August 7th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz has played a relatively quiet role thus far in training camp, and he was essentially non-existent in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game against the Buffalo Bills. And, as it turns out, that is by design.

"I’m begging for more reps out here in practice, but coach is kind of pulling me back, just making sure I’m staying healthy and making sure we’re good to go for the rest of preseason and into the regular season," Cruz said on Wednesday.

After suffering a head injury against the Seattle Seahawks in Week 15 of last season and then missing the remainder of the year due to minor knee surgery, the Giants are simply being cautious with their star wideout. And although he currently has a clean bill of health, head coach Tom Coughlin & Co. feel there's no real benefit in putting him in harms way during meaningless games.

"No, not at all," Cruz said when asked if he was being limited for a physical reason. "[Coach] just wants to give younger guys reps and get everybody acclimated. There’s only so many reps to go around so I just know that when I’m in there, I have to make the most of my reps and take it from there."

With much more time to be a spectator, Cruz has had the opportunity to watch some of these "younger guys" and has come away impressed with one in particular: Marcus Harris.

"I think Marcus Harris, from the game he had and streaming into practice, he’s been really taking advantage of his opportunities, couple guys being down and things like that. He’s really coming to the forefront here as a good player. We’ll see how it goes, but he’s definitely one of the guys that’s standing out," Cruz said.

Harris led the Giants with four receptions against the Bills, and promptly followed it up with a series of tremendous training camp practices. Perhaps his most impressive day came on Wednesday night when he caught at least a dozen passes from the team's three quarterbacks, and even took some first-team reps.

It's safe to say we'll see more of Harris on Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers than we will of Victor Cruz.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Football, Marcus Harris, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Victor Cruz

Short URL:

21 Responses to “Victor Cruz is “Begging” for More Reps, but New York Giants Trying to Keep Him Healthy”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    August 7, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    Please. Painter isn’t an NFL QB and should never be our backup QB. Painter should be fine as our backup QB but if for some reason he’s not then we have to get a real backup QB because that QB isn’t Painter. He’s horrible. Maybe my alltime least favorite player because he occupies a roster spot when he’s not of NFL talent.

GOAT56 says:
    August 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    I re-watched the game and to me two players really stood out that no one talked about. Bromely looked really good and #69 the DE from richmond. They dominated the second half and #69 should have had a late TD but could gather a fumble. We are always looking for pass rushers so I would look out for #69 as a possible Ojomo type. Bromley playing well does make me wonder maybe we keep 4 DTs because Bromley is not as far off as I was thinking.

Harris was also better than I first realize. He’s more consistent while Washington provides the wow plays. If Manningham is right I wonder if those 2 can play well enough to force 7 WRs on the roster. Harris has the edge because he’s more trust worthy but Washington makes the type of plays that can make it impossible to keep hi off the roster.

2.  Dirt says:

This so un-Coughlin like. But I sure am 100% behind it. Sit the studs, get the young bucks the reps.

And let’s keep in mind that they start the season with three non-division games, one of which is non-conference. Cruz can work his way into rhythm over the course of those three weeks.

I know Beckham needs the reps, but I’m not that unhappy that he is also avoiding the punishment so far. The three receivers who should be the studs this season (Cruz, Randle and Beckham) are getting plenty of rest, and while they’re doing it they may have discovered a real player in Harris and a possibility in Washington. And Jernigan gets healthy and Manningham gets a bit stronger each week. Suddenly there are seemingly six wide receivers who are legit and one fighting to get there. Most, including me, thought this was a position without much depth. Looks like we were wrong.

One other, negative, comment from my team source: he says that the coaches are a bit worried because Eli is still looking pretty bad on some short throws, especially screens, which is a fundamental part of McAdoo’s offense. They are trying to figure out if the problem is Eli or the backs to whom he’s throwing. Apparently the connections with Hynoski, Conner, Williams, Cox and Hillis have not been particularly good. Only Jennings and he have been able to make it work. Apparently the timing is WAY off with some of the others and a good number of passes are literally hitting the running backs in the back or on the shoulder pads. It sounds to me as if the targets aren’t turning properly into the correct angles at the right time, but they need to get this right and Eli cannot take the approach of “Hey, I’m throwing the ball where it’s designed to be thrown. Those guys need to get it right.” He has to adjust or those plays can easily turn into disasters as the ball bounces off a back’s pads. Remember the first offensive play of 2013? Yeah, that one. We can’t afford to ever see that again.

