August 7th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

New York Giants cornerback Trumaine McBride may still be recovering from a hip injury that plagued him during the 2013 season and surgery to repair a torn labrum this past January, but he hasn't allowed either to slow him down in practice. Rather, McBride has been a shining star for the Giants in training camp, even recently drawing praise from head coach Tom Coughlin.

"He intercepts a ball and runs 80 yards every day and they tell me he can’t play. I’m looking at [team doctors] like, ‘Who has the two heads right here?’ Every day he takes one and goes 80. He looks pretty good to me," Coughlin said.

Despite McBride's strong practice performances, he's still a little ways away from being medically cleared. He's already been ruled out for Saturday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, but the hope is he can return the following week against the Indianapolis Colts.

"Right now they’re saying that he’s got one more to go," Coughlin added.

In the mean time, McBride is just focused on opening eyes in practice. With the new additions of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond III, Zack Bowman and Bennett Jackson, he realizes competition is stiff. So whether he gets first-team reps, second-team reps or otherwise, McBride simply wants to make one big play per practice to ensure everyone remembers he's still there and still a quality player.

"That's the goal for me every practice, whether I'm first on the depth chart or second or third is to just make a play every day" McBride told Newsday. "Right now I'm just following the doctors' plan. I wouldn't say I feel 100 percent, but I feel good. … "I wasn't [100 percent] last year and I showed I can play hurt."

So far, so good. But the real test will come a little more than a week from now when he returns to the field against former teammate Hakeem Nicks and the Indianapolis Colts.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Bennett Jackson, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Football, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Colts, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tom Coughlin, Trumaine McBride, Walter Thurmond, Zack Bowman

Short URL:

13 Responses to “New York Giants’ Trumaine McBride Inching Closer to a Return; Opening Eyes in Camp”

See, this is why I’ve been saying that making the team as a corner is going to be REALLY hard. The talent level is amazing.

We know that DRC, Prince and Thurmond are the top dogs. And I think that Bowman is just about a lock because of his special team abilities, where he is one of the best in the NFL (and he’s a pretty decent corner). I think Bennett is definitely headed to the practice squad. We may lose him, but so be it. There just isn’t room for him this season, and that may be the case next season too (though converting him to a safety may make sense in 2015 depending upon who returns).

That leaves Hosley, James and McBride fighting for what looks to be one position (but, see below why I said Bowman is “just about” a lock). That’s GREAT for the Giants because each of them is either proven or very promising.

Fortunately for Hosley, who has gotten off to a rough start, he is suspended for four games and won’t count against the roster, so he’ll be put on ice and can hope that someone gets hurt or plays horribly and opens up a job for him. It’s possible, though, that he will have to conveniently wind up on IR if he tweaks something over the next month.

That means it comes down to McBride versus James, and I really believe the team cannot lose in either case.

I said this last week, but it bears repeating: these coaches have seen McBride perform well for them. That gives him a huge leg up in the competition. In fact, they KNOW he can handle starting against good receivers if called upon, because he did it last year and did it pretty well. The fact that he is impressing in camp WHILE HE’S INJURED has to go a long way toward Coughlin insisting he is to be kept because, like all good coaches, TC wants guys who can play effectively when they are hurt.

I love Charles James and am sure he can play in this league. He might also prove a terrific option as a punt returner. But he faces long odds if he is to sneak onto the roster. He’ll have to make a lot of plays and really clearly outplay McBride, and maybe even Bowman, over the next four weeks. That’s his only chance. Part of doing that would have to be his showing he’s so valuable as a returner that his value on special teams approaches or surpasses that of Bowman. Tall order, but possible.

Keep in mind, too, that while Hosley is not doing well right now, he is a tremendous athlete who, once he “gets it” could turn into an elite corner, particularly in the slot, where there is no assurance that Thurmond will be back after this season since he’s looking for a multi-year deal.

I think McBride will be on the roster at the expense of one of James and Bowman, probably the former. That final cut will be a very hard one for the team to determine. But it’s an awfully good problem for the Giants and one they have certainly not had the luxury of over the past years.

This secondary is going to be special.

