Might New York Giants Try to Pry Alex Boone Away from San Francisco 49ers?

August 10th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

The San Francisco 49ers and offensive lineman Alex Boone are reportedly no closer on a new deal that would end a holdout that dates back to the start of the offseason, and now teams are beginning to prepare potential trade offers. And while the 49ers maintain they have no intention on dealing Boone, he is prepared to stay away from football as long as he needs in order to secure what he feels would be a better contract.

Among the teams already speculated to be a possible trade destination for Boone — assuming, of course, the 49ers cave and actually trade him — are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Giants. However, the speculation surrounding the Giants dates back to when Chris Snee announced his retirement from the NFL, and thus far there's been no public movement to acquire Boone.

The one major hiccup in any potential quest to acquire Boone would be his demands for a new contract — a contract that would require top-end starter money. And with dwindling cap space available, and many pending free agents already on the roster, the Giants may not have what it takes to not only satisfy the 49ers in a trade, but satisfy Boone with a hefty contract.

All of that said, there's no denying the Giants could benefit from a player like Boone. They're in need of nasty, mauling offensive lineman and Boone would certainly fit that bill. He's more than capable of taking over at right guard and could also play right tackle if need be (Justin Pugh is currently holding that position down, however).

At this point, any potential trade with the 49ers is a pipe dream, but as General Manager Jerry Reese says, "never say never."

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Alex Boone, Chris Snee, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers

Short URL:

9 Responses to “Might New York Giants Try to Pry Alex Boone Away from San Francisco 49ers?”

Doubt we can afford him any more than the Whiners can.

2.  Dirt says:

If you can amass quality all the way down the line from RT to LG, then you’re putting Beatty in the best position to succeed. And he needs to be put in the best position to succeed.

I don’t know if there are 4 quality guys to fit the bill on the roster or if Boone can be that 4th guy, but it’s well worth the investigation.

On the plus side, we could win another championship stealing another OL from the Whiners.

I doubt this would happen. One of the reasons I doubt it is because of what I saw last night. Brandon Mosley is going to be good.

I must have seen a different game from some of those who commented. I didn’t stay to the bitter end, but I spent a good deal of my time watching particular players. Here are a few observations:

1) You can stop worrying about JPP. His quick first step is there and had he not been held last night continuously (that officiating group was so awful it was funny) he’d have had some sacks in addition to the hurries he did have (he almost killed Bratkowski on what turned out to be a completed pass);

2) For my money, Richburg is already better than Walton, who isn’t bad himself but just doesn’t seem as strong. This kid is going to anchor that offensive line for a long time. Great draft pick;

3) Pugh is REALLY solid, much improved over last season;

4) Schwartz was a bit disappointing. He didn’t seem at all the dominating force I was expecting, but that may have something to do with the size of the Steelers’ front lines. Those boys are HUGE. Their offensive line was so big it was ridiculous;

5) Thanks to the size of the Steelers’ offensive line they were able to have some success running against our defensive middle, but the defense did not allow the big play (except for that screen play, after which they got pretty stout to force the field goal). I was VERY impressed with Bromley but it was against backups so it’s hard to tell what is true at this point;

6) Rolle, Brown and Taylor look ready for the season. Demps didn’t have to do much, but he was solid too. Those calls against Hosley were garbage. One in particular, that was right in front of me, was really the receiver pushing him off. Like I said, the zebras were beyond terrible. I’m not kidding when I say that entire crew should be retired. One of the back judges, who limped around the field and made some horrible calls because he couldn’t get into position to see what really happened, was particularly awful. As for the corners, in general they did well, although I was a little unhappy with Bowman’s play. He was trailing his receiver on three occasions and on one of them he was badly burned. Poor Charles James may have cost himself a job with that dropped punt. The kid was heartbroken on the sidelines. I think that even if he wasn’t already a lock to make the team (which I believe he was) McBride made it last night even while not playing;

7) The linebackers played pretty well, especially Jacquian Williams;

8) Guess who played pretty well, albeit against backups? James Brewer. yes, really;

9) I don’t know how you keep Washington off the roster at this point. A guy who can be a Red Zone target (as he proved last night with a savvy play….I didn’t see it because I had left but I heard the description of the box-out) and is also catching long passes for touchdowns? He may not be Plax, but perhaps he can get close enough to give them some of that production;

10) I thought Manningham looked like he was starting to get his legs back;

11) You thought this was all Pollyannish, right? Well, I have to say that we may have a decent tight end, but his name isn’t Robinson and it may not even prove to be Donnell either. I thought Donnell looked like he was starting to look like a receiver, but his blocking was pretty poor. Robinson looks SLOW and confused. He couldn’t even get himself open on a little 5-yard outside cut play designed for him to get a first down and Nassib had to throw the ball away. Count me skeptical that either of them is going to turn out that well. I like the two veterans better. This position could prove a problem all season;

12) Charles Brown is just awful. I am not a big fan of Beatty, but boy he’d better get back soon and stay healthy. And the Giants need a better solution backing him up. Brown just is not an answer. He stinks. They ought to be able to find a late cut or a street free agent better than Brown.

That’s enough for now, except to say that the special teams looked pretty darned good, we have two excellent place-kickers, and we have enough potential gunners that it will be hard for anyone to win a job just based upon special teams prowess but two players who really stood out last night on them were Bowman and DeOssie (who made a spectacular play on the one bad punt Weatherford had all night).

4.  skinnydoogan says:

Unlike Stoll I too believe there were many positives: I didn’t think Hosley was that good, but I will defer to FF since he was there and had a better vantage point. Yes Mosley is a keeper, FF is vindicated, I think it was him that opened up the truck sized hole for Jennings. The young DT’s looked real good and mean. I also think FF is right, James muffed himself off the roster, too bad, he will be a quality player for somebody. Our TE situation is DIRE, the young guys in particular are horrible. I said this last night but we may have to go with a reverse of GOAT’s plan and go with no TE’s and 2 FB’s if somebody does not step up. Howard Cross was commenting on it the whole game.

5.  James Stoll says:

I gotta say you guys are tough to debate with
    I’m being excoriated for being uber-pessimistic
    All I said about the O-Line was that other than the singular run by Jennings they got mauled by Pittsburgh’s 1′s and didn’t not look all that great against the 2′s
    Is that wrong?
    The first series was a 3 and out with 2 incompletes. The third series was a sack then a few give up runs from deep in the end zone.
    Eli is out after that and the Offense gets great field position on that punt with the backward bounce and can’t move the ball with our first o-line against their second d-line.
    What am I missing that you guys are seeing that makes me unreasonably negative?

•  James Stoll says:

And that performance made me say it was a work in progress, not that things were hopeless

I didn’t say that. I’m just saying what I saw.

It very much IS a work-in-progress. This offense has a long way to go. But there were some good signs. One I particularly liked was the apparent commitment to the run, which I’ve been saying all along is a big key. I’ve also said I love our running backs and I think they showed a lot last night. Jennings and Williams are blue-chippers, Cox showed some real speed even if not to much effect (hard when running behind lousy backups) and Gaskins had a few nice plays. And perhaps most important, I believe we are building a VERY good right side of the line, particularly if we can get a decent tight end identified. That means we can run right much of the season with some success.

6.  PittsburghJim says:

I think Eli has had 2 maybe 3 drop backs where he looked comfortable & had ‘time’ in last 2 games.
    I’m very concerned….

“We cannot solve our tight end problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Albert Einstein