New York Giants’ Will Beatty, Kelcy Quarles Ruled Out Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

August 7th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

The New York Giants will take on the Pittsburgh Steelers in their second preseason game this coming Saturday night, and already a number of players have been ruled out.

In addition to linebacker Jon Beason, who is currently on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, head coach Tom Coughlin says the Giants will also be without rookie defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles. However, the good news for Quarles is that what appeared to be a serious ankle injury turned out to be nothing more than a sprain after x-rays came back negative on Wednesday night.

"He's got an ankle sprain, so he won't play in [Saturday's] game," Coughlin said.

Coughlin also announced that left tackle Will Beatty (leg) will be held out of Saturday's preseason game. Beatty had previously missed the Hall of Fame Game against the Buffalo Bills, though Coughlin said that was planned in advance.

"No, he's not going to play. He'll play the following week," Coughlin said. "This week they're going to hold him [out]."

Meanwhile, there was good news on several other players, including guard Geoff Schwartz, who will return to field after missing Wednesday's practice with a minor knee injury. Coughlin also noted that the aforementioned Jon Beason (foot) has resumed running on grass and is progressing.

Finally, Coughlin expressed continued encouragement by what he's seen from rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (hamstring) of late, saying he's getting closer and closer day by day.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Football, Geoff Schwartz, Jon Beason, Kelcy Quarles, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tom Coughlin, Will Beatty

Short URL:

33 Responses to “New York Giants’ Will Beatty, Kelcy Quarles Ruled Out Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers”

1.  GmenMania says:

Is ODB ruled out for Saturday? Would like to see him play but obviously it’s more important to get him back to 100% for the regular season.

Doubt he’ll play. Another week of limited practice and he should be close to ready. The kid is going to make a difference this season. Don’t take any unnecessary risk.

2.  rlhjr says:

Austin started to wake up toward the end. But Patterson just flat outplayed him and that was that. I don’t wish him any ill. You never know, he could be some other teams Patterson on day. I do think Austin is injury prone.

I respect McBride and recognized his contribution. I do recal indicating as much.
    I think McBride displayed good return capability as well. I do however feel that James is the best of the rest. Bowman will stay due to dual specialties.

James reminds me of Mark Collins. He looks able to play both zone and press (due to physicality) coverage. He’s an excellent (IMHO) return man.
    But more than anything, he is quick, he reacts to the ball instantly and he’ll knock the crap out people and love every minute of it.

I think it wise to keep Hosley due to potencial and cost. But not by much.

Yes, but………

You’re basically saying you like them all. So do I. But there’s only so many spots on the roster. That’s why it’s a very hard decision. It sounds like you would keep James and Bowman and drop McBride. That’s probably GOAT’s position too.

I don’t agree, even though I’d be okay with that decision.

The weird thing is that it’s entirely possible that Hosley will prove to be the best of the bunch even though he appears to be the worst right now.

Any buzz on Beatty?

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Yeah! We are going to put a line through his name and permanently rule him out – give him $200 and tell him to permanently pass “GO” on his way out of the parking lot. I believe he owes a a refund from last year. Sucker was so bad we could’t trade him for a 7th round draft choice. But what is interesting, after he stopped practicing against a speed rusher like Osi and a well JPP he fell apart in real games.

4.  BigBlueGiant says:

I dont like this about Beatty. Big guy like that will constantly have trouble with his leg.

Also…. i doubt ODB will play until week 2.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Yes and keeping people off of Eli, also seems to be a problem.

Nothing is wrong with Beatty or McBride they are just being really careful. We have an extra preseason game so they still have plenty of time to get some game action in before the season starts. They both have been practicing.

ODB sounds like he will start practicing early next week with the strides he’s making.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

keep thinking that. I think there’s clearly something wrong.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Of course there is something wrong, he is our first round pick (I think J Jones has VooDoo dolls made up of all our players), nothing else could explain our injuries unless God is a Cowboy fan. Nahh! It’s JJones in league w the devil.

5.  rlhjr says:

I will love seeing Williams run the ball vs, the Steelers who pride themselves on being physical. I would also like to see Cox behind a professional offensive line.

While some think he did not distinguish himself last week, I think he did really well to get the yards he had. The set of o-line players he ran behind at best only got in the way of Bills DL/LB’s. He did a hell of a job.
    With Hillis injured, perhaps I’ll get to see Cox with an equal chance to shine.

Williams if not sometime this year, certianly next will be the starter.
    You can just see it when he plants and turns it up. No second guessing.
    And he’s not shy of linemen or linebackers. Defensive backs are meat.
    A thinking mans Brandon Jacobs. BJack thought he was a tail back.
    Williams is under no such persumtion. But Williams is by no means slow.
    He can be used on the edge too. Kid is nasty.

F55 -

I’m suggesting that keeping 10 DBs is all but certain. When you look at our DB talent compare to other positions and how much we play 5 and even 6 DBs it makes perfect sense. I think Behre can stick as the 5th safety. I think some miss about practice squad is that it’s open to anyone to grab your players. I think if we subjected Taylor to PS and if we did the same with Behre this year they would be signed by another team over the course of the year if not claimed to be on their 53 when cuts are made. Going to the PS to me means I good chance we lose Behre. And I don’t think it’s worth losing him for some end of the roster JAG at another position like Herzlich or Brewer.

I think Bowman is superior to McBride and is our 4th CB. Bowman is better in this system using more press man coverage and better on specials. That leaves us down to McBride vs James for the last CB spot. I don’t think you keep a vet that might be a little better over a young guy with promise for a deep backup position like 5th CB. However, reading what the coaches are saying about McBride, James is in trouble. No way can we cut both Behre and James in my view, that’s way too much young talent going to waste.

My point about Austin builds from not keep a vet as a deep backup. I always felt we should have kept Austin over Rodgers and I stated that last year. I’m not denying Rodgers outplayed him last preseason but to me a position that’s going to get limited snaps I rather take the chance on the younger player with talent to help build the roster for the future.

Many people did want to keep Sash over Taylor because he looked so raw they thought he could just be hid on PS. It’s one thing to hide an undrafted guy from a small school but a 5th round pick that shows promise in camp and games is extremely difficult to hide. I guy who showed nothing like McCants still got picked up by someone.

Hey, I’d love it if they keep Berhe because I think he’s going to be a player. But going with 10 defensive backs means they have to give up something somewhere (actually “somewheres”). I wouldn’t mind that but I suspect many others would.

It would mean they cannot keep both of the young wide receivers, so probably Washington disappears. It means they probably can’t keep an extra offensive lineman and would be going with only nine, which means they wouldn’t get to develop one of the many young guys they’ve brought in this camp, at least one of whom will probably look good enough to compete with Herman and would gain the experience needed when a number of the older guys disappear after this season because they’re on one-year deals. Quarles almost definitely gets sent to the practice squad because they can only carry nine defensive linemen and Bromley will be #9. No chance for keeping both fullbacks even if it looks like the tight ends aren’t able to make the necessary blocks that will help the running game when they are lined up in the backfield.

So would you still keep Berhe? Tough choice.

I’m looking at keeping 8 OL. I think the 9th we keep would just be to balance out the roster but we could find an equal player on our PS or on the street.

I’m also considering 5 LBs again but only if Beason proves he’s ready for week 1 before getting down to 53.

I’m keeping Behre. I’m putting Herman and Quarles on PS. Right now I keep Harris and Washington over Manningham. But if Manningham proves healthy I would keep Washington over Harris because I think Harris is easier to hide on PS because I think Washing will make another wow play or two. But we would be more likely to keep Harris over Washington because Harris is a guy we can trust.

Well, if you think we could just sign a street free agent who would come in and be able to help in a pinch on the offensive line, without having worked in McAdoo’s system all season, then I think you’re nuts. Even grabbing someone from the practice squad would be risky since they wouldn’t have had enough snaps with the others. Fewer than 9 offensive linemen would be taking the kind of huge risk that good teams rarely take.

Five linebackers? That means only Beason, McClain, Williams, Paysinger and Kennard. Neither Herzlich nor Fox? That would probably diminish the special teams pretty badly. I don’t see it.

But who knows? Frankly, thanks to likely injuries and the quality of play, the depth charts and roster decisions will change dozens of times between now and September.

I think at some point in the next few weeks we have to consider a trade of a guy like James or McBride to help us at another position. I would look at adding a RB. I wasn’t impressed by Hillis and I don’t think Gaskins is good enough to make the roster. PS maybe but not the roster.

I suspect Hillis will be fine.

Trades at this part of the season are pretty rare. It would be nice if we could get value out of the positions where we have too much talent, but it’s too early for that. Injuries happen. It would be pretty foolish if we traded one of the corners and the next day one went down in practice. We’re better off waiting to cut someone and then hoping he’s still available should he be needed later.

I’m talking about a minor trade. for a guy 3rd or 4th on a depth chart but has more of a Wilson skill set. A few of these trades happen every year.

I’m going to the game on Saturday, although I usually give away my tickets for preseason games. We have so many young players, and new faces, that I want to see for myself what’s going on. These are two proud franchises that have to build themselves back up and have great organizations. I expect to see plenty of young talent on that field.

I’m going to be especially keen to observe the offensive line and the tight ends. Both units still have something to prove and that needs to start happening sooner rather than later.

9.  Nosh.0 says:

If McBride is healthy then that’s the guy I go with. He’s earned a spot based on last years play and I’m pretty sure he’s a 1.3 mill cap hit this year, so I think the guy is pretty much a lock. Barring an injury setback we have our top 5 corners.

And no surprise Eli has been hitting rb’s in the back of the head. Kid has never been able to throw a proper screen.

•  GmenMania says:

Agreed on McBride. No way he gets cut when he’s clearly better than those that he’s competing with based on last year’s play.

Given McBride’s track record before last year I don’t think you can assume anything. James is very good and Hosley is very talented.

•  GmenMania says:

I don’t get where all this James love comes from. What has the guy ever done to prove that he’s “very good”? He’s a likeable kid and a hard worker, but that doesn’t make him a good player. He certainly has done less to prove his worth than has McBride.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

Gonna be interesting to see Haekeem Nicks tonight vs. The Jets. Word in Indy is that he’s been utterly unimpressive. And he’s listed as 3rd WR on their Depth Chart.

man, how the mighty have fallen.