Austin is an example of why I saw give players time. Not everyone you can wait for and I understand though didn’t agree with the release of Austin. I rather give a guy a full shot like Barden that never gets it than miss on a player we had but weren’t patient enough. But trying to win now but not mortgage the future is a delicate balance.

Even if Austin proves to be good, which is HIGHLY speculative at this point, we won’t miss him given what we have at defensive tackle. Of course you can always say that we wouldn’t have had to use a high draft pick on Hankins and a mid-round pick on Bromley, but the fact remains that the position is one of strength on this season’s team.

And IF this kid proves to be good he will be the only young player they’ve given up on who did. Every once in awhile a player will slip through the net, but Austin really gave them nothing while he was here. You cannot second-guess that decision. He was a total bust when they gave up on him.

•  skinnydoogan says:

The one thing the Giants HAVE been right on are the players they chose to let go.

We are fine a DT now. But we invested a 3rd round pick in a DT that could have gone elsewhere if we kept Austin. It’s over now but that’s why you try to hold on to young talent because it’s costs in the draft or free agency to replace them. That’s why I urged us to keep Cooper and urge us to keep Behre.

I don’t Austin was a totally bust here. He played pretty well last summer it’s just that Patterson and Rodgers outplayed him. It could be a similar situation with James. I rather keep James over McBride for the same reasons even if McBride slight outplays him.

A lot of people wanted to keep Taylor, in some part because we all knew that there was risk involved with Hill and no guarantee that Brown would be signed or would be a long-term solution. I don’t think there was anyone who preferred retaining Sash to Taylor.

As for Berhe, while I was a fan of his from the day he was drafted, it is ridiculous to suggest he be kept over Demps, which is clearly what you’re suggesting since I assume you are not proposing that he be kept over Rolle, Brown or Taylor. Demps has experience, the better body type to play in the box (which is what both he and Berhe would be called upon to do), is a little faster, and can return kicks. He’s not even 30 years old, so hardly old for a safety. In what universe would it make sense to keep Berhe and dump Demps? Berhe will go to the practice squad (barring injuries) and learn his craft and hopefully be available next season if one of the veterans doesn’t return. They cannot keep five safeties since they’ll be keeping five corners. I think this is an open-and-shut case, but you keep making an argument that I think just doesn’t make sense.

As to Austin, if after three years in the league he couldn’t do enough to beat out the guys who played tackle last year then it was time to cut ties with him. And you never know who would have been drafted with those picks you mention. As a matter of fact, I’d argue that HAVING to go and get Hankins and Bromley may prove to have been the best thing that happened to the defensive line since they drafted JPP. Hankins is going to be a star (far better than Joseph will ever be) and Bromley may prove to be a pretty good player who can be part of the rotation for years. And let’s wait and see what Austin does before suggesting it was a mistake to let him go. People are still insisting that letting Cofield and Joseph go were huge mistakes, but no one ran against the Giants last season and I think the defensive line will be even better in 2014. And neither Cofield nor Joseph was a particularly great pass-rusher. They were primarily run-stoppers. We now have plenty of those. Will Austin prove to be the QB-killer at defensive tackle he was supposed to be? maybe, but I doubt it, regardless of whether he’s playing with the starters where he finds himself now.

3.  GmenMania says:

I think everyone here is hugely underrating McBride. This is a guy who was a solid starter for us last year when almost every other cornerback sucked. He’s shown he can hold up against top competition, something none of Bowman (who I really like), James, or Hosley has shown.

I think he will most likely make the roster and 100% deserves to over all 3 of the guys I just named.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I agree, I like the guy, and he is proven.

I’m not underrating him. I think he was quite good last season and could be getting better. It may be that he just didn’t get the opportunity with his past teams.

You’re really talking about GOAT. While I really like Charles James I’ve said that he’s unlikely to make the final roster because McBride and probably Bowman are ahead of him. Hosley is, right now, a great athlete who is not showing he has what it takes to be a successful NFL corner.

I think McBride sticks, and I would not fear having him starting if one of the top three go down. In fact, I suspect the coaches will feel exactly the same, which is why he will make the team.

4.  GmenMania says:

UUT

5.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

Mcbride was ranked #2 cornerback last year according to pro football focus which is actually pretty accurate. He was number 2 at completion percentage and yards per catch .