It’s Eli’s job to get it right. The backs aren’t experts at catching the ball (well, maybe Jennings is, but the rest certainly aren’t) so the quarterback has to make the adjustments. That’s the least we should expect from a veteran like Eli.

•  turkish says:

There is a lack of depth with the retirement of Wilson now for screen backs. This is why I would be interested in a player like Spiller. He’s an explosive screen back. Hillis is a waste of time.

•  Krow says:

The short ball has never been Eli’s strength. Helpful hint: don’t throw thill they turn around.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

We about 8 or 9 practices into an entirely new offense, new players, coaches, verbiage, etc. Patience is a virtue for everyone right now.

4.  rlhjr says:

Agree with krow and have said all along, Eli just is not very good a executing the screen. It’s like he hasn’t the touch required to throw a proper screen pass.

This did not start yesterday. He’s been bad at it since day one.
    He does a good job on fade routes on the goal line……….when he had Plax.
    He’s just better suited to intermeadiate to long range throwing for whatever the reason. Eli is a quick study. Maybe he’s never been pressed to utilize screen passes prior to now.

•  GIANTT says:

I remember wanting Eli to throw short passes and make it easier for the recivers when it looked like the Giants had WR problems but they stuck to the Gilbride formula and Eli rarely threw a pass less than 10 yards . Now , after 10 or 11 years of that system , the complete opposite system is installed . Im with Benton , patience please and let Eli get used to throwing these short passes and the backs and TEs get used to catching them .This will definitely take a while , maybe most of the season but I think the defense is good enough to keep the Giants in games while the kinks are sorted out .

5.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Interesting. Why does Jennings turn around in time while the other lump heads get banged in the crown. Same QB, Same Play Same Ball. All McAdoo plays are timed routes and releases. As I wrote before. RB set angle – run – count – turn – catch- run. They are thinking like RBs not as receivers. By the time some of these lumpheads turn around Eli could be laying on the ground in a real game.

6.  Since 1963 says:

To anyone who thinks Jennings “may” be a good receiver: Last season, he was one of two backs in the NFL to catch every catchable ball thrown his way. The other was Darren Sproles.

•  GIANTT says:

No comments but I just wanted to feel younger while I see G fan and since 1963 post . Boy do I feel like a kid again (of course , except for the gout etc )

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Hey G. Don’t forget 55 posts too. Ref: Gout Have had it constantly last 10 yrs. Knees hands elbows feat ankles etc walking w cane.. Should have named myself Indocin”R” Us //Went to gout Dr. (They exist) Three courses of Prednisone, Lots of water, (Quinine water) and Uloric. 3 wks w/o attack. Some times I forget I have feet. Uric acid level dropping from 10.4. Walking up and down stairs normally. Hell! I feel 60 again.

•  Fran2Eli says:

Count me in too. I watched Fran in Yankee Stadium as a young teen and before that had an aunt get for me YA’s autograph when he was at Mount St. Vincent’s Hospital emergency room after a game. She was his nurse.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Remember Fran getting clobbered by Big Daddy Libscomb. Story is Big Daddy said to Fran as he laid on top of him. “Little man why do you run so much” Fran weakly replied “Sorry”

7.  ERICHONIUS says:

From what I have read Marvin Austin is doing well with the broncos. Played with the first team in Tuesdays preseason game.

•  Krow says:

He had talent. It would be quite the kick to the head if he turned into a player after we wasted a #2 on him.

•  skinnydoogan says:

He will flame out soon enough.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Had the body and the reactions- missing muscle between his ears. Zone blocking confused him. And when a guard pulled he just stood there like a “Shadrool”.

•  rlhjr says:

Austin started to wake up toward the end. But Patterson just flat outplayed him and that was that. I don’t wish him any ill. You never know, he could be some other teams Patterson on day.

I do think he is injury prone.