In addition to linebacker Jon Beason, who is currently on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, head coach Tom Coughlin says the Giants will also be without rookie defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles. However, the good news for Quarles is that what appeared to be a serious ankle injury turned out to be nothing more than a sprain after x-rays came back negative on Wednesday night.
"He's got an ankle sprain, so he won't play in [Saturday's] game," Coughlin said.
Coughlin also announced that left tackle Will Beatty (leg) will be held out of Saturday's preseason game. Beatty had previously missed the Hall of Fame Game against the Buffalo Bills, though Coughlin said that was planned in advance.
"No, he's not going to play. He'll play the following week," Coughlin said. "This week they're going to hold him [out]."
Meanwhile, there was good news on several other players, including guard Geoff Schwartz, who will return to field after missing Wednesday's practice with a minor knee injury. Coughlin also noted that the aforementioned Jon Beason (foot) has resumed running on grass and is progressing.
Finally, Coughlin expressed continued encouragement by what he's seen from rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (hamstring) of late, saying he's getting closer and closer day by day.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Football, Geoff Schwartz, Jon Beason, Kelcy Quarles, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tom Coughlin, Will Beatty
- New York Giants DT Kelcy Quarles Carted Out of Wednesday Practice with Leg Injury
- Did New York Giants Get a Steal in UDFA Kelcy Quarles?
- New York Giants Friday Morning Storylines: Kelcy Quarles May Become a Popular Name
- 12 New York Giants Miss Trip to Canton, Ruled Out Against Buffalo Bills
- Giants’ Will Beatty ‘Ahead of Schedule’ from Broken Leg; Unsure of Timetable on Return