of the preseason for the New York Giants has been health. Although a large number of players have endured injuries during practice and/or sat out against both the Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers, the team has managed to steer clear of on-field injuries for the most part. Unfortunately, fullback John Conner became the sole exception on Saturday night.
On the final offensive play of the game for the Giants (victory formation not withstanding), Conner made helmet-to-helmet contact with a defender and immediately appeared dazed. He made his way off the field and admitted after the game that he was "dinged up."
At the time, Conner was unsure if it would be officially labeled as a concussion, but shortly after postgame interviews, the veteran fullback was sent for tests and went through the full concussion protocol. Results for those tests were not immediately made public.
If Conner did, in fact, suffer a concussion, he will be unable to practice until team doctors clear him using the league-mandated concussion protocol. It would also make Conner the 25th (pending count from other games played on Saturday night) NFL player to suffer a concussion since the start of training camp — a truly staggering figure when you consider how hard the league is trying to crack down on the number of concussions.
Conner is currently involved in a camp battle with Henry Hynoski for the Giants' starting fullback job.
Update: Head coach Tom Coughlin confirmed in a Sunday conference call that Conner was officially diagnosed with a concussion.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Football, John Conner, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers
- New York Giants, Ben McAdoo Will Face Tough Fullback Decision: John Conner or Henry Hynoski?
- New York Giants Blocking Battle: John Conner Vs. Henry Hynoski
- New York Giants’ Will Beatty, Kelcy Quarles Ruled Out Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
- Retired New York Giants Lineman David Diehl: I Played 11 NFL Seasons Without a Concussion
- Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Suffered “Tweaked” Hamstring; Team Unsure When He Can